Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Aluminum Frame vs Wood Frame for washboard roads.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Aluminum Frame vs Wood Frame for washboard roads.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kohldad wrote:

One big advantage to wood with aluminum skin, the average handyman can take the skin off, repair the wood to as good as new and then replace the skin. Even if you can get to the aluminum, it takes special skills and tools to do a repair.

I would like to get one of the clamshell versions and will hopefully stumble across one at some point in the price range I want to pay.

I do go slow on the washboard and bumps. Painfully slow. But, its all about balance.

James
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic Crew Cab 4wd 6.5' bed
1995 Northland Grizzly 860 camper
2002 Cobalt 226

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

When aluminum frame is definitely much better not only strength-wise but also for water resistance, I found that my Fleetwood was build by "minimum wage welder".
Not only the welds were very poor quality, but not much of them and they kept on breaking, so I had to add steel reinforcement on joints.
Bottom line, it all comes to person who does final assemble and quality control.
To answer technical dilemma - aircrafts are generally exposed to high vibrations and guess what most of them are build with.
Few accidents in last decades show that it is steel in turbines who gets fatigued faster, than aluminum airplane body.

I suspect that aircraft is built by highly skilled workers and aluminum thats quite a bit better,stronger then any camper.
Airstream may be the only one thats build well.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

When aluminum frame is definitely much better not only strength-wise but also for water resistance, I found that my Fleetwood was build by "minimum wage welder".
Not only the welds were very poor quality, but not much of them and they kept on breaking, so I had to add steel reinforcement on joints.
Bottom line, it all comes to person who does final assemble and quality control.
To answer technical dilemma - aircrafts are generally exposed to high vibrations and guess what most of them are build with.
Few accidents in last decades show that it is steel in turbines who gets fatigued faster, than aluminum airplane body.

I suspect that aircraft is built by highly skilled workers and aluminum thats quite a bit better,stronger then any camper.
Airstream may be the only one thats build well.

Another thing you will notice , aircraft , airstream and even my old Avion are riveted construction , not welded . I suspect aluminum welds don't hold up as well to twisting and vibration

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....this may be an interesting truck camper build; Dynamo TCX advertise they use Alclad 2024 T3 aluminum (rather than the less expensive 3003 product) and 6063 T5 c-channel framing, everything totally riveted. They advertise: built to order; no stock. Palm City, FL. Looks like factory-direct one-offs. Disclosure: I have no experience with this company: here-->

Good luck in your quest.

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

Another thing you will notice , aircraft , airstream and even my old Avion are riveted construction , not welded . I suspect aluminum welds don't hold up as well to twisting and vibration

How is Avion frame riveted?
I used to own 1965 Airstream and when siding was riveted, the frame was welded.

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The folks that really use their campers off road (ie washboard roads and much, much worse) seem to prefer aluminum framed campers - Four Wheel Campers, All Terrain Campers, OutFitter. The one exception is Hallmark who use molded fiberglass but they offer an aluminum internal frame option.

Good places to read up on this are Expedition Portal and Wander the West.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

ticki2 wrote:

How is Avion frame riveted?
I used to own 1965 Airstream and when siding was riveted, the frame was welded.

I own a 76 airstream and a 68 avion TC . Both have been apart , there were no welds . You would have to show me where the welds are in an airstream .

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I no longer own Airstream, so have to relay on google pictures.
Here is a picture showing gutted frame.
Floor is definitely welded members, when I can't find close-up how walls frame is connected. Looks welded on this picture, but can't say for sure.
Fact is that Airstream made ingenious construction, where both walls and ceiling have single frame member bend to the shape.

[image]
Found close up on window frame. You can clearly see weld on it.

[image]

* This post was edited 10/21/20 03:44pm by Kayteg1 *

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Here is a picture showing gutted frame.
Floor is definitely welded members, when I can't find close-up how walls frame is connected. Looks welded on this picture, but can't say for sure.

Well folks there's your definitive answer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Aluminum Frame vs Wood Frame for washboard roads.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.