Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying from a private party
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Buying from a private party

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see anything wrong with their asking price at 109. They will likely settle near what you quoted as the average retail.
Condition, mileage, and extras would be what I'd use to judge the difference within the NADA range.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry for your loss. Depending on how recent it was, I'd suggest maybe waiting a bit before you make any big decisions.
Going from a 40' A to a B is a huge difference. I might suggest renting one for a trip just to see the difference. Also depending on you situation, I might think about looking at selling the A while prices are up, and buying something else when prices settle some.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since nobody has asked the obvious question, I'll do so. What make, model, and mileage is this particular B?

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry for your loss.

Likely owner figures with the hot market, he can ask a premium and someone will pay it.

That may be true, hard to tell.

I would go look at it just for the experience. Do some negotiation discussion to see how much flexibility there is and start to get comfortable with dealing in that environment (unless you already are).

I used to go to new car dealerships and see what kind of deals I could get, sharpen my negotiation skills, see what the latest strategies are etc.. I know this is private party, but some of the skills still apply.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find this interesting......

"I used to go to new car dealerships and see what kind of deals I could get, sharpen my negotiation skills, see what the latest strategies are etc.. I know this is private party, but some of the skills still apply"

After retiring from 30 years in the automobile business, and after running many sales training programs, I have found the following to be true:

1. It is almost impossible for a part-time buyer to out-negotiate a full-time seller. That's just the way it is.

2. From the sellers standpoint, no negotiation without commitment. Throughout my selling career, and as a sales trainer, the cardinal rule is "no price is the right price if it's the wrong vehicle" -- skilled salespeople know if you're a 'today' buyer or not, and adjust their negation techniques accordingly. No secret in the industry.

That being said, I personally HATE to try to buy vehicles nowadays!! The games, turnovers, and entire process just isn't what it used to be. I consider myself very fortunate that I know enough and have access to enough information that I plan to never set foot on a dealership's property again. Last 3 vehicles I bought online/phone. It keeps my blood pressure a good bit lower [emoticon]

Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mumkin wrote:

Personally I always found NADA pretty useless for Class B prices. Especially right now when there is an unusually high demand. People are getting top dollar.

I would recommend going to look at it, just for the experience. BUT...I think I would get that A sold, and window shop for a bit. See what is really out there in the market now and find the one that works best for how you want to use it. You don't want to spend $100K for a 4 year old rig when there are new ones out there for that price.

(Sorry for the loss of your husband... can you drive the Class A since you are full time)

Thank you for your thoughts. I have been the sole driver for the last 11 years when Terry had a series of heart events on the road. He gave it up voluntarily, but was still comfortable driving the cars. He hasn't driven much at all for the last 2 years. He just didn't feel up to it.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

take a friend or two with you,thats pushing the price of a new one.

My son is willing to go.

Dale

Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Nada is a good resource, but demand is thru the roof due to COVID. Dealer inventory is at an all time low and the factories can't keep up with demand. The flip side is that you can ask a premium price for your RV too, so it's all relative.

RV Trader website is a good resource, you can look up the make/model B that you are looking at locally and see what other similar ones are selling for around the US.

You should also run your class A thru NADA as well and get an idea of what they say it's worth, then look up your model on RV Trader and see what they are selling for. That should give you some idea if the seller's "asking premium" is reasonable in this market.

Never hurts to go look at it, if you like it, offer what you think it's worth. There are a lot of variables like low mileage, stored indoors, new tires, transferrable warranty, luxury upgrades, etc., that may justify the asking price.

I have the printout on my Class A Phaeton.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dale

Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

Sorry for your loss. Depending on how recent it was, I'd suggest maybe waiting a bit before you make any big decisions.
Going from a 40' A to a B is a huge difference. I might suggest renting one for a trip just to see the difference. Also depending on you situation, I might think about looking at selling the A while prices are up, and buying something else when prices settle some.

Thank you for the suggestions. I also have a B+. It is an R-Vision Trail-Lite 22 1/2 foot B+ we bought to take to Alaska. We liked her so much that we kept her and have used her multiple times. She is waiting patiently for me to get back home. My thoughts were to empty the Phaeton and sell her, then when I find the layout I want, I will be selling the little one. I have numerous people who have asked us to let them know when we are ready to sell her because she is in really great shape and low miles. I want to go a little newer and a different layout which is why I am looking. Adjusting to the size will be no problem.

Dale

Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Since nobody has asked the obvious question, I'll do so. What make, model, and mileage is this particular B?

It's a 2016 Coach House Arriva with 12,500 on the MB diesel engine. It's not the molded type box like you see on the Platinums.

My Phaeton is a Cat diesel, but I know nothing about the MB diesel. Are they reliable?

Dale

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Buying from a private party
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.