Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dome Satellite is it capable of getting service??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Dome Satellite is it capable of getting service??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
jorbill2or

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just be advised that 2 tuners with one dome( that has 2 outputs ) will work ... as Bill says ...... kinda but not really. Most people aren’t happy as the secondary receiver doesn’t control the dome aim and can be “confused” and require resetting.( frequently ) Many people come on here and are very frustrated. Don’t be that guy. Be forewarned
Several domes have a roof mount kit that the dome locks into and it can just be popped out for use elsewhere. They aren’t permanent. If it were me that’s what I would do. No need to store the dome in a bay and only need you take it down if I’m under ( around ) trees that block the view. Actually personally I would consider 2 domes if the second tv watching something else is important .I have a traveler and just sold my ground dome as I wasn’t using it in the locations we camp the roof traveler is good enough
Also Get one of the aiming apps for your phone like in the photo above. they use your phones cameras to show the real time view of the satellite position . If there any trees ,bushes ,buildings, mountains in the way you can easily tell if your wasting your time. If your staying at a commercial park ask for a sat view site .. almost anybody understands what you want.

Bill

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I completely agree that a roof mounted dome (even a removable one) is great, but the roof is a very dangerous place. Having to go up and down frequently can be risky. If you "must" go dome the Pathway X2 is still the best DISH dome available. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the X2 is not roof mountable. The dome is larger and it can handle both the Eastern and Western sets of DISH satellites.
To the OP, remember that the thing in orbit that cost a billion dollars is a satellite. The thing on the ground (under the dome or not) that costs $400 is called the antenna.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Gundog

Ridgefield, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I contacted Dish today and they told me my TracVission LF/SF will work with Dish. They told me that my system was a high end dish that they normally see on boats. I questioned them and the guy was in tech support and said it would work. I ordered a receiver so I guess I will see when it comes in. I won't be out anything because if it doesn't work I will just buy a new dish I need the receiver either way.

2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

Gundog

Ridgefield, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Follow up we have not been able to get the old dish to work with the Walley receiver. I have dealt with Dish and their tech support and tech support from KVH. The guy from KVH says the dish will work with an older receiver one of the 211 series receivers but it will only track one satellite and I won't get all the channels. You can hear the dish moving and it even shows it locking on but it is still not working.

I am going to just get a newer dish and use this Walley receiver. Now I just have to make up my mind about mounting it in place of the old dish or leaving it portable. I just ordered the Tailgater Pro.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If that decision is done then good luck, it should be just fine. The better choice, IMHO, is the Winegard Pathway X2.

* This post was edited 11/26/20 04:49pm by Bill.Satellite *

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Pro and went with the releasable roof mount...best of portable and fixed mount!

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Gundog

Ridgefield, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

I have the Pro and went with the releasable roof mount...best of portable and fixed mount!

My current dish is over the drivers area on the MH that is pretty high off the ground to install and remove. I wanted to install the new dish in place of the old dish. This is a Class A and it is probably 11-12' off the ground. I have a ladder on the rear off the coach but I really don't want to have to get on the roof. I am not scared of heights I am a retired lineman it just seems like a hassle but I may end up doing that.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Dome Satellite is it capable of getting service??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.