Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Tail light issues
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Tail light issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pinching the socket down a bit is a free and easy approach. I’d try that first. If no worky, replace socket or tail light assembly?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/20 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is the same tail light used on my 2007 Winnebago View. It was made in India. The socket is plastic and chrome plated to be a reflector. I had lots of troubles with the contacts. The bulbs are 1157 bulbs and yes, polishing the contacts carefully, bending the ground contact strip on the side of the hole where the bulb fits (socket is hard brittle plastic, remember) and adding solder to the bulb contacts helps. There is no replacing the socket, as it is the entire light assembly (sans the lens) and it is no longer made.

Good luck

Charles

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 02:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might be time to go to a body shop and them fabricate a fiberglass cover for the OEM taillight. It can be made to blend the fabrication into the body contour of the motorhome. They can add a new LED light to that fabrication.

Ramblin' Rosie

Cartersville, GA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

Might be time to go to a body shop and them fabricate a fiberglass cover for the OEM taillight. It can be made to blend the fabrication into the body contour of the motorhome. They can add a new LED light to that fabrication.

This is not a bad idea, as long as the cost is reasonable.

CharlesinGA wrote:

That is the same tail light used on my 2007 Winnebago View. It was made in India. The socket is plastic and chrome plated to be a reflector. I had lots of troubles with the contacts. The bulbs are 1157 bulbs and yes, polishing the contacts carefully, bending the ground contact strip on the side of the hole where the bulb fits (socket is hard brittle plastic, remember) and adding solder to the bulb contacts helps. There is no replacing the socket, as it is the entire light assembly (sans the lens) and it is no longer made.

Good luck

Charles

Sounds like I have the same fixture. The housing is flimsy silver plastic, and the contacts in the light housing itself cannot be replaced, without replacing the entire unit. They are Rinder units, Model# 952-959. They have been discontinued, and are very difficult to find.

Cartersville, Georgia
2007 Winnebago Outlook 31C Class C
(Chevy 6.0L 6000 Vortec Chassis)

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had the same problem on a car a few months ago. It had a loose fitting socket. I pushed a couple of flat toothpicks in between the socket and bulb. It's a McGyver fix, but it's been working fine for 3 months now.

hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 12:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was not able to view your taillight pic. I searched for your model rv and see that your light is a square. That is an easy DIY fabrication.
I fabricated two different rear lights on my own by using a new light inside the OEM light. I drilled a new hole next to the old socket and ran the wires to it.

The second time, because it was a squared lens and easy to fabricate, I used a white plastic dollar store cutting board in place of the red lens. You might be able to screw it in place or as I did , glued it in place after installing an LED light onto the cutting board. If you shop for a large light the fabrication won't look too bad. It will look like white trim surrounding the new LED and blend into the rear of the rv. Just use a matching sealant on the seams to make it blend.

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If bulb fits loosely in plated plastic socket, try wrapping sides of bulb with aluminum foil, gluing foil to sides of bulb, to make better contact. Adding some solder to bulb contacts on bottom and filing smooth may help contacts there.

Your plight reminded me of problems I had with an old orphan Higgins Delta Class C.I had to patch broken obsolete plastic tail light lens with a red plastic repair kit. Surprised that Winnebago used poor design/quality tail light parts and cannot supply replacements for a 2007 rig.

Cobra21

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have the socket with the 2 metal strips that contact the bulb they are terrible from day 1. You can replace that socket with the older style that actually has the springs with decent bulb contacts. I did that with mine several years ago which gave my tail lights a permanent fix. These sockets will replace the old style and fit into your original fixture. LED bulbs won't help a bad socket make contact.
Brian

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Tail light issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.