Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan 4K - Code 36 - Low Fuel or What?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Hello--

A concern with my Onan 4000 Microquiet series. It is on my 2009 Tahoe Toyhauler.

Background....

Purchase this TH last year. Genny ran fine when purchased. 145 hours on the clock. Brought it home and drained all gas out as owner said it was several months old. Serviced genny with new plug, new fuel filter, new air filter, and changed oil. All OEM Onan parts. Put in 5 gallons of fresh fuel. Genny ran but was running up/down in the rpms. I exercised it for one hour with AC running. I believe the RPM fluctuation was a dirty carb.

Now, 6 months later, I decided to run genny but went ahead and drained fuel as it was 6 months old. Put in 5 gallons of fresh fuel and added 2-3 ounces per gallon of Seafoam to clean carb and stabilize fuel.

Genny will not start. Primed for about 15 seconds and it wants to start but will not start. Removed fuel line at carb and pressed start to see if fuel was pumping and it was pumping fine.

Attempted to start again and this time primed for one minute and it started and ran for about 5 mins then stopped. The trouble code lights indicated 3 and 6 which is 36. In my Onan manual this code states low on fuel.

I went ahead an added 5 more gallons of fuel with more Seafoam (2-3 ounces per gallon). Primed a few more times and got it to start and ran for about 10 mins. RPM were running up and down, then settled, then went back to up/down. Went to turn on AC and genny died.

Questions:

1. Do TH gennys have the protective shut off of fuel when tank reaches 1/4 full... as do motorhomes? How would I know where/if this shut off valve exists on my TH?

2. Is it possible that 10 gallons (1/3 tank) is not enough fuel to run correctly?

3. What else can it be?

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
1 REPLY 1

dedmiston
Duplicate thread. Closed.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230