Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Portable Satellite Cable Storage..ideas??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

 > Portable Satellite Cable Storage..ideas??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
DD716TED

Washington State

Senior Member

Joined: 10/27/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/22/20 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For several years now I have been using the Winegard Carryout antenna for Directv... I have attached 2 (50 ft) RG-6 cables along with the power cord to it.. I the past I have just coiled up the wires in about a 3 ft circle when storing them and antenna but am looking for a better / easier / smaller way to do it.. Question.. Will wrapping RG-6 around a extension cord reel (approx 8 inch circle) damage the RG-6? Just looking for a smaller and more neat way to store the wires as hooking and unhooking them from the antenna everytime is a PIA..

Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/22/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you mean something like this?

Note that the package is just under 9" diameter in the specifications.





Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

Senior Member

Joined: 12/25/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/22/20 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go into most any store that sells coax you will find that they are bundled in about the size you are wanting to use. No problem!


What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/22/20 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“...but am looking for a better / easier / smaller way to do it.”

If you rolled the cable at or above the diameter in which it was sold, seems to me that would be acceptable.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)


chindog

Florida

Full Member

Joined: 01/18/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/22/20 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used this one for years for my dish cable. No problems at all.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-150-ft-1........on-Cord-Storage-Reel-HD-130PDQ/205038360

[image]


2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 09/28/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/22/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

If you go into most any store that sells coax you will find that they are bundled in about the size you are wanting to use. No problem!


Sure that's right but I would believe once the cable is sold to someone for installation it's installed permanently and not rolled up after every weekend. Kinks and bends should be avoided, that's what learned from an electronics acquaintance.

AllegroD

Outdare

Senior Member

Joined: 05/13/2003

View Profile



Posted: 10/22/20 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DD716TED wrote:

For several years now I have been using the Winegard Carryout antenna for Directv... I have attached 2 (50 ft) RG-6 cables along with the power cord to it.. I the past I have just coiled up the wires in about a 3 ft circle when storing them and antenna but am looking for a better / easier / smaller way to do it.. Question.. Will wrapping RG-6 around a extension cord reel (approx 8 inch circle) damage the RG-6? Just looking for a smaller and more neat way to store the wires as hooking and unhooking them from the antenna everytime is a PIA..

No. It will not damage the cable. You will be OK, as long as you do not kink (bend) and unkink the cable.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/23/20 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without doing research I think the RECOMMENDED minimum circle for Coax is 12 inches.. However I do not think 8" will damage it for that's close to how its coiled in the stores.

So Google is your friend
"The minimum bending radius is 5 times the diameter of the cable"

That's what I get for trusting memory.. 8" will be just fine.


Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377


Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

Senior Member

Joined: 12/25/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/23/20 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherman wrote:

Bill.Satellite wrote:

If you go into most any store that sells coax you will find that they are bundled in about the size you are wanting to use. No problem!


Sure that's right but I would believe once the cable is sold to someone for installation it's installed permanently and not rolled up after every weekend. Kinks and bends should be avoided, that's what learned from an electronics acquaintance.


Rolling up the coax is very different than kinking or bending. Rolling up the coax will not cause any issues.

goducks10

There

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/23/20 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I roll mine up in a 12-14" circle ending with the last 4-5' routed in and out of the circle to keep the coax from uncoiling. I have 2 small hooks screwed to the wall inside my TT storage area. I slide the top part of the coiled coax over the top hook then stretch it a little to hook on the bottom hook. It's flat against the wall and stays put taking up hardly any space.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

 > Portable Satellite Cable Storage..ideas??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.