Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: I Went Camping With Five Girls!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I Went Camping With Five Girls!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m not kidding, I did.

In my truck camper.

Five nights.

I have pictures.

It was me, The Boss, The Boss’s Sister (TBS, for short).........

And the other three girls were of the feline variety.

Before you scoff at this, try to imagine how hard it must be to keep five females of any species happy while living in a small box for five days.

Well we did it, and it was a great trip for everybody. We left home happy, we came home happy, and there’s already talk of the next trip.

Here’s TBS with the three cats. She’s a cat lover too, fortunately. Kahlua is in her lap, Selina is next to her, and Dixxie is on the floor.

[image]

The trip highlights were: Hannibal, MO for some Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain stuff...Springfield, IL for some Abe Lincoln stuff....and Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site, also in Illinois for some pre-Columbian Native American stuff.

We spent our first night at a COE campground on the St. Francis River in AR.

[image]

Selina started the trip a little cranky at times because she could smell unfamiliar cat smells on TBS and her luggage, so she just KNEW that there were “The Others” hiding in her clothes somewhere. She was growling at everyone, including Dixxie who’s her BFF.

This was right after growling at me!

[image]

Selina is the closest thing to a feral re-domesticated cat we’ve ever had. She was an orphaned kitten that we got when she was only a week or so old. We bottle fed her and took over the role of “cat mom”. Sometimes, I think we failed miserably. Almost everything about her has a uniquely “Selina” twist to it. She’s also our biggest cat, and our most easily frightened. Not a good mix. Trips to the vet with her are always exciting. She tells me my blood type is T+ (very tasty).

She settled down after a short time though, and became her normal self.

Sleep, eat, sleep, eat, sleep, eat........Poop.

[image]

We spent a day in Hannibal visiting all the usual places. We parked on the street near the visitor center, then took the self-guided walking tour. That’s me down the street on the left side.

[image]

The walking tour, museum, lunch, and some gourmet chocolates took most of the day.

[image]

We parked overnight at the campground associated with Mark Twain Cave and Winery, and went on a cave tour the next morning.

[image]

This is a fairly dry cave, with only a few formations. It’s a very large cave with miles of tunnels though, and it would be easy to get lost in it. There are many old autographs and inscriptions in the cave, including Sam Clemens and Jesse James, both authentic.

[image]

The only bat we saw, and it was in the entrance tunnel.

[image]

Went back in to Hannibal to do more sightseeing. Visited the lighthouse that has a very steep approach road.

[image]

Looking down on the town.

[image]

We left Hannibal and headed towards Springfield, IL. Spent the next two nights at Sangchris Lake SP.

Getting ready to grill some burgers.

[image]

The next day we visited Lincoln’s Tomb in Oak Ridge Cemetery. The bust in front of the tomb is a bronze prototype of Lincoln’s head by Gutzon Borglum prior to the creation of the Mount Rushmore monument.

[image]

We then visited the Lincoln home and neighborhood, and the Lincoln Museum that’s nearby. Nothing is open in the Lincoln home historic site due to NPS COVID-19 restrictions. There were still plenty of interesting things to walk around, look at and read about.

[image]

There’s a famous picture of the house with Abe and Tad outside taken from this spot.

[image]

Dixxie likes to view things upside down. I think this was before either of us had our coffee one morning.

[image]

From there, on our last day we headed to Cahokia Mounds Historic Site near St. Louis.

Looking straight on at Monks Mound. From Wikipedia: “Monks Mound is the largest Pre-Columbian earthwork in the Americas and the largest pyramid north of Mesoamerica. The beginning of its construction dates from 900–955 CE.” Cahokia was abandoned by about 1350.

[image]

Side view of Monks Mound.

[image]

[image]

Nice little camper on that old green pickup. I don’t know what those guys are doing digging up the place. Probably plumbers digging up a leaking pipe. They should put some cones out. [emoticon]

[image]

Not as steep as the steps on some of those Mayan temples in Mexico, but steep enough.

[image]

That’s St. Louis off to the southwest.

[image]

The obligatory selfie. I got the T-shirt, too.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was last edited 10/20/20 01:38pm by NRALIFR *   View edit history

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

real nice , by the pics everybody is having fun.

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a great trip and wonderful pictures. Thank you for posting.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a great trip. Thanks for posting.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great trip report!

This reminds me of the Good Old Days of Truck Camper Forum trip reports:
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29270129.cfm

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very informative! Great photos! Thanks for posting!

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice: and you're a better man ---

Cal

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome trip looks like. There was a time when I've been ecstatic to go camping with five girls. NOW, I got one I can barely take care of, but is worth five girls all by herself.

Read this Genie!!

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

IDman

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was born in Hannibal, MO and we moved when I was 9 yr. old. I went back about 10 yr ago just to see it again. These photos brought back some pleasant memories. Also curious....I keep reading how no one can find CG sites but your photos all show you alone!!

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know we're all about truck campers and it's a TC forum but I think these trip reports that are more about people and places are the best. It's also a great TC selling tool. The TC gets in and out of almost everywhere the TT can't. MH would be way over the top for this particular location. If ever I get an itch I have some great pics and stories of my adventures just like this one. Maybe... Great post OP and thanks.
Joe

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I Went Camping With Five Girls!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.