Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Received new vehicle with nail implanted in tire-maybe.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Received new vehicle with nail implanted in tire-maybe.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
boston blacky

Gatineau Quebec Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First things first - thank you for your replies. I will double check to see if I can swap the repaired summer tire for the spare. Next, I 3will ask the dealer to cover half the cost or at least 1/3-as they (dealership) delivered the vehicle into my posession with 700 km. already on it. So, the nail could have been there at the time of delivery. Maybe!!
BB

BOSTON BLK

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

This guy that told you that a nail in a tire couldn't be fixed with a plug, is full of it, unless the hole is in the side wall as stated earlier.
He's trying to sell you a tire unnecessarily, he probably sidelines as an RV salesman.
No special effort to plug a nail hole, any 16 year old with a plug kit is capable of plugging a tire.
Also if you have a bolt rather than a nail, it may be another story.

Most tire shops will refuse to repair a tire when the hole is within a half inch or so of the edge of the tread.

You may be able to talk that 16 year old with a plug kit to do it, but if you want a safe (and long lasting) repair, industry standards say don't plug a hole in the tread shoulder area.

* This post was edited 10/21/20 06:32pm by an administrator/moderator *

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“You may be able to talk that 16 year old with a plug kit to do it,...”

Not wise. Not safe. IF you have a blowout, may it not harm you...or others.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

boston blacky wrote:

First things first - thank you for your replies. I will double check to see if I can swap the repaired summer tire for the spare. Next, I 3will ask the dealer to cover half the cost or at least 1/3-as they (dealership) delivered the vehicle into my posession with 700 km. already on it. So, the nail could have been there at the time of delivery. Maybe!!
BB

Don't expect the dealer to cover any of the cost. They undoubtedly do a pre-sale inspection; whether or not that would thoroughly cover the tire condition is another question, but I've no doubt they would assert they delivered to you a car with good tires all around, and you have absolutely no evidence to suggest otherwise. Personally, I'd feel a bit scummy even asking them to do so, since road damage is not a defect in materials or workmanship.

Tire problems happen on occasion; it's a simple fact of vehicle ownership and driving on the open road.

boston blacky

Gatineau Quebec Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not want to feel scummy. So, I will bit the bullet (nail) and pay the full price of a new replacement. No questions asked.
BB

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you think it can be plugged, go to Amazon and get yourself a plug kit. The plugs that come with most kits aren't that great, but you can buy Blackjack plugs on Amazon too.

Everyone should travel with a plug kit. The first one will be hard, but you'll get the hang of it.

I keep a plug kit in my truck, one in the fiver, and another one in our off-road car. The off-road car is the most fun. Everyone stands around and gawks while you deal with the plug, and they try to guess how many plugs it will take. The most I've ever seen in one puncture was six plugs. I'm glad it wasn't me. [emoticon]

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a decent plug kit on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y51VKMV/

Throw away the plugs that come with it and get the Blackjacks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P70RB0/

Get a jar of rubber cement too.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would take it to a different tire dealer for evaluation. I had a low tire on my truck a few years ago and the tire guy found a steel rod 1/4” diameter and about 8” long in the tire. He used a combo plug/patch. Inserted from inside the tire the patch covered the hole and the plug filled the hole. Lasted until the tire wore out. And it wore evenly along with the other 3 tires.

But if in or very near the sidewall then you are out of luck. Dealer not likely to help after you put that many kilometers on it.

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks you cheered up my day I'm not the only one just finished dinner and takeout Place didn't put my darn cup of white chowder in there now I don't feel so bad with your problems[emoticon]

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your purchase paperwork. Most new vehicles have tire warranties from dealer as part of their mark up “fees”.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Received new vehicle with nail implanted in tire-maybe.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.