Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Etiquette and Courtesy for Tourists & Visitors
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Etiquette and Courtesy for Tourists & Visitors

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It never dawned on me to ever ask someone about the clothes you wear. I can't even imagine a conversation where that would come up, or why I would even care.

"Hey man.. why do y'all wear those overalls? Is it to keep the spaghetti sauce from staining your new t-shirts?" (kidding of course).

That's just weird...

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

FULLTIMEWANABE

De Winton, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deleted

* This post was edited 10/25/20 02:01pm by FULLTIMEWANABE *

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

It never dawned on me to ever ask someone about the clothes you wear. I can't even imagine a conversation where that would come up, or why I would even care.

"Hey man.. why do y'all wear those overalls? Is it to keep the spaghetti sauce from staining your new t-shirts?" (kidding of course).

That's just weird...

Mike

Monks in Thailand wearing orange robes.

Germans at Oktoberfest wearing Lederhosen.

Masai warriors in Kenya wearing a red sash.

Lots of reasons to inquire about clothing choices. Now just an average midwest joe wearing overalls...a little less logic.

Assuming the OP is referring to Amish and just trying to avoid actually saying it...there are specific clothing choices they make, so it's reasonable if put to them politely to ask. We camp a lot in an area with a lot of Amish and while they aren't particularly outgoing, particularly with the English, they are polite and don't seem to mind having a conversation.

Honestly, I suspect it's more about how the questions are asked as opposed to the actual questions.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honestly, I suspect it's more about how the questions are asked as opposed to the actual questions.

I think that's a big part of it. If you feel you are a part of the Spanish Inquisition you are much more likely to be a little hostile rather than if someone politely asks "why do you wear that?".

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I shared a campsite with a couple of young German women many years ago. We talked for hours around the campfire. The campground was full so I asked them to join me. They had many questions about what it was like to ride motorcycle all over the US. I had an equal number of questions about their experiences traveling around the US and life in Germany. It was a great evening.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

I agree - I'm absolutely a nosy tourist :-) I love to learn about people/cultures/areas - it's why I travel the way I do (by RV). I guess I try to be respectfully curious? Haven't had anyone tell me to buzz off, yet ;-)

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/20 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

and don't ever take a photo showing an Amish person's face because
`The Amish hold humility as a highly-cherished value and view pride as a threat to community harmony. Because items such as personal photographs can accentuate individuality and call attention to one's self, they are prohibited from the home. Moreover, the Amish believe that photographs in which they can be recognized violate the Biblical commandment, "Thou shalt not make unto thyself a graven image." They want to be remembered by the lives they lived and the examples they left, not by physical appearance.'

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My guidelines about how to behave as a tourist or visitor:

Talk to the locals! Ask where are the good places to eat.

Go places that are not tourist attractions - ask about local history.

Have fun!

Do no damage.

Spend your money - locals - well most locals, want you there to do the very things this latest RV.net etiquette lesson wants to tell you are taboo (based on the opinion of one person and no mention of exact places in the U.S. and Canada where this type of behavior is unwelcome).

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/20 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

one more thing about the Amish.
When I see all the TV ads to buy stuff I often think about the Amish who don't worry about whether they have the latest and greatest electronic gadget, cell phones, video games, largest and best TV, newest car, etc.
Having trouble limiting your childs electronic time? What if they didn't have ANY such devices. I know, in our world, that's far fetched but maybe.......

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

one more thing about the Amish.
When I see all the TV ads to buy stuff I often think about the Amish who don't worry about whether they have the latest and greatest electronic gadget, cell phones, video games, largest and best TV, newest car, etc.

Electronic stuff? No - they have little interest. But they still put on a show, in subtle ways. My sister lived among them in LaGrange, IN and would point out signs of her neighbors' "status" like a high-stepping carriage horse, or a fancy harness; she said the women cherished having high-dollar cookware....LOL! None of this was ever flaunted - but still was on display. And none ever turned down the offer of a ride in a car or truck when offered.

My sis always said they were the best neighbors ever!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Etiquette and Courtesy for Tourists & Visitors
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.