cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A three cylinder Bronco.....a THREE cylinder Bronco???

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
I just went to the new 2021 Bronco build & price feature on the Ford website.

So, they want me to pay nearly 30 grand for a base model Bronco Sport, and my one and only engine choice is a blasted THREE cylinder 1.5-liter?? Really???

Now, I can (almost) see only 4 color choices, and only one interior choice (color AND material), but sorry folks, I just can't bring myself to buy a little three-banger. It brings back memories of Geo Metros and the like.

C'mon Ford, don't force everybody to buy up, and up, and up to get something worth having.

There, done venting.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress
49 REPLIES 49

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Geeze wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:

So, they want me to pay nearly 30 grand for a base model Bronco Sport, and my one and only engine choice is a blasted THREE cylinder 1.5-liter?? Really???

Now, I can (almost) see only 4 color choices, and only one interior choice (color AND material), but sorry folks, I just can't bring myself to buy a little three-banger. It brings back memories of Geo Metros and the like.

C'mon Ford, don't force everybody to buy up, and up, and up to get something worth having.

There, done venting.

I just read where Chevy might put a 3 cup in their Camero, NOW THATS JUST WRONG! :S

Local scuttlebutt here is that the Camaro will be electric by 2024. It would almost have to be to be competitive by then. Or they will have to drop their price to under 20 grand if they keep it as an ice.

GM says they wonโ€™t produce ICE vehicles past 2035 anyway. They may as well gitterdun.

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/chevrolet-camaro-plant-set-to-build-an-ev-by-2024-what-it-could-...

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
A1ARealtorRick wrote:

There, done venting.

I just read where Chevy might put a 3 cup in their Camero, NOW THATS JUST WRONG! :S

rwynkoop
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I liked my Geo Metro with the 1.0 3 banger. Cruise control with skiies on top was to just keep the peddle on the floor for maybe 70/75 mph. Solid 50 mpg no matter how you drove it. 240,000 mostly trouble free miles.

Had the same car also. I'm always unsure if I remember correctly the gas mileage. 60mpg in 1993, wow, today you can't even do that with a Hybrid.
2003 Chevy 1500 HD Crew 4x4, 6.0L gas.
2007 Jayco 29BHS TT.

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
The new Chevy Trail Blazer has a 1.2L 3 cyl standard and a 1.3L 3 cyl optional. GM is very careful to hide the fact that it is a three cylinder engine. It seems a lot of the automakers are going to small turbocharged engines. I was really interested in the Trail Blazer until I found out that it was a 3 popper. Will probably look at another Equinox because of it.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Edge ST twin turbo 2.7, that they intend to put in everything as the top option.The other is even smaller motor with electric. Ours supposedly puts out 335 h, Peak on 93 octane. It is 500 pounds heavier than our 3.7 v6 213 model Edge.
We aren't saving any money on fuel. We intend to by another boat, or want to, but no way would I try it with a turbo mini motor, with design life of turbos only 150,000 miles. We have no engine braking, which is important in the hills of Tn but we have larger brakes. Our 05 F150 with 5.4litre v8 or 330ci still rides better than a Cady but gets only 16 mpg of regular cost per mile is favorable over the Edge ST in miles per dollar. 25mpg is tops on premium fuel in the Edge at moderate less than freeway speeds.
I've owned many Fords but the next one has to still fill my deeds.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Bronco Sport is a very small 3468 pound vehicle and the 1.5L turbo is plenty of power for the vehicle. Since it's not towable I would have zero interest regardless.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
Regardless, itโ€™s not towable. The full size Bronco is. And itโ€™s powered by the 2.3L 4-cylinder or optional 2.7L cylinder EcoBoost.
This alone would have me in the full size and optioned Bronco.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
The 3-cylinder EcoBoost is a great power plant, and itโ€™s smooth when itโ€™s operating all 3 cylinders. In 2 cylinder mode, itโ€™ll vibrate at lower RPMs. If that bothers you, they also offer the 2.0L EcoBoost.

Regardless, itโ€™s not towable. The full size Bronco is. And itโ€™s powered by the 2.3L 4-cylinder or optional 2.7L cylinder EcoBoost.

Not sure why the poster previously thinks the Mustang is being replaced. Itโ€™s not. The Mustang is simply being expanded into a brand (similar to the Transit), and the Mach-e is a different product that will be sold alongside it. Unfortunately we donโ€™t know yet if itโ€™s towable.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
Engines with an odd number of cylinders are inherently rougher than those with an even number of cylinders. Google it.

Funny how the complaint changes when the poor logic is pointed out.

So they won't be able to climb a hill because the engine runs rougher?

You need to re-read my posts. Did I say anything about hill climbing?? I think not.

Got anything else to needlessly spar about?
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
Engines with an odd number of cylinders are inherently rougher than those with an even number of cylinders. Google it.

Funny how the complaint changes when the poor logic is pointed out.

So they won't be able to climb a hill because the engine runs rougher?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hummer should be very smooth. ๐Ÿ™‚ Although in the interim the Ford 1.5L 3cyl eco boost should perform very well in the Bronco. I would have no qualms about just 3 spark plugs to change.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Arguably zero cylinders are the smoothest. :). Our last three cars have had zero cylinders and can attest to that. :). But then again, technically I think zero is an even number...

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
Except 4 cylinders are notoriously hard to balance above about 2 liters. Mitsubishi invented a counter rotating shaft to improve the issue.

My 1 liter Metro was actually very smooth running. Straight 6 and 90 degree V-8 are inherently very smooth running.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
A1ARealtorRick wrote:

True, and that was a highlight of a recent review of this engine in an Escape. You could actually see the vibration in the steering wheel at idle. Maybe thatโ€™s the real reason for the use of stop/start technology, not to save fuel but so you donโ€™t feel the vibration at idle so much :b.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36