Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Etiquette and Courtesy for Tourists & Visitors
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Etiquette and Courtesy for Tourists & Visitors

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thought I'd start this because of a conversation with a friend. Their main complaint is when tourists and visitors come up to them and start asking nosy questions about how they dress, etc. They live near a tourist town. They have a farm so they wear overalls or other non-trendy clothing.

So two I want to share.
1. Don't go up to people and ask them about their clothing or their religion.
2. Don't park the RV in spaces in small towns. Parking is limited enough for many of those towns. Find out where you can park your rig without taking up 2 or more parking spots.

Are there any guidelines you would like to share about how to behave as a tourist or visitor?

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Respect goes a long way where ever you travel.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please don't mistake curiosity for nosiness. If they are asking these questions it's quite possible they are trying to learn, possibly so they don't commit a faux pas. A polite "I'd rather not answer" should do the trick. That said...

1. Follow the rules. Period. This includes in RV parks. If the rule is no dogs then don't take your dogs, etc.
2. Agree about the parking issue. Have been too many places where rigs are just taking up too much space.
3. Behave. Don't exhibit bad behavior under the guise of "I'm a tourist".
4. Look up the word "respect" in the dictionary and practice it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as you are polite about it...most people are happy to talk about themselves and their religion.

They aren't obligated to discuss but if they refuse to discuss, they don't get to complain when misconceptions abound.

This is particularly important in a tourist area. If they come across as standoffish or rude when polite questions are made, expect it to hurt the local tourist business.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really don't get the post? I guess if you are offended easily you shouldn't be living in that type of area to begin with. Like the person that buys a home next to the train tracks and complaines of the noisy train . If someone asks questions nicely, it shouldn't be a problem. If they dont ask nicely then the problem is with the attitude rather then the question itself. I do agree with the parking, i can always walk a bit to get to where i need to be. But some towns don't have rv parking. And you only choice is to take up 2 regular spots? What do you do then? Move on to the next town?

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

As long as you are polite about it...most people are happy to talk about themselves and their religion.

They aren't obligated to discuss but if they refuse to discuss, they don't get to complain when misconceptions abound.

This is particularly important in a tourist area. If they come across as standoffish or rude when polite questions are made, expect it to hurt the local tourist business.

And ask about where I live as well. I live one of the prettiest parts of the world. I am glad to talk about it. I may be able to help you find something. As for my cloths. It is what it is.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I didn't approach and engage in a conversation with the guy and his 2 girls in the horse drawn buggy I wouldn't have had a the great experience that occurred.
Learned a lot first hand about the Amish Culture and people.
even got invited to their farm which was a real blessing.

At CG right near Devils Tower, WY we came out one morning to find 6 Japanese girls sitting at our pic-nic table having their breakfast.
Instead of running them off we engaged with them. Found out they thought they were in a 'park' .....very apologetic about taking our space/table and were ready to pack up. We convinced them to stay, finish breakfast and enjoy their moment. Very interesting conversation.

Engaging with folks IS part of Life's Journey and can be beneficial to both.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good stories Old-Biscuit! [emoticon]

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

If I didn't approach and engage in a conversation with the guy and his 2 girls in the horse drawn buggy I wouldn't have had a the great experience that occurred.
Learned a lot first hand about the Amish Culture and people.
even got invited to their farm which was a real blessing.

At CG right near Devils Tower, WY we came out one morning to find 6 Japanese girls sitting at our pic-nic table having their breakfast.
Instead of running them off we engaged with them. Found out they thought they were in a 'park' .....very apologetic about taking our space/table and were ready to pack up. We convinced them to stay, finish breakfast and enjoy their moment. Very interesting conversation.

Engaging with folks IS part of Life's Journey and can be beneficial to both.

I think the Amish are most likely accustomed to that. This friend and his neighbors feel as though tourists are treating them as objects or characters put on display instead of hard-working residents. Cultures differ. The picnic table incident happens often. I pretty sure my friend isn't addressing that.
Crowe wrote:

Please don't mistake curiosity for nosiness. If they are asking these questions it's quite possible they are trying to learn, possibly so they don't commit a faux pas. A polite "I'd rather not answer" should do the trick. That said...

1. Follow the rules. Period. This includes in RV parks. If the rule is no dogs then don't take your dogs, etc.
2. Agree about the parking issue. Have been too many places where rigs are just taking up too much space.
3. Behave. Don't exhibit bad behavior under the guise of "I'm a tourist".
4. Look up the word "respect" in the dictionary and practice it.

Crowe, good list of pointers.

There are places in the US and Canada where curiosity IS viewed as nosiness or rudeness. Asking personal questions about someone's clothing is considered rude in a number of places. Bringing up someone else's religion isn't considered polite either, in my friend's area or in a number of places. Very personal questions (clothing, religion, politics) are not a good way to interact in a community and with a people who are new to you.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man.....
If I hadn't been the nosey 'tourist' during our 7 yrs FTng I would not have gotten the 'inside scoop' that only the 'locals' know

Even when I was overseas I was that nosey tourist asking all kinds of questions, seeking information, gaining advice/knowledge

Respect should be key.
Give it and get it back

But their are some folks that just don't want to engage...they should quietly disengage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Etiquette and Courtesy for Tourists & Visitors
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.