Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Southern Utah boondocking: how long do roads take to dry?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Southern Utah boondocking: how long do roads take to dry?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are hoping to get to southern Utah sometime later this year -- lots of boondocking available all over the place!

Just one problem: the dirt roads get very slick in wet weather -- the soil contains lots of bentonite, which is a clay that is so slippery that it is used as an industrial lubricant!

There are many warnings on the BLM and national forest websites that tell us to avoid certain roads in wet weather. Fair enough -- I've been warned.

But in general, how long do the roads stay wet after a rain? A day? A week? How does one know when it is safe to venture out into the back country?

Thanks in advance for your advice, especially if you have real-world experience with this issue!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ride our RZR in Utah and enjoy the wet roads. It seems the dirt roads can take longer than a week to dry, assuming it doesn't rain again.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn’t this depend on sun exposure, drainage, grade, tilt, crown etc.? Chugging along just great and whammy...sliding like crazy as you round the hill? I love Utah!

* This post was edited 10/21/20 06:00pm by Lwiddis *

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bentonite is used as a drilling mud when drilling oil or gas wells. I worked my way thru college by working in the oil patch during the summers. While tying in a gas line to a newly completed well (gas lift well) we experienced a fire. Naturally we all ran in different directions. One of my coworkers got about 3 good strides into an old pit containing bentonite and cuttings from an old well. That pit was 5 or 6 years old. It had a 3 or 4 inch crust on top but under that the bentonite was just like the day it was put there. He sank in above his hips. That stuff is slick.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look at Yoo Toob channel Matt's Off Road Recovery for some sweet sw Utah mud action.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course it all depends, living in AZ and NM it is apparent the Southwest is very dry. It can rain anywhere in the four corner states and an hour later you wouldn't even know it. Sure we do get a torrent of rainfall from time to time, with our 4wd truck it has never lead to being stuck.

Since rain is scarce in most of Cali, I would think off road boondocking is quite similar when rain is in the forecast. We have a week of RVing planned for Utah in November, other than cooler temps we have not thought about getting enough rain to worry about traversing the off roads.

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 04:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 on Matt's Offroad Recovery. Two things I'd do:

1. put Matt's number in your phone "just in case"

2. call Matt and ask the question....he knows the area very well and can help answer that question for you

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 with Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire holder, Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

Bentonite is used as a drilling mud when drilling oil or gas wells. I worked my way thru college by working in the oil patch during the summers. While tying in a gas line to a newly completed well (gas lift well) we experienced a fire. Naturally we all ran in different directions. One of my coworkers got about 3 good strides into an old pit containing bentonite and cuttings from an old well. That pit was 5 or 6 years old. It had a 3 or 4 inch crust on top but under that the bentonite was just like the day it was put there. He sank in above his hips. That stuff is slick.

Probably not a comparable situation.

That pit was likely filled with wet mud at least 2-3ft deep. Once the top dried, it created a crust to seal in the moisture.

If you get a 10 min shower with 1/4 inch of rain, it's unlikely to penetrate more than an inch.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good question. I have worked around bentonite in Wyo and SD. Sometimes you can get stuck on a flat road with chains on all 4 wheels.

Sometimes you have no choice but to wait for the weather to dry out. It depends on the temp, usually low humidity and the wind. If a shower is brief, the sun and some wind can dry out the surface in a couple of hours, even 45 minutes. Sometimes you can travel in the early morning when it is frozen.

SteveAE

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

But in general, how long do the roads stay wet after a rain? A day? A week? How does one know when it is safe to venture out into the back country?

From what I have seen. After a gully washer, fairly fast once the sun comes out. Maybe a couple days?????? BUT, during those couple days, it can be really messy. Just a little rain though isn't an issue. Perhaps inquire with the local land manager if uncertain.

Have fun.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Southern Utah boondocking: how long do roads take to dry?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.