cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM’s official run at Tesla starts with its E Hummer debut.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
44 REPLIES 44

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
free radical wrote:
Seems like GM is full o bufalo manure

https://insideevs.com/news/450345/gm-admits-no-gmc-hummer-ev-exists-yet/
Why is that a surprise? None of the EV companies would be able to "reveal" their products if it weren't for Photoshop and CGI. LOL

ELON MUSK, JAY LENO AND THE 2021 CYBERTRUCK

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
free radical wrote:

Why is that a surprise? None of the EV companies would be able to "reveal" their products if it weren't for Photoshop and CGI. LOL

Fair enough, but in all fairness, Tesla doesn’t do commercials or even advertise really. The only upcoming vehicles they have have working licensed prototypes driving around the freeways.

Just sayin.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Sandy Munro is saying 3,500 payload and 11,000 tow rating.

https://insideevs.com/features/450580/video-hummer-ev-tesla-cybertruck-rivian-r1t-munro/
Whoa, more comparisons of vehicles that don't exist. I figure they'll be comparing the number of fairies that can dance on the head of a pin, to the number that can dance on the head of a nail, next.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
free radical wrote:

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
free radical wrote:
I wonder how many people will actualy take $ 120 grand truck off roading?
Probably not many.
Cybertruck made with that stainles steel body would be my choice
"off road" is a very wide range of potential conditions.

Gravel road to a favorite fishing spot? very possible. Rubicon trail the first week? not as much.
Burning Man? Definitely

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
Reisender wrote:
thomas201 wrote:
I worked for a company where a Chevy 3/4 ton with Quadrasteer was passed around for opinions. We were in the oilfield in the eastern US. This means miles of mud up to the doors. The truck had failures, maybe due to long periods of the steering motor being wet, sometimes submerged. Then it dried out and was surrounded by hard mud, the boots got ripped. It also seemed to want to have the rear climb up out of the ruts. It also seemed to be a weak design, when you got in too deep and the cat had to drag you out backwards. If I remember correctly the steering tie rods and rack and pinion now lead the way in reverse, and found the rocks in the mud. All that stuff was about axle height. Now for rock crawling, maybe a different opinion. Parallel parked good too. We normally did not tow trailers with "white" vehicles so no opinion on towing.

Speaking of towing, any news on the E Hummer on ratings and distance?

Haven’t seen anything on towing. The EV truck gurus figure that the kind of towing it should be able to do is a trailer full of quads or dirt bikes, boats etc. Weekend recreation. Not sure how valid that is. What go hummers typically tow. Guessing it’s classified as a half ton like the Cybertruck and Rivian.

I find it interesting that the suspension and steering technologies could be implemented now on ICE trucks but the closest we have is Ram using air bags on some of their trucks. If this stuff is so good why aren't we seeing more of it now? If it is not good for use today why should we be getting excited about having it two years from now? What are the tradeoffs going to be with air suspension and 4 wheel steer?

I love the possible benefits but I also like stability when towing, reliability and affordable maintenance.

Unecesarily complicated and not realy needed,
its only GM trying to UPstage Tesla with this fancy stuff.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I recall many great compliments from those that actually owned a quadrasteer.
While neither is in production I would trust the Hummer over Cyber for off-road strength and durability of the suspension.
Will be interesting what the off-road people say about each.

I wonder how many people will actualy take $ 120 grand truck off roading?
Probably not many.
Cybertruck made with that stainles steel body would be my choice

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reisender wrote:
thomas201 wrote:
I worked for a company where a Chevy 3/4 ton with Quadrasteer was passed around for opinions. We were in the oilfield in the eastern US. This means miles of mud up to the doors. The truck had failures, maybe due to long periods of the steering motor being wet, sometimes submerged. Then it dried out and was surrounded by hard mud, the boots got ripped. It also seemed to want to have the rear climb up out of the ruts. It also seemed to be a weak design, when you got in too deep and the cat had to drag you out backwards. If I remember correctly the steering tie rods and rack and pinion now lead the way in reverse, and found the rocks in the mud. All that stuff was about axle height. Now for rock crawling, maybe a different opinion. Parallel parked good too. We normally did not tow trailers with "white" vehicles so no opinion on towing.

Haven’t seen anything on towing. The EV truck gurus figure that the kind of towing it should be able to do is a trailer full of quads or dirt bikes, boats etc. Weekend recreation. Not sure how valid that is. What go hummers typically tow. Guessing it’s classified as a half ton like the Cybertruck and Rivian.

I find it interesting that the suspension and steering technologies could be implemented now on ICE trucks but the closest we have is Ram using air bags on some of their trucks. If this stuff is so good why aren't we seeing more of it now? If it is not good for use today why should we be getting excited about having it two years from now? What are the tradeoffs going to be with air suspension and 4 wheel steer?

I love the possible benefits but I also like stability when towing, reliability and affordable maintenance.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
thomas201 wrote:

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recall many great compliments from those that actually owned a quadrasteer.
While neither is in production I would trust the Hummer over Cyber for off-road strength and durability of the suspension.
Will be interesting what the off-road people say about each.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
mkirsch wrote:
Reisender wrote:
thomas201 wrote:
Journey to the past with GM. Don't you guys remember the Quadrasteer, in about 2000 to 2005. Nuthing new. Not impressed then.

I do. One of our neighbours in Palm Springs has one. But I think the tires turn in opposite direction from front to back.

They turn opposite in slow maneuvering, but in the same direction at high speeds.

Ahhh. Ok. That makes sense. Thanks.