cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

next after Upper Stableloads? Jittery ride on rough pavement

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
next after Upper Stableloads? Jittery ride on rough pavement.

Hi all - we have a 2020 F350 SRW gasser crew cab, 8’ bed…. and a 2020 Hallmark 9.5’.

We and fully loaded the whole rig weights 11,300 lbs

On smooth pavement the ride is very, very good. We have the Upper Stableloads
and the highest Ford leaf springs are very slightly engaged always.
(and we do NOT want to get Lower Stableloads under any circumstance)

However on mediocre paved roads the ride is pretty “jittery” for lack of a better word.

If I was to do something to try to smooth out the jitters when on rough paving (hopefully without making the very good ride on smooth pavement any worse!) … what would the next step be?

Thanks.
37 REPLIES 37

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I thought the last post was the OP.

My bad.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
LosAngeles wrote:
bighatnohorse wrote:
I would evaluate the shocks. It sounds as if the shocks are really stiff. Adjustable shocks might give you a less vibration ride on rough roads.
The problem is that too soft a shock system will feel spongy and soft on other types of road surfaces.
Good luck in your endeavor.

Thanks. 🙂

Due to reasons I wont bother to explain here.... I am unable to swap the shocks at this point. We talkin like top secret witness protection stuff here, or just some boring reason? Lol

This is why the StableLoads (front) have real appeal - they are bolt on, and super easy to remove, if need be.

The truck camper review by Mellow Mike raved about the improvement of the blue StableLoads in the front. He was against them, but the front end improvements were substantial. Smoothed things out. Makes sense.

I may go this way. About $200 + super easy installation.

LA, I don't understand, I'll assume you meant Sumos, not Stablloads. 2 totally different things and no such thing as a front stable load.
However I'm still perplexed. And not just how you could add sumos, but not swap shocks, but how you think that adding something that makes the front suspension sitffer and not bottom out has any bearing on how the shocks handle, especially since your response to bighat was in concurrence with wanting a more compliant ride.
Good luck with your science experiment...

And for the record, your truck is already built to handle that weight easily
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
It’s a cab and chassis model F-350 with an aluminum flatbed.

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
I would evaluate the shocks. It sounds as if the shocks are really stiff. Adjustable shocks might give you a less vibration ride on rough roads.
The problem is that too soft a shock system will feel spongy and soft on other types of road surfaces.

Thanks. 🙂

Due to reasons I wont bother to explain here.... I am unable to swap the shocks at this point.

This is why the StableLoads (front) have real appeal - they are bolt on, and super easy to remove, if need be.

The truck camper review by Mellow Mike raved about the improvement of the blue StableLoads in the front. He was against them, but the front end improvements were substantial. Smoothed things out. Makes sense.

I may go this way. About $200 + super easy installation.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
billtex wrote:
noteven wrote:
Also my Ford is a bit floppier in the frame department than my Dodge there seems to be a lot more “vibration and harshness” through to the cab on certain roads.

A little more info (sig line) would be helpful. Is this an F150?

I’m not sure that would help. No Ford is supposed to be floppy. 😄

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
noteven wrote:
Also my Ford is a bit floppier in the frame department than my Dodge there seems to be a lot more “vibration and harshness” through to the cab on certain roads.

A little more info (sig line) would be helpful. Is this an F150?
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2008? F350 Diesel, SRW, 4x4, crewcab, Lariat. I pulled a Cougar XLite 28SGS, no issues. Traded to a Montana HC. Discovered I was at payload up against Gvw, etc. The F350 only had a payload of 3267#. (That number is burned in my memory). I discovered Ford makes, made, several variations of the 350 with different ratings. I visited a Ram dealer and looked at the same equipped Ram with a 4016# payload. I'm on my second Ram 3500.
Maybe post all your numbers off the Ford yellow sticker and your weigh tickets, empty, and ready to travel with the camper.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
noteven wrote:

Seems like you need shocks or something is loose.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Truck campers can impart a certain fore and aft motion to the vehicle.

Have a look at Truck CamperMagazine video archives. They recorded before and after footage after installing “Lance type” gas struts on a camper overhead.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
With your curb weight at a stated 7000lbs giver take a hundred, 4300 lbs total payload on the truck is plenty to keep it planted. Plenty.
Considering you claim to have some weight transferred to the front axle, it should feel very planted.
Considering you’re planning on front Sumos you must feel the front is loaded heavy (sagging, squishy) which I doubt. But front sumos, if it’s sagging enough to engage them, will make the front stiffer.

Or in other words, the condition I think you’re describing is not commensurate with the solution you’re proposing.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
billtex wrote:
LosAngeles wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
Hallmark Cuchara 9.5 ft is 1893# dry weight. There's almost nothing over the truck cab but the frame, some canvas, and the mattress.
I'm seriously missing something in this conversation.

I don’t feel like justifying my quest for better handling

But we have a TON of solar on the front of the roof

Plus a bunch of stuff in the under bed storage

So yes, you are missing some details.

But as I said - I don’t want to justify my desire for a less jittery ride when on rough pavement. You don’t need all the details on my rig.

I just want to learn of possible fixes.

And total wet weight of rig is 11,300 lbs.

I recall it was fairly closely split between front and rear axle. And it rides dead level.

Didn’t you come here asking for advice?

Good luck...

You must have not participated in the saga of choosing this truck and camper....
If you had, this thread and his responses would be expected.

LA, so what are the weights? That would help.
And a better description than Webster’s definition of “jittery” may help, although I’m fairly convinced advice from others will not, until you find an opinion that happens to match your pre-conceived, yet likely ill-advised notion.
As another member said, I perceive jittery akin to a rough ride, like an unladen truck with stiff springs and too much tire pressure. Like getting a little sideways while accelerating over washboards.
And your perception of how it “should” ride has no basis for comparison as I recall from your past threads.
Good luck!

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
LosAngeles wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
Hallmark Cuchara 9.5 ft is 1893# dry weight. There's almost nothing over the truck cab but the frame, some canvas, and the mattress.
I'm seriously missing something in this conversation.

I don’t feel like justifying my quest for better handling

But we have a TON of solar on the front of the roof

Plus a bunch of stuff in the under bed storage

So yes, you are missing some details.

But as I said - I don’t want to justify my desire for a less jittery ride when on rough pavement. You don’t need all the details on my rig.

I just want to learn of possible fixes.

And total wet weight of rig is 11,300 lbs.

I recall it was fairly closely split between front and rear axle. And it rides dead level.

Didn’t you come here asking for advice?

Good luck...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson