cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel rails and a truck camper

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of adding a truck camper to the fleet, for the boonies. We are going to continue to use the 5th wheel. I want to keep the bed rails since they are very handy with a set of tie downs that fit the slots. The truck is a 2012 Ford, and I might need to raise the camper, even without the rails. So I searched, but I am looking for better ideas.

Options:

1. 2 inch high density foam board, with slots routered out in the bottom for the rails. Bed mat on top.

2. Some 2X6 boards (how many and what pattern), plywood cap and a bed mat on top.

So I cannot be the first. Any other ideas? I do want to be able to pull out the platform by myself, but that is about the only other requirement.

Thanks for the help!
12 REPLIES 12

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I built a 2x2 frame to go around the rails. Supports the whole tc all the way around and covered it with a piece of 1/4" hardboard. Perfect fit and real light to carry out of the way.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
ryoung wrote:
A 4 x 8 sheet of high density construction foam with cutouts to fit over the rails worked well for me for many years with a previous TC and truck.

ryoung

Sounds like a great solution.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
A 4 x 8 sheet of high density construction foam with cutouts to fit over the rails worked well for me for many years with a previous TC and truck.

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I would add that you should consider support for the wings between the wheel wells and the tailgate. Just using a 4x8 sheet will have that part of the camper hanging in mid air.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd vote for Option #1: a 4x8 sheet of high density foam board (HDFB).

Much easier, lighter to use/handle/mod, plus it would provide support to almost the entire bottom of the camper (exception being the area routed out for the hitch/bed rails).

We used several layers of HDFB to keep the front of our camper properly distanced from the front of the bed, plus more layers to keep the camper centered in the front (had a tendency to creep several inches left and right in high winds). Another plus for HDFB, it doesn't scratch the gelcoat on our fiberglass camper.

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
I guess it depends on how the bottom of the camper is finished. Mine has the 2x6 floor joists exposed, with 2" pink foam board squares in between. I added 3 - 2x4s to the underside of the floor joists to get just a bit more clearance at the bedrails and to provide some ventilation under the camper as NRALIFR mentioned.

Having the 2X4s attached to the camper are 3 less things I need to mess with when I load & unload.

Scott

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
No offense taken.

I knew where the structural members are in the floor and how thick they are (stud finder and Lance info) and whether there was any plumbing or wiring to worry about (one drain tube from the fresh water tank, and no wires).

My screws are just as sealed up as the screws Lance used on the bottom. And finally, I like the fact that it sits up off the bed mat now. It stayed wet between the camper and the mat for a long time when it was just a flat surface.

It’s been like this for ~15 years now.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Killingsworth
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have 5th wheel rails, but have used a 2x6 on each side and one down the middle of the bed. I filled in the "in-between" area with foiled foam board, has worked great. I just bought a 4x8 sheet of high density foam and am going to try, using the entire sheet eliminating the 2x6 boards. Ill see how that works on our next trip.
I rejected the idea of attaching anything to the bottom of the camper, on a permanent or even semi permanent basis. I also think, at least for my situation having the "rubber bed mat" on the bottom is the best for me.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think I would screw holes in the bottom of the camper unless you're sure you will be the last owner. I wouldn't buy a used camper that someone did that to. No disrespect meant to NRALIFR.
I would use 2x6 boards on the bed of the truck though. Not screwed in. I would be sure to support the bottom of the camper using the manufacturers recommendation. Maybe use some galvanized framing aids to hold it together.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is to change hitches to a B&W companion. Or something similar.
Joe & Evelyn

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
The first dually pickup I owned came with fifth wheel hitch rails in the bed from the previous owner. I found that 5/4” treated deck boards were just the right height to allow the camper to clear the rails.

I attached them to the bottom of the camper, and also had the smart idea to place two of them so they landed directly in front of the hitch rails. They acted as guides for the camper when lowering it into the bed, and prevented it from moving backwards while traveling.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our 35ft Jayco fifth wheel,we also had a truck camper..I just used 2X4's around the bed rails left to right ..Worked great and were easy to store..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04