Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Tire Pressure
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tire Pressure

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/20 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's the consensus on Max tire pressure when towing 10K. Generally I run max tire pressure as rated on the tire for both the trailer and tow vehicle, with the exception of the front tires on the tow vehicle I run about 5 lbs under max tire rated pressure because I think the front runs a little light when towing.

2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/20 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pressure that gives the tire its max weight capacity.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/20 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weight the axles and set the pressure according to the tire mfg load inflation tables.

I've often weighted at the free OR scales.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/20 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow 19,000 pounds and don't run max air pressure, never have. Air pressure is a function of weight being carried. If I'm not carrying max weight then why run max pressure?

My trailer tires have best wear pattern at 70 PSI. My truck sticker says 70 up front and 65 in the rear duallies. It's what works for me.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/20 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have always ran the max psi on my trailers whether a fiver or tag. I have never had a problem with doing that. As far as weighing each side or each tire some do some don't. I fall into the latter group. Tires run cooler at or near max psi. Just my opinion.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/20 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you run more pressure than the load calls for it can wear the tires out in the center faster than the edges. I had that problem on my 2500 Suburban. The tires are rated for 80 psi. The door placard calls for the rear tires to be 71 psi. I was running them at 65 psi because I know I'm not near max axle weight. The rear tires were wearing out in the center so I lowered it to 55psi.
According to the load inflation table that's all I need to carry the weight I've got on the rear tires so that makes it the proper pressure. Running 80 psi would be an incredibly harsh ride and wear the tires out worse.
You need to weight your axles, consult the chart, and inflate accordingly. Any other method is a guess and likely wrong.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/20 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will probably depend on the tire size, the rating, and actual load on the tire.

Running max pressure unnecessarily can result in a very rough ride.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

superbyrd53

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/20 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spoke with a Bridgestone engineer a few years ago about tire pressure. Engineer said to run tires at max (cold) air. He advised running max air will eliminate possible blowouts. Just do not go over weight rating for tires. I also asked, if I run max air, will the tires blow with they heat up while driving. Engineer said tire will not blow. The tires are built to handle the max (cold) air.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 12:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Thats half right and half wrong.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run load and inflation table pressure. Sometimes that is “max psi” depending on the load.

If you change tire load index or size from what is on the sticker the sticker no longer applies.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tire Pressure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.