cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

best non interstate route from Cottonwood to Albuquerque

LarryDel
Explorer
Explorer
We try to avoid Interstate Highways if possible. Looking for a scenic route from Cottonwood, AZ to Albuquerque, NM with a few campgrounds along the way. Plan to take 2 days to get to our destination.
12 REPLIES 12

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
260 to 60 as someone above said, nice drive with scenery, many got to see along 60. Small RV park in Pie town with full hook ups and walk to town.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if you've already headed out, but I'd take US 89A through Oak Canyon to Flagstaff then east on I-40. Walnut Canyon NM is an interesting stop if you can deal with the hiking. East from there you'll hit Petrified Forest NM. However you want to route it, I'd recommend NM %# to take you past El Morro NM and El Malpais NM. We been to quite a few NP's and NM's and El Moro was really quite an interesting, worthwhile stop. You can do it in a couple of hours.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have taken both the AZ-260/87 route to Winslow and the AZ-260/US-60 route to Socorro. Pie Town and the Very Large Array on US-60 have already been mentioned.

Homolovi Ruins State Park which has a nice campground is near Winslow where you can stand on the corner. Meteor Crater and Petrified Forest National Park are not far from the Arizona/New Mexico border.

In Grants, there is the Mining Museum. Just South of I-40 going West from Grants are El Malpais National Monument, El Moro National Monument, El Malpais National Conservation Area,and the Ice Cave and Bandera Volcano. Acoma Sky City is said to be the longest occuppied location in the U.S.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
I don't know when you plan to do this, but keep in mind that snow and wind start being an issue this time of year in that area. I-25 isn't a very busy x-way except right in the big towns.

I-25 was shut down last night just south of Albuquerque due to snow. More snow predicted tonight. Hope your through here by now.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know when you plan to do this, but keep in mind that snow and wind start being an issue this time of year in that area. I-25 isn't a very busy x-way except right in the big towns.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We took 36 to 117 in NM between 60 and I40 once and it was a nice quiet scenic drive. Shorter than 60 to i25 as well.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Two suggestions, besides Pie Town

The VLA is located on US-60 west of Socorro near Datil (Very Large Array of the National Radio Astronomy Observatory) a bucket list item for space flight geeks. VLA on US-60

Unfortunately COVID closed the information center this summer

The New Mexico Mining Museum in Grants is simply amazing. The basement is a recreation of a uranium museum. Wonderful. Well worth the detour.

Well, I lied, saying two.

El Morro National Mounument on NM-53 is also worth a visit.

We drove US-60 all the way across NM, from Clovis on the Texas border to Springerville, AZ in late June and early July. Only 25 miles of interstate on I-25 as mentioned above. Wonderful road, nothing too challenging as far as grades.

We also drove AZ-260 from Show-Low to Cottonwood. You will climb and descend 5 and 6 percent grades on that route. The stretch from Camp Verde to Payson is steeper and narrower. Nothing crazy, but a definite challenge.

Payson to Show-Low the road is better, more traffic, several passing lanes, and a couple good places to stop on the way.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

dedmiston
NMDriver2 wrote:
Grants is a bit of '50 s route 66 and reservation pueblos.

Great description of Grants. :B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget Pie Town on RT 60!!!!!!
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
You can go through Show Low or up through Gallup. Just put Albu in your google maps destination and Cottonwood as the origin. Then go to options and click on avoid Hiways. On the map Google puts you through to I-40 near Grants but if you stick with US 60 from Quemado you will wind up on I-25 in Socorro and be able to use old US 85 now NM 408 north to San Acacia then on I-25 to US 60 (exit 175) and then back on old 85 (NM116 and 314 after Belen) to Bosque Farms and Albu.

The Google route up north of I-40 is reservation mostly and it is closed now so stick with the routes south of 40 or along the frontage roads of 40.

Lots to see from the Very Large Array on 60, to El Malpais off of I-40, Grants is a bit of '50 s route 66 and reservation pueblos.
Turret Class traveler

dedmiston
azdryheat wrote:
Use the Trip Planner on this forum for a non-interstate route. It gave me a route but if it were me I'd take I-40 as there isn't much to see.

He's from Delaware. I bet the natural roadside scenery would be fascinating to him.

Years ago we drove one of our #2 to school up in Wyoming and kid #3 had to get home ASAP to get back home for high school opening day. I dropped off my wife and kid #3 in Denver to fly home, and then I had all the time in the world and nobody else's input for my drive home.

I could have taken the beeline home, but I aimed for New Mexico just for fun and then shut off the GPS. I drove around on local roadways for a couple of days and zig-zagged generally westerly towards home. I think I finally jumped onto I40 in Winslow and headed home. This was one of my favorite trips ever. I wish I hadn't been alone, but I don't think anyone else would have let me get away with it.

My long-winded point is, one man's "not much to see" is another man's paradise.

Another option is to make yourself a mental BINGO card and aim for random destinations based on your offbeat list. I want to stop at:

* A fry bread stand
* A hatch chili stand
* A fireworks store
* Anasazi ruins
* Native jewelry stand

You get the idea.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Use the Trip Planner on this forum for a non-interstate route. It gave me a route but if it were me I'd take I-40 as there isn't much to see.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE