cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Canyon north Rim

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to spend a couple nights at/near the Grand Canyon North Rim in early May. North Rim Campground doesn't usually open until May 15th. So we are looking at alternatives. Not even sure it's possible that time of year due to the possibility of snow. We have a 34 foot 5th wheel and a 2018 GMC 3500 Crew Cab DRW 4X4. Any thoughts on ANY place to camp that's open that time of year near the North rim area and I can get my 5th wheel in to?
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68
7 REPLIES 7

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
This is a shot of our coach on May 18, 2011 at the Demotte NFS campground about 7 miles north of the North Rim park entrance. The park was open and not very crowded.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
4aSong wrote:
Do a search for Kaibab Camper Village near Jacobs Lake. We have stayed there some time ago and they had sites for large RV's and also it was the only full hookup campground in the area that I'm aware of.
Also if you prefer dispersed camping there are numerous NF roads from Jacobs Lake to the Grand Canyon.

We stayed there last time we went to the park, I think there may be a new cg right outside Jacob's Lake. I think we saw one when we drove thru there in 2019. The other one was OK, but a swamp when we stayed and it is a very long drive to the park entry station. That's true for any cg in that area tho.

OK that is a USFS CG not commercial.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
Do a search for Kaibab Camper Village near Jacobs Lake. We have stayed there some time ago and they had sites for large RV's and also it was the only full hookup campground in the area that I'm aware of.
Also if you prefer dispersed camping there are numerous NF roads from Jacobs Lake to the Grand Canyon.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
May is 4x4 time at and near the North Rim in May...if itโ€™s open.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The road into the park goes thru the NF and there are many dispersed camping spots in there. But snow could be a big issues, depends on how the winter goes.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
The road (state Route 87?) From Jacob Lake to the North rim a drive of about 20 miles is normally closed until the North rim opens. Thus, until the North rim opens you cannot get within 20 miles of the rim.

There are some outstanding boom docking places by the national forest service once the road opens.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
No guarantees re access to area as it all depends on the weather at that time. It it isn't covered with snow it could be very muddy!