Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: GM’s official run at Tesla starts with its E Hummer debut.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM’s official run at Tesla starts with its E Hummer debut.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm. This guy makes some interesting comparisons.

https://youtu.be/qx0y8Kq99PY

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

I think this guy is not seeing this truck for what it is. It is a halo vehicle meant to draw wealthy buyers and investors to pay for the R&D for better lower cost EV models. It is simple trickle down economics to where the wealthy pay for the R&D so tech will get better and the cost will eventually decrease for the masses. Similar to what Tesla did when they first started building cars like the Roadster and model S. Those cars helped fund the other less expensive models and most of the R&D expenses/tech from these cars was carried over as well.

I think it is kind of smart on GM's part to use a halo EV to help fund and research lower cost EV's instead of having all that money coming from other vehicles that don't share the same tech.

* This post was edited 10/21/20 08:57am by ShinerBock *

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Reisender wrote:

I think this guy is not seeing this truck for what it is which is. It is a halo vehicle meant to draw wealthy buyers and investors to pay for the R&D for better lower cost EV models. It is simple trickle down economics to where the wealthy pay for the R&D so tech will get better and the cost will eventually decrease for the masses. Similar to what Tesla did when they first started building cars like the Roadster and model S. Those cars helped fund the other less expensive models and most of the R&D expenses/tech from these cars was carried over as well.

I think it is kind of smart on GM's part to use a halo EV to help fund and research lower cost EV's instead of having all that money coming from other vehicles.

Yah. I tend to agree. And the Hummer name is a good platform for that. They are an iconic brand that collectors and enthusiasts love. The fact that they are already pre-sold out of the most expensive variant attests to this. They’ll probably resell for more than they originally sell for.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just picked up something from the TFL video that goes along with a different recent thread.

At least at first the only color will be WHITE.

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GMC HUMMER EV | “Revolutionary World Premiere”

[image]

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

I just picked up something from the TFL video that goes along with a different recent thread.

At least at first the only color will be WHITE.

Seems to be a trend. The cybertruck will only be...well, whatever the colour of stainless steel is. LOL

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ask this question in all seriousness, outside of some off-road conditions (I assume), why would you need a vehicle to be able to "crabwalk"? I can't think of a driving situation I've been in where that would be useful.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

p220sigman wrote:

I ask this question in all seriousness, outside of some off-road conditions (I assume), why would you need a vehicle to be able to "crabwalk"? I can't think of a driving situation I've been in where that would be useful.

I can't think of any use off road. On road crab steering is supposed to improve stability in sudden lane changes, especially when pulling a trailer. Off road and at low speeds I would expect counter steering to be much more useful.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

p220sigman wrote:

Parallel parking might be easier.

Otherwise just as useful as the "Tank Turn"

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was kind of thinking the lane change thing maybe. I don't off-road so I wasn't sure if there was an application there or not. For parallel parking, it would be great if the wheels turned 90 degrees. Then you could just pull up even with the spot, turn the wheels and slide right in. Just seems like a gimmick to try to add something unique.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM’s official run at Tesla starts with its E Hummer debut.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.