Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Hulu, or something similar?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Hulu, or something similar?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Beaker

Brevard, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

. Also, Hulu is really poor at keeping up with streaming. Picture freezes all the time. This is with a very high internet connection in our house and is a known issue with the service. Just google Hulu quality.

My internet is only 6mps and never have that problem.

To the OP: I would not take back DTV even if it was free.
However, in your situation I think DirecTV is what I would do.

2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

DC&MC

formerly of Keizer Oregon USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a smart tv. But it’s not that old so I really don’t want to replace it. Why can’t I use the Dish/iPhone together?

2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2011 Ram PU
2012 Victory Cross Country mtc
From wherever we happen to be

2oldman

Mecca

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DC&MC wrote:

Why can’t I use the Dish/iPhone together?
Beats me. Maybe youtube or dish can help.

Smart tvs are pretty inexpensive and have their own wifi and apps.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/20 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DC&MC wrote:

Ok. So I have icons on our dish menu for Netflix and amazon prime video. How do I connect the dish receiver to my iPhone hotspot? I went in settings and it found the iPhone, entered password but it keeps coming back saying not connected! What else do I need to do?

Just pretend you don't have a dish. You can't connect it to a hotspot.

You need a TV with a HDMI connector. Set the TV input to the HDMI connector. You need a Roku streaming stick plugged into the HDMI connector. Turn on the phone hotspot. Set up the Roku to connect to it. Now you can watch anything on the Roku channels.

Another option is to get a "smart" TV, which will have its own wifi connection and apps built in. However, those apps will be continually updated and have few problem if you run them through a Roku device. Roku will also give you access to LOTS of channels.

I will say that Netflix does the best job (as best as I can tell) of any streaming content service so far as compressing content so it doesn't buffer at slower network speeds.

I know nothing of Iphone hotspots, but your phone service provider controls your data, regardless of the type of phone. I have a Pixel Android phone running off Verizon data. It's unlimited data up to 22 GB/month, and then if your area has heavy network usage, it will cut your speed way way back.

* This post was edited 10/25/20 12:13am by coolmom42 *

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Rover_Bill

NE. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/20 11:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DC&MC wrote:

Ok. So I have icons on our dish menu for Netflix and amazon prime video. How do I connect the dish receiver to my iPhone hotspot? I went in settings and it found the iPhone, entered password but it keeps coming back saying not connected! What else do I need to do?

Does your cell phone data plan include tethering?

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/20 12:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rover_Bill wrote:

DC&MC wrote:

Does your cell phone data plan include tethering?

They are good if they are on Verizon. Verizon does not differentiate between phone data use and hotspot data use. It's all just data.

It's my understanding that other cell phone providers don't operate this way. Just another reason I won't be moving from Verizon.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/20 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Land Yachters wrote:

our coach has Direct TV satellite antenna, but we haven't tried it yet.
I'd stick with that. Data costs are not coming down to any reasonable level for my tastes, so I'm keeping my DTV as long as they are in business.

And you can get DTV in a lot more places than you can phone service, and Rv park wifi generally sucks.

We gave up on Direct TV. Given the price, it was cheaper to get a couple of unlimited cell phone plans (already need one anyway).

We don't bother with high def most of the time. Supplemented with a bit of wifi when a campground has decent coverage, it works well.

Some of it depends on what you are watching.
- Evening news, we just use over the air.
- Typical sitcom, we go with standard def. No need to see the blackheads on the character's noses.
- Really it's movies with a lot of special effects and imagery where we will bump to high def.

We do watch a lot of youtube and it's nice because the system will automatically adjust the definition if you are on a slow connection.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

DC&MC

formerly of Keizer Oregon USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/20 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes we have Verizon. We use the hotspot when we get out the old laptop. I just don’t understand why it won’t link up with the Dish hopper. Then I could try it and see how slow or fast it is. The hopper literature says you can use an ‘Ethernet’ cable to plug it into a router if you had one. I’m wondering if I can plug it to iPhone?

2oldman

Mecca

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/20 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

We don't bother with high def most of the time.
To each is own, but I can't watch SD.

2oldman

Mecca

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/20 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

Verizon does not differentiate between phone data use and hotspot data use.
Unless I'm reading the plans wrong, they do. You can get 'unlimited' data but no hotspot. If you want hotspot they will allot you so many gigs, then throttle you.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Hulu, or something similar?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.