Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dome Satellite is it capable of getting service??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Dome Satellite is it capable of getting service??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 12:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've heard the stories before about an older dish not being worth your time!
I've have and have used a very old Datron dish for my Direct TV. I also have an older King Come in motion that still received Direct TV....yes, OK, neither one of these gets HD but there's still so much confusion regarding the direction Direct is taking in months or years to come....heck you keep hearing Direct is up for sale. Being one to cover all my bases, I acquired a portable domed Dish antenna since a buddy had an extra receiver....I only activate this when out on an extended trip.
Good luck.....

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a 2005 dish the odds are LOW it will work but not zero. Especially on Dish Network. But here are some issues

Dish changed something so depending on how it "locks on" a satellite it may not be able to lock on they also added a 3rd satellite

Direct changed frequency bands for the most part.

So as I said not zero. but very very low

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again, the dome "should" work with DirecTV but the issue is no HD programming and will not work without the SWM8 hardware if the OP plans to use the equipment DTV installs in his homw. I am not sure that the Tracvision dome is even capable of using the SWM8 kit.
The dome "should NOT" work with DISH and WILL NOT work with the Hopper/Joey combination that would be installed in his home. A new portable like the Pathway X2 and a separate Wally receiver for the house or left in the RV would work but require some coax cabling updates.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have switched between both satellite service providers many times over the years and with the exception of a few channels, 95% of the content they carry is identical. Since Directv came onto the scene way back when, we have installed and set up our own sat. antennas at our residences and while RVing. Becomes easy with practice and a good compass.

We are currently with Dish and our recent RV purchase included a Dish Tailgator Pro dome which has worked very well. We pull into our site and begin hooking up our power, sewer, and fresh water. By the time we have put down our levelers and extended our slides, our Dish satellite tv service is ready to go without us having to initiate the process.

I did install the roof mount, it allows for quick removal in case dome must be relocated due to trees or other obstructions. I still carry the tripod and HD sat antenna just in case, haven't had to use it though. For your situation, the Dish Playmaker/Wally receiver combo is well priced ($350), offers HD content, and is easy to set up.

Gundog

Ridgefield, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple questions I have the main TV above the drivers area and one in the bedroom from what I understand I will need a receiver for each TV? I will also need to upgrade the coax cable from the cable that came with the unit? Do they not make wireless versions of this equipment? It seems kind of old fashion to hard wire something these days.

2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One receiver, HDMI splitter and wireless HDMI to the BR, both TVs watch the same show and make sure you have a RF remote.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Gundog

Ridgefield, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

One receiver, HDMI splitter and wireless HDMI to the BR, both TVs watch the same show and make sure you have a RF remote.

If I have 2 receivers can each TV watch a different channel with one dish? We take grandkids a lot and in the evening when they watch kid shows I go to the bedroom and watch my own shows so I really don't want both TV's watching the same channel.

I am still up in the air about hard mounting the dish or leaving it portable. I will run new coax cable to both TV's.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes if the dish supports it and you have a multiswitch. DTV Genie is another option.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gundog wrote:

CA Traveler wrote:

If I have 2 receivers can each TV watch a different channel with one dish? We take grandkids a lot and in the evening when they watch kid shows I go to the bedroom and watch my own shows so I really don't want both TV's watching the same channel.

I am still up in the air about hard mounting the dish or leaving it portable. I will run new coax cable to both TV's.

Yes and/or no. If you are using a dome and DISH, the programming comes from 3 different satellites. As long as you are both watching programs that come from the same satellite then you can watch 2 different channels on 2 different TV's. If you are using a dome with DirecTV then you can watch 2 different channels on 2 different TV's but all in SD. Most importantly, if DTV drops all SD programming as they have been promising for almost 2 years, you will get HD from your dome but you will only get a limited number of channels.

Gundog

Ridgefield, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 10:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the info this has been very helpful. I am leaning towards Dish and they sent me an offer for a $300 gift card that will almost pay for the satellite.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Dome Satellite is it capable of getting service??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.