Explorer
removed by me
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
5 REPLIES 5

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ah OK, I was confused by your signature, says you have a 5er and a TC. I missed the Leprechaun reference at the end. Makes more sense now talking about a C.:)

Doug is right, damage to the piston from overextension is nothing like what it would be with the C rolling off the jack because the back wheels were in the air.

The correct way to level in that situation would be to drive the rear wheels up on boards or Lynx Levelers to get close to level, then use the hydraulics to fine tune. You probably don't want to unload the suspension more than halfway to be sure you have adequate weight and rolling resistance on the tires. That probably makes the effective range on the Bigfoots about 2" +/-. Surprised they told you differently at the factory.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Well I was not comfortable with the rear tires off the ground. I lowered the unit where the rear tires where on the ground and then also chocked all of the tires for just that reason. So that people don't get confused I will remove my thread starter!
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Either the "guy" misunderstood what you were stating or he is an IDIOT. YOU NEVER LIFT THE REAR TIRES OFF THE GROUND, PERIOD. Regardless of ANY leveling/jack system. The only thing that HOLDS your RV in place,(especially on an incline) is the Parking Brake AND the Transmission Parking Pawl. So, with the rear tires off the ground, and your jacks with blocks supporting the rear of the RV, the RV itself can SLIDE very easily rearward and fall off the jacks. Has NOTHING to do with the length of the Jack piston. Doug

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled straight in. No other place to park. The rear of the class c was a lot lower than than the nose. I need to jack the rear up to level front to back. I thought I was clear about the situation. ๐Ÿ˜ž
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
So you have these installed on your 5er? If you're bringing the back up in a steep driveway does that mean you pulled in? Or does the driveway slope toward the garage and you're backed in?

Glad you like the levelers but not making much sense of your post