Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford F150 battery drain when towing Travel Trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Ford F150 battery drain when towing Travel Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

Are you perhaps running your RV's absorption refrigerator on the DC setting?

If he had a 12 volt 3 way, it would NOT drain the Ford Battery. The plain fact is, the FORD Charge system should keep the FORD battery charged while in transit. It is NOT, The trailer will not drain a GOOD battery in 3 to 5 hours. Remember, he also has a COACH battery that is hopefully fully charged when he starts out. He has a FORD charge system problem. Doug

prichardson

Lafayette, La

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the condition of the battery on the TT. If it is deeply discharged or shorted it will draw down any other battery (ie the truck battery) connected to it.

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have a '19 F150. Has the dealer found any trouble codes? I'd suggest using the Ford roadside service that comes with the truck next time so you can better document your troubles.
I'm guessing your still under your 36/36,000 bumper to bumper warranty?
Doesn't matter if you bought it used coverage still applies.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree. The trailer simply cannot draw enough amps through that long run of small wire to drain a vehicle battery that is inches from a 140 amp alternator.

A camera or some phones will not draw down a running vehicle battery either.

In the meantime, you might can just disconnect the charging wire that feeds the trailer battery, or pull the fuse if the trailer has one between the battery and the 7-pin plug.
My trailer has solar, so I rarely ever have the vehicle charge the trailer.

Whatever the guy in the above post was talking about with the alternator and the C pin might be the best place to start.

To run a battery down takes some serious work, so the alternator must be at fault (not charging). When alternators die the ECU (trucks computer) and the blower vent fan will run the battery down in 30-45 mins, so your alternator must be putting out some charge that you can go 3-5 hours without the battery being dead.
The camper's battery could possibly contribute voltage back to a dying vehicle battery, but not significant through that long run of small gauge wire.

None of this helps any except to help you eliminate some possibilities and push you towards looking at the alternator first.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rivolva wrote:

I've had the battery, starter and alternator on the F150 checked by 2 different people and each time they have passed with no issues.
The trick is to test it when the fault actually is occurring.

Did AAA check the voltage etc or just jump and go?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

red31

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pulling the 3 wire pin on the alternator and it goes into 13.8v default mode, smart charging disabled.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may have to take both the Truck and attached trailer to Ford for the check out. My co worker had a 2019 fully loaded 450 Ford(diesel) that had issues ONLY when towing. After 45 minutes to 2 hours of towing his NEW 2018 Jayco 36 ft 5th wheel the interior Ford dash Display would go bananas and the truck would go into derate operation phase. It was so bad that even with Ford towing the truck/trailer combo for up to an hour(no fail), they had a Ford team completely deprogram and reprogram the complete Ford computer systems. Did not fix it. Ford bought him out of it before he could Lemon Law it. He purchased another almost identical 450 and has had no problems. There can be Program glitches that cause electrical problems. Doug

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm believing you have either a alternator, or battery problem. Ford electrical systems are disconnected from the trailer when the truck is not running, and if you didn't install the battery charger relay under the hood, it isn't connected at all. I'm guessing you did that.
you have other charging problems. You may even have a dead short.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No dead shorts !

A dead short will blow the fuse, unless it is too big for that wire or non-existent,
In which case the wire will heat up and burn

He has a charging problem

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Ford F150 battery drain when towing Travel Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.