Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: next after Upper Stableloads? Jittery ride on rough pavement
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> next after Upper Stableloads? Jittery ride on rough pavement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/20 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

Hmmm.I usually relate jittery to unladen ride on rough pavement. As mentioned, there are certain road surfaces that just suck.

Not sure why you are opposed to lower SL’s. I am running upper and lower SL’s on the new truck and am VERY pleased. Nice firm ride when loaded and 100% stock ride unladen. Couldn’t be happier.

Have you been to the scales? Maybe you need to get some weight forward?
Where’s your water tank? Try a full tank. Sometimes that helps. A front hitch with some junk on it can help also.

Safe travels, bill

Yes been to scales... IIRC weight is very well distributed.

Water tank is not huge.... makes no difference how ful or empty it is.

Someone very knowledgeable suggested and recommended Sumo Springs.. I am thinking that SumoSprings on the *front* would help smooth out pavement bumps. Makes sense to me.

thanks. :-)

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/20 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

How much does the Hallmark weigh?
I'm thinking you shouldn't need to do anything to a stock F350.
Dis-engage the Stableloads and see how it rides. You may be bouncing off and on the springs. Get the springs loaded and let them do their job.

I'm confident I'm not bouncing on and off the rear springs.

Total weight, loaded, wet, is 11,300. Have not done the math to calculate the Hallmark wet and dry.

Someone very knowledgeable suggested and recommended Sumo Springs.. I am thinking that SumoSprings on the *front* would help smooth out pavement bumps. Makes sense to me.

thanks

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two suggestions one is free one is not. Assuming you are running 65 front and 80 rear, try 70 then 75 in the front. The nonfree fix I suggest is a shock change.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you look at your upper overload spring, it is progressive. One side of the spring will contact the bumper pad before the other. As a test, remove the StableLoads on the side where the spring touches them first and put your stock pads back in place. This will reduce the preload on the upper spring and make the ride more compliant. The ride will be softer, but you need to make sure the truck still sits level with only half of the preload applied.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/20 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're talking a Hallmark pop-up? I can't imagine a pop up weighing enough for a F350 to even know it was loaded.
My brother put a new Northstar pop up on new 2020 F350 SRW and it rode like a Cadillac with no mods.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My F-350 is a few 100 lbs below GVWR with the camper etc loaded.

When the ride becomes “jittery” it is usually due to operating a won ton twuck on what we in Alberta call “a shitty road” .

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/20 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update: the author of this review is Mellow Mike and he seems to really know Truck Campers.

He was skeptical about front SumoSprings but read the review

And how our rig feels I think it is worth the $200 to buy them on the front. . Really easy no drill install

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/sumospring-installation-report-and-review/

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/20 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update: the author of this review is Mellow Mike and he seems to really know Truck Campers.

He was skeptical about front SumoSprings but read the review

And how our rig feels I think it is worth the $200 to buy them on the front. . Really easy no drill install

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/sumospring-installation-report-and-review/

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I have researched, Ford Has highest rated front springs available but also the most variations in spring rates. I am not convinced you need additional spring capacity on the front since most campers add little weight to the front of the truck and most unload the front axle a little. I feel you get the most out the front end by changing to an adjustable damped shock and adding a larger stabilizer bar. What you can do for free or very little cost is weigh your truck axles at a truck stop and adjust your tire pressure based on the load inflation tables for your size tire.

Although there is plenty of good advice, it does come down how your setup feels for you and none our advice should be taken as absolutes. It took me about five adjustments to make my previous truck comfortable and safe while my current truck only needed one.

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/20 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

From what I have researched, Ford Has highest rated front springs available but also the most variations in spring rates. I am not convinced you need additional spring capacity on the front since most campers add little weight to the front of the truck and most unload the front axle a little.

I feel you get the most out the front end by changing to an adjustable damped shock and adding a larger stabilizer bar. What you can do for free or very little cost is weigh your truck axles at a truck stop and adjust your tire pressure based on the load inflation tables for your size tire.

Although there is plenty of good advice, it does come down how your setup feels for you and none our advice should be taken as absolutes. It took me about five adjustments to make my previous truck comfortable and safe while my current truck only needed one.

Good thoughts... thanks! :-)

.... but...

my front is *not* unloaded a little, and I have to find the scale weight paper printout I did... but the (wet) camper IS adding quite a bit of weight to the front axle. Cant remember the exact #'s but it was remarkably even, as far as I can recall.

A better shock would help, but a $200 SumoSprings for the front is easy,

and.... did you read the Mellow Mike article? Just curious. Link is above.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> next after Upper Stableloads? Jittery ride on rough pavement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.