Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: MaxxAir II Vent Covers - Installation
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> MaxxAir II Vent Covers - Installation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've installed vent covers - and the directions always say to screw into the vent frame. I'm about to do that again :-)

But that being said - I just tore out a non-powered vent and replaced it with a Fantastic Fan. The good news/bad news: the Dicor used to install the original vent back in 1998, was STILL sticky/gooey (a true PITA to remove) and there was no sign of water intrusion anywhere. I have a LOT of faith in Dicor to keep things sealed up tight.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/20 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it wasn't for the fact that there will be holes in the roof screwing down into the roof makes a better installation IMHO.
I have installed two sets of covers using the recommended brackets into the opening wall and there can be issues: the screws into the wall can come loose from the vibration of the overhung load of the cover and the bolts/nuts can come loose for the same reason. Those nuts/bolts should be checked on occasion. I've had them loosen. and the overhung load isn't the greatest idea for an RV that bounces around like ours does.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's done is done. I don't like holes in roof if not needed. These were not needed, but they are there. With proper maintenance, they will NOT leak, just like all the other MUCH LARGER holes in the roof 12"x12" vents, plumbing vents, antennas, etc. that will NOT leak if properly maintained. Plus my rig is under a metal carport that I built especially for it....to protect t from the sun damage as it rarely rains in SoCal

2003 Ford F-350 XLT Super Duty, Crew Cab, V10 (6.8L); 4X2; Standard Bed; SRW; 4R100 trans
2009 Thor-MVP RV- Tahoe 284SA

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would also be worried that they may have sealed the base of the new cover to the roof. They need to be able to drain any water that finds it's way inside the cover. If they screwed the base of the cover down to the roof, they may have put a bead of dicor down first. THAT would be a problem.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 12:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Normally there are L shaped brackets screwed to the sides of the vent frame, and they stick out and the cover sits on and is screwed to them, the cover actually does not touch the roof and may sit off of it as much as a quarter inch. It they screwed it directly to the roof it was a half ass job and they threw away the parts kit and the instructions. Shop manager not paying attention to what is going on and people who don't know and don't care.

Charles

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 02:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maxx Air II fans can be mounted to the vent housing or the roof as the dealer did. Also a Maxx air OEM fan has built in eyes in the bottom flange of the fan housing that the cover simply clips to with the snap pins, although when used OEM like that the cover ends up sticking into the sealant as its too close to the roof surface.

It all depends on the vent housing, with some and most of the newere plastic ones the supplied brackets when attached to the vertical sides of the vent housing will not line up properly for the snap pins.

frisco_dave

Frisco, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/20 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ahh...deltabravo- used your video as my guide to do my MaxxFan install back in Jan. Very nicely done, and helped tremendously.

Not sure why I waited so long to do the replacement of the OEM fan. that think is a pos. MaxxFan is wonderful.

2011 KZ Coyote 232SS
2011 Expedition 3.73

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> MaxxAir II Vent Covers - Installation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.