cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hulu, or something similar?

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are full time in motorhome. We use our Verizon phones ad hot spots. Is it possible to use Hulu when that is our only internet connection? We have Dish now but are very disappointed with the movies offered lately.
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
40 REPLIES 40

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I use an old Iphone 6s on Visible and it works perfect for me.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

MrWizard
Vzw and others, offer unlimited data (intended for use by your cellphone apps and whatever streaming service they are aligned with and giving you on the phone)
Recently metro PCS it was free music streaming on Pandora and other music apps, no limit no counting the data, with a previous plan offer, it was free cbs tv programming live steam, whatever was on CBS in your time zone, was available to watch on the phone
The unlimited data for phone is 'intended' to be for single user on the phone web browsing, email, on the phone video music etc,
And they do monitor what app is using the data,
So mobile hotspot Wi-Fi on the phone has a limit to control data use by multiple devices aka pc's and tablets, the newer the cellphone, the newer the version of Android, the more difficult to access phone app unlimited data allotment via phones Wi-Fi hotspot, for many people it means one laptop or pc tethered via USB cable to the phone and a third party app on the phone, to utilize that connection
No hotspot Wi-Fi for the unlimited streaming of HD movies/tv to multiple devices
I have one of the "OLD" Verizon unlimited data plans
With no hotspot Wi-Fi allowed, having mobile hotspot was an extra paid option when I obtained this plan when first offered years ago, in recent years they raised the price and added throttling under high usage periods,
I keep it active mainly as a fall back,
Since I have one of the AT&T unlimited data Mobley WiFi Hotspot plans, intended for moving vehicle use,

Recently and maybe still being offered is Visible phone plan $40 per month, unlimited everything, calls, text, phone data and mobile hotspot,
No stores, order online only, and you might have to buy a new phone, they are restrictive on which phone can be 'bring your own' they won't accept my Samsung S5, but will accept a Samsung S9 or several recent iPhone models

IMO the best any of us can do, is get one of these essential cheap unlimited data plans, when they come around, then make the monthly payments on time every month just like insurance, even if stuck at home, the trouble caused by stopping or canceling, just trying to save a few months payments on non use low use period, is not worth the frustration involved in looking for another low cost high use plan, that might not be available, when the needed time arrives
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Do you have an unlimited data plan? On Verizon?
No. Yes.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Does anyone know why they cap hotspots, but not the phone? I'm only guessing, but that would imply that hotspots take more data.
Hotspots can handle data from multiple devices via Wi-fi, a phone is just one device that can use data. So yes, a hotspot can use way more data.

Multiple devices can access the wifi from the built-in hotspot on your phone, too.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
Verizon treats all PHONE data the same. If you are using the built-in hotspot on your phone, it's just part of your data plan.
That's not how it's been described to me. The phone's hotspot data is treated differently.

Do you have an unlimited data plan? On Verizon?
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Verizon treats all PHONE data the same. If you are using the built-in hotspot on your phone, it's just part of your data plan.
That's not how it's been described to me. The phone's hotspot data is treated differently.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Does anyone know why they cap hotspots, but not the phone? I'm only guessing, but that would imply that hotspots take more data.
Hotspots can handle data from multiple devices via Wi-fi, a phone is just one device that can use data. So yes, a hotspot can use way more data.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
Verizon does not differentiate between phone data use and hotspot data use.
Unless I'm reading the plans wrong, they do. You can get 'unlimited' data but no hotspot. If you want hotspot they will allot you so many gigs, then throttle you.

This is true. After the hotspot allotment, it does throttle but as long as you are using standard def, it still works OK.

Sorry... I misworded that statement.

Verizon treats all PHONE data the same. If you are using the built-in hotspot on your phone, it's just part of your data plan. You will get throttled for any data use over 22 GB IF usage is very heavy in your area. I've only had that happen once, near a college campus.

If you have a separate hotspot device, that has its own data.

This isn't entirely correct either.

My plan is for 15gb personal hotspot, after that its slowed to 600kbps or something like that. But my data plan is for unlimited which Verizon says CAN be throttled after 22gb in times of congestion. Ive never been throttled, but I live in rural area.

The newest plans that just were released in the last month or so have different limits depending on how much you pay, but are similar in how they are structured.

BTW some of the cheapest plans dont even have personal hotspot.

Or you could avoid this whole mess and play the shows and TV channels off you phone through the cables I talked about in my previous post. If you are not in a heavy use area, you dont get throttled. You can watch 300gb of movies a month and not have to worry about being throttled. And its in HD.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
Unless I'm reading the plans wrong, they do. You can get 'unlimited' data but no hotspot. If you want hotspot they will allot you so many gigs, then throttle you.

This is true. After the hotspot allotment, it does throttle but as long as you are using standard def, it still works OK.

Sorry... I misworded that statement.

Verizon treats all PHONE data the same. If you are using the built-in hotspot on your phone, it's just part of your data plan. You will get throttled for any data use over 22 GB IF usage is very heavy in your area. I've only had that happen once, near a college campus.

If you have a separate hotspot device, that has its own data.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:

OK I misworded that.

Verizon treats all PHONE data the same. I was referring to the built-in hotspot on the phone, not a separate device.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
Look at Verizon Visible for $40. month. Unlimited 4G data and hotspot. No set data throttling.

Caveat, it works with a limited number of smartphones.

Mobile hotspot capped at 5mbps PLUS it says it may be slower than other traffic....

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
srt20 wrote:
2.Buy a lightening to hdmi adapter..
Lightning?

The plug for an iPhone.
If you have an android then you buy a mini usb to hdmi adapter.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
Look at Verizon Visible for $40. month. Unlimited 4G data and hotspot. No set data throttling.Caveat, it works with a limited number of smartphones.
That's the catch for me. I can't bring my phone, and they make you buy another one.