Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Hulu, or something similar?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Hulu, or something similar?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
DC&MC

formerly of Keizer Oregon USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are full time in motorhome. We use our Verizon phones ad hot spots. Is it possible to use Hulu when that is our only internet connection? We have Dish now but are very disappointed with the movies offered lately.

2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2011 Ram PU
2012 Victory Cross Country mtc
From wherever we happen to be

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Streaming is possible anywhere you have a good Internet connection, preferable 10 Mbps or better for HD or 4K. A solid 5 Mbps will usually work as well, but may limit what other online activities you can do at the same time. Be aware though, there are almost no new movies being released right now due to Covid-19. Hulu carries many of the same channels that Dish does, although you can pay extra for HBO, etc. that should give you a little different movie selection.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, but the data costs could eat you alive, and I'm not familiar enough with "unlimited" to know if that's a solution

You will need a pretty strong signal to make that work.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll need a truly unlimited data plan in order to stream without breaking the bank. But there are plans out there reasonable enough. We have a firestick and sling among a few other apps like Amazon prime. We have a hotspot with ATT and usually don't have any issues.

But as Dutch said, since Covid there are no new movies - at least decent ones. A few here and there but production companies closed down and so did theaters, so not much was being produced or released.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

richardtc17

Carmel, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need about 2.5 to 7.5 Mbps (megabits per second) to stream HD videos on your mobile device. This means you'll use approximately 1.5 to 3 GB per hour to stream HD video on Netflix. If you opt for standard definition (SD), your consumption will be about 1 GB of data per hour, at about 2 to 3 Mbps.

With the Verizon Plan Unlimited, you get a 15 GB/month allowance of 4G LTE / 5G Nationwide1 data for Mobile Hotspot and Jetpacks each billing cycle. Once you've used the 15 GB of data, your Mobile Hotspot data speed will be reduced to up to 600 Kbps for the rest of the billing cycle.

We always stream in SD. Amazon Prime video has a nice selection of movies, as well as Netflix. Amazon Prime is an annual membership and Netflix is monthly, but shared with our daughter's families.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

richardtc17 wrote:

With the Verizon Plan Unlimited, you get a 15 GB/month allowance of 4G LTE / 5G Nationwide1 data for Mobile Hotspot and Jetpacks each billing cycle. Once you've used the 15 GB of data, your Mobile Hotspot data speed will be reduced to up to 600 Kbps for the rest of the billing cycle.
15 gig isn't much.

Land Yachters

Philadelphia

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have used Hulu for the past couple of years at home. We are now just starting to go full time and are going to cancel Hulu because you can stream the content to a phone or tablet, or PC, but Hulu won't let us "cast" the content to our TVs in the coach when we are away from our "home" area. We want to watch TV on a TV most of the time. Also, Hulu is really poor at keeping up with streaming. Picture freezes all the time. This is with a very high internet connection in our house and is a known issue with the service. Just google Hulu quality. Still trying to decide what we will do for TV content. Our coach has Direct TV satellite antenna, but we haven't tried it yet.

Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Land Yachters wrote:

our coach has Direct TV satellite antenna, but we haven't tried it yet.
I'd stick with that. Data costs are not coming down to any reasonable level for my tastes, so I'm keeping my DTV as long as they are in business.

And you can get DTV in a lot more places than you can phone service, and Rv park wifi generally sucks.

DC&MC

formerly of Keizer Oregon USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok. So I have icons on our dish menu for Netflix and amazon prime video. How do I connect the dish receiver to my iPhone hotspot? I went in settings and it found the iPhone, entered password but it keeps coming back saying not connected! What else do I need to do?

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DC&MC wrote:

Ok. So I have icons on our dish menu for Netflix and amazon prime video. How do I connect the dish receiver to my iPhone hotspot?
Do you have a smart tv?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Hulu, or something similar?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.