cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dome Satellite is it capable of getting service??

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Fleetwood expedition with a satellite dish on it we have never used. Will this thing work if I get a service? What do I need to check? I am switching to one of the satellite companies from Comcast in my home and would like to get some TV service when we travel. What are my options?

The satellite is a TracVision LF/SF I don't seem to have a reciever but there is a switch box.

When I bought this MH it had some old school Panasonic TV's and a entertainment center with a VHS and a surround sound system. I removed the old TV's and installed 2 new smart TV's with a new entertainment surround sound system that has blue ray and FM stereo.

I did not try and connect the TV's to any of the old cables so they only work with the blue ray players. The bedroom TV has it's own blue ray player.

There is a switch box that allowed switching to each TV and is marked SAT & VHS I will try and post a picture of that I am guessing it won't work with the newer TV's.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
26 REPLIES 26

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
I have the Pro and went with the releasable roof mount...best of portable and fixed mount!

My current dish is over the drivers area on the MH that is pretty high off the ground to install and remove. I wanted to install the new dish in place of the old dish. This is a Class A and it is probably 11-12' off the ground. I have a ladder on the rear off the coach but I really don't want to have to get on the roof. I am not scared of heights I am a retired lineman it just seems like a hassle but I may end up doing that.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Pro and went with the releasable roof mount...best of portable and fixed mount!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If that decision is done then good luck, it should be just fine. The better choice, IMHO, is the Winegard Pathway X2.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Follow up we have not been able to get the old dish to work with the Walley receiver. I have dealt with Dish and their tech support and tech support from KVH. The guy from KVH says the dish will work with an older receiver one of the 211 series receivers but it will only track one satellite and I won't get all the channels. You can hear the dish moving and it even shows it locking on but it is still not working.

I am going to just get a newer dish and use this Walley receiver. Now I just have to make up my mind about mounting it in place of the old dish or leaving it portable. I just ordered the Tailgater Pro.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I contacted Dish today and they told me my TracVission LF/SF will work with Dish. They told me that my system was a high end dish that they normally see on boats. I questioned them and the guy was in tech support and said it would work. I ordered a receiver so I guess I will see when it comes in. I won't be out anything because if it doesn't work I will just buy a new dish I need the receiver either way.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I completely agree that a roof mounted dome (even a removable one) is great, but the roof is a very dangerous place. Having to go up and down frequently can be risky. If you "must" go dome the Pathway X2 is still the best DISH dome available. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the X2 is not roof mountable. The dome is larger and it can handle both the Eastern and Western sets of DISH satellites.
To the OP, remember that the thing in orbit that cost a billion dollars is a satellite. The thing on the ground (under the dome or not) that costs $400 is called the antenna.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just be advised that 2 tuners with one dome( that has 2 outputs ) will work ... as Bill says ...... kinda but not really. Most people arenโ€™t happy as the secondary receiver doesnโ€™t control the dome aim and can be โ€œconfusedโ€ and require resetting.( frequently ) Many people come on here and are very frustrated. Donโ€™t be that guy. Be forewarned
Several domes have a roof mount kit that the dome locks into and it can just be popped out for use elsewhere. They arenโ€™t permanent. If it were me thatโ€™s what I would do. No need to store the dome in a bay and only need you take it down if Iโ€™m under ( around ) trees that block the view. Actually personally I would consider 2 domes if the second tv watching something else is important .I have a traveler and just sold my ground dome as I wasnโ€™t using it in the locations we camp the roof traveler is good enough
Also Get one of the aiming apps for your phone like in the photo above. they use your phones cameras to show the real time view of the satellite position . If there any trees ,bushes ,buildings, mountains in the way you can easily tell if your wasting your time. If your staying at a commercial park ask for a sat view site .. almost anybody understands what you want.
Bill

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info this has been very helpful. I am leaning towards Dish and they sent me an offer for a $300 gift card that will almost pay for the satellite.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gundog wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
One receiver, HDMI splitter and wireless HDMI to the BR, both TVs watch the same show and make sure you have a RF remote.

If I have 2 receivers can each TV watch a different channel with one dish? We take grandkids a lot and in the evening when they watch kid shows I go to the bedroom and watch my own shows so I really don't want both TV's watching the same channel.

I am still up in the air about hard mounting the dish or leaving it portable. I will run new coax cable to both TV's.

Yes and/or no. If you are using a dome and DISH, the programming comes from 3 different satellites. As long as you are both watching programs that come from the same satellite then you can watch 2 different channels on 2 different TV's. If you are using a dome with DirecTV then you can watch 2 different channels on 2 different TV's but all in SD. Most importantly, if DTV drops all SD programming as they have been promising for almost 2 years, you will get HD from your dome but you will only get a limited number of channels.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes if the dish supports it and you have a multiswitch. DTV Genie is another option.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
One receiver, HDMI splitter and wireless HDMI to the BR, both TVs watch the same show and make sure you have a RF remote.

If I have 2 receivers can each TV watch a different channel with one dish? We take grandkids a lot and in the evening when they watch kid shows I go to the bedroom and watch my own shows so I really don't want both TV's watching the same channel.

I am still up in the air about hard mounting the dish or leaving it portable. I will run new coax cable to both TV's.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
A couple questions I have the main TV above the drivers area and one in the bedroom from what I understand I will need a receiver for each TV? I will also need to upgrade the coax cable from the cable that came with the unit? Do they not make wireless versions of this equipment? It seems kind of old fashion to hard wire something these days.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have switched between both satellite service providers many times over the years and with the exception of a few channels, 95% of the content they carry is identical. Since Directv came onto the scene way back when, we have installed and set up our own sat. antennas at our residences and while RVing. Becomes easy with practice and a good compass.

We are currently with Dish and our recent RV purchase included a Dish Tailgator Pro dome which has worked very well. We pull into our site and begin hooking up our power, sewer, and fresh water. By the time we have put down our levelers and extended our slides, our Dish satellite tv service is ready to go without us having to initiate the process.

I did install the roof mount, it allows for quick removal in case dome must be relocated due to trees or other obstructions. I still carry the tripod and HD sat antenna just in case, haven't had to use it though. For your situation, the Dish Playmaker/Wally receiver combo is well priced ($350), offers HD content, and is easy to set up.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Again, the dome "should" work with DirecTV but the issue is no HD programming and will not work without the SWM8 hardware if the OP plans to use the equipment DTV installs in his homw. I am not sure that the Tracvision dome is even capable of using the SWM8 kit.
The dome "should NOT" work with DISH and WILL NOT work with the Hopper/Joey combination that would be installed in his home. A new portable like the Pathway X2 and a separate Wally receiver for the house or left in the RV would work but require some coax cabling updates.