Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The Flag of the United States of America
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> The Flag of the United States of America

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Dave Pete

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lately I've been seeing increasing United States of America flag fabric being used for mouth and face coverings. This has made me so sad.

As a member of the Boy Scouts of America 50 years ago, I learned all kinds of wonderful lessons about being a good person, a good man and a good citizen, not the least of which was flag etiquette.

I keep my Father's veteran service funeral flag - a large one, maybe five feet by nine feet or so - in a respectful place, to take out and hold onto once in awhile - reflect on things.

Watching the flag "miss-flown" on a vehicle makes me sad (it should be at the right front - so as to display to a viewer's left side as the vehicle approaches them and to be first in the approach of that vehicle - and perhaps not as an everyday thing, but rather for special occasions like parades or other ceremonies).

It should never be used as a decoration, which should only be done with bunting and the blue bunting should always be at the top of the white and red.

No marks upon it, like campaign information. These items for sale should be outright rejected by good American consumers.

I'm not so sure about clothing. I had a flag shirt once when I was young; I felt it was patriotic. But I'd never do pants; I would never have a desire to sit on the symbol of my love of country, even while expressing my right as an American citizen - fully recognizing with those rights come responsibilities. I think clothing is probably wrong, just because of what most of us do with our dirty clothes.

But as a mask? To captured breathed disease? To filter spittle, and aerosols from self and others? The etiquette says not to used the flag for a temporary (disposable) function, and says not to use it as a vessel, or container for carrying anything. That defines it good enough for me.

Another thing Boy Scouts taught me was the quintessential helping the little old lady across the street, and of course the subsequent joke about how she had never WANTED to cross that street in the first place. Now it seems instead, we raise a middle finger to her and make sure she knows she's on her own, and maybe we'll even hurt her if we feel dissed. Ain't getting no help from me in my righteous indignation. Because were mad. Were all mad. Even crazy it seems.

If you too have wondered just how far people are going to be asked to go, maybe you could just start here. Don't let them hi-jack our flag anymore. Don't buy in to it.

https://www.vfw.org/community/flag-etiquette

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think there’s a BIG difference between a “flag” and the stars & stripes design on something, be it a hat, t-shirt, window decal or other item.

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see your point,but most clothing is not a "flag" per say. It may be stars and stripes designed,but not made from a flag.

And I was raised that the flag was red,white and blue. But even the military has green and black flags on the combat uniforms,and for a good reason.

As the old saying goes..."Times are changing",not always for the better though.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You sir are an OG patriot. Flag use to be sacred. However folks have 1rst amendment rights to do as they please.
I may not like it,but I spent four years in service to our nation to defend the right to do it.
Yep masks, bikinis swim suits,thin blue line, thin red line,Flags with the presidents image superimposed or intertwined. These are all violations of the "National Flag Code". Flag Code is just that code, not law!

Best and only thing you can do is chafe silently and be quiet!

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Difficult issue folks, several perspectives. Just keep politics out of it. Thanks; and be safe please.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave Pete wrote:

Lately I've been seeing increasing United States of America flag fabric being used for mouth and face coverings. This has made me so sad.

As a member of the Boy Scouts of America 50 years ago, I learned all kinds of wonderful lessons about being a good person, a good man and a good citizen, not the least of which was flag etiquette.

I keep my Father's veteran service funeral flag - a large one, maybe five feet by nine feet or so - in a respectful place, to take out and hold onto once in awhile - reflect on things.

Watching the flag "miss-flown" on a vehicle makes me sad (it should be at the right front - so as to display to a viewer's left side as the vehicle approaches them and to be first in the approach of that vehicle - and perhaps not as an everyday thing, but rather for special occasions like parades or other ceremonies).

It should never be used as a decoration, which should only be done with bunting and the blue bunting should always be at the top of the white and red.

No marks upon it, like campaign information. These items for sale should be outright rejected by good American consumers.

I'm not so sure about clothing. I had a flag shirt once when I was young; I felt it was patriotic. But I'd never do pants; I would never have a desire to sit on the symbol of my love of country, even while expressing my right as an American citizen - fully recognizing with those rights come responsibilities. I think clothing is probably wrong, just because of what most of us do with our dirty clothes.

But as a mask? To captured breathed disease? To filter spittle, and aerosols from self and others? The etiquette says not to used the flag for a temporary (disposable) function, and says not to use it as a vessel, or container for carrying anything. That defines it good enough for me.

Another thing Boy Scouts taught me was the quintessential helping the little old lady across the street, and of course the subsequent joke about how she had never WANTED to cross that street in the first place. Now it seems instead, we raise a middle finger to her and make sure she knows she's on her own, and maybe we'll even hurt her if we feel dissed. Ain't getting no help from me in my righteous indignation. Because were mad. Were all mad. Even crazy it seems.

If you too have wondered just how far people are going to be asked to go, maybe you could just start here. Don't let them hi-jack our flag anymore. Don't buy in to it.

https://www.vfw.org/community/flag-etiquette

And when young I was taught the flag did not normally fly in rain or dark.
And I would never think of burning Stars and Stripes as a form of protest, flying it in the same area as the stars and bars, or a swastika is even more insulting to me.

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am 84 years old and have watched the times change over the years in regards to flags as well as many other things.
I fly the flag and I fly it round the clock in good weather and in bad weather. I take it down if I leave for an extended period, and that is in case it got torn, etc.
I know that is not correct but I do it because I love this country so much and am so proud of America I want every one who passes by to know it.

I would think that any who is wearing a face mask with the stars and strips would feel the same way.

Guy

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

You sir are an OG patriot. Flag use to be sacred. However folks have 1rst amendment rights to do as they please.
I may not like it,but I spent four years in service to our nation to defend the right to do it.
Yep masks, bikinis swim suits,thin blue line, thin red line,Flags with the presidents image superimposed or intertwined. These are all violations of the "National Flag Code". Flag Code is just that code, not law!

Best and only thing you can do is chafe silently and be quiet!

Pitch, thank you for your service. And you are correct. There are many things I don't like but are considered protected. I, too, value that protection over personal feelings. It doesn't hurt one to just ignore it but it will hurt all if those protections are taken away.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SCOTUS ruled in 1989 and again in 1990 desecration of American Flag was protected under the 1st Amendment

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also fly our flag every day. And I also am disgusted when, in my opinion, it is being disrespected.

Having said that, I am not offended by flag face masks, or head scarves, or bikinis. I know they are not actually made from a flag, they are just a representation of the general design of our flag. To actually cut and sew an American flag into some article would offend me. To use the design principle to create that same article, generally won't offend me. On the contrary I appreciate the patriotic gesture that I am sure the owner intended.

But, as said, these are all just guidelines of respect, and we can all choose for ourselves what offends us. I have a US flag decal on the rear window of my truck, my car, my Jeep, and my RV. I wonder if that offends anyone. Don't care, but do wonder.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> The Flag of the United States of America
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.