Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The Flag of the United States of America
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> The Flag of the United States of America

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a flag code flag code

Shall not be worn as clothing (Kid Rock) or as a patch on clothing save for some military and public safety uniforms (the original poster questioned it's use as clothing)

* This post was edited 10/21/20 06:30pm by an administrator/moderator *

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

You sir are an OG patriot. Flag use to be sacred. However folks have 1rst amendment rights to do as they please.
I may not like it,but I spent four years in service to our nation to defend the right to do it.
Yep masks, bikinis swim suits,thin blue line, thin red line,Flags with the presidents image superimposed or intertwined. These are all violations of the "National Flag Code". Flag Code is just that code, not law!

Best and only thing you can do is chafe silently and be quiet!

I think you’re missing one narrow point, the National Flag Code only applies to a FLAG.

A t-shirt with the Stars & Strips design on it is NOT a flag.

Printing a $100 bill on a t-shirt does NOT make you guilty of counterfeiting, because it’s not intended to be currency.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

I think you’re missing one narrow point, the National Flag Code only applies to a FLAG.

A t-shirt with the Stars & Strips design on it is NOT a flag.

Printing a $100 bill on a t-shirt does NOT make you guilty of counterfeiting, because it’s not intended to be currency.

Exactly. Well said.

Printing the flag on a shirt is not wearing a flag as clothing. Taking a flag and wrapping it like a toga, or around the neck as a scarf, or any number of other ways of wearing an actual flag, would be wearing it as a flag.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember the late Peter Fonda in Easy Rider back in 1969 ?
[image]

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

Printing the flag on a shirt is not wearing a flag as clothing. Taking a flag and wrapping it like a toga, or around the neck as a scarf, or any number of other ways of wearing an actual flag, would be wearing it as a flag.

It matters not if I agree with you or not, Thus I won't even tell you if I do.

* This post was edited 10/21/20 06:30pm by an administrator/moderator *

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nobody mentions intent when folks wear flag inspired clothing. I truly believe that 99% of the folks who do wear such items are intent on showing their patriotism, which is more inspiring than disgusting in my opinion. I have no problem with that whatsoever.

Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Dave Pete

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of views and opinions. What seems to come out though - in spite of opportunity to disagree on some points - is an evidence that we each come to our beliefs sincerely - and arguably from a patriotic stance. That at least, is promising!

When extremist views are pulling us apart, we can more readily agree to find common ground, once we identify it. A love of one another, and a love of country and the symbol we equate to it and to freedom, is surely stronger than any angry pulls one way or another.

It's true, sometimes good principles can be obscured or refined, when new law or constitutional interpretation is forced into consideration.

We have operated a significant portion of our democratic Republic for a long time on the principals of proper and patriotic behavior - freely given. From time to time though, that hasn't been good enough; it hasn't done the job, so we write laws. Sometimes we support them and sometimes we re-address them - either legislatively or judicially.

But always, good citizenship and good behaviors toward American principals have always been preferred over forced behavior by law. It's always better if we just behave in ways that serve one another.

I've heard discouraged view defining The Golden Rule as "he who has the gold makes the rules". I denounce it, even while recognizing the high value of its humor.

But I appreciate the opening chapters of the David McCullough book "Mornings on Horseback", where Teddy Roosevelt's father teaches him those within society who have an advantage, owe more in that society. They should do good for all. I like that. And I know times have changed, but maybe we can shift back more toward that?

To me, that behavior reflects in real-world terms, what it means to "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

We aren't at our best respect for others when there's a law demanding it. We are at or best respect to others when we behave that way just because it's the right thing to do.

Thanks folks, for your thoughts given to the subject, whether silently, or by way of comment. Thank you to our American veterans. And thank you to others who may not have served militarily, but have served or given of themselves in one way or another to the promise of this great American experiment. I'm proud to be one of you! One of us.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Often when somebody is protesting against some action of the government I see 2 issues come up. One is people overlook the fact that protest was listed as protected before people would accept the founding document of the country.
The other is "You don't love your country" I have never come up with a quick retort to "My country, right or wrong". My mother drunk or sober does not work for me.
If a child is acting in a manor that does not meet the parents standards, do we expect the parents to show the child what the standards are, and the actions that are expected? Does that mean the parents do not love the child? How is love of country so much different than love of a child?

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The other is "You don't love your country"

My retort? It's not a question of love but respect. Respect that we can have differing opinions and they are just that-opinions, which are neither right nor wrong.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> The Flag of the United States of America
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.