cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

comfortable ride in an one ton dually??

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
We are the new owners of a Cedar Creek 33 ft and pulling it with a 2001 Dodge Dually Diesel. She weighs in wet at 15,000 lbs.
I have gotten good advise here about this issue of comfort and have done a few things like air ride seats and I am now replacing the shocks with the best out there I have been told.
My wife needs a better ride. Not sure of what to do next. There is Kelderman for about 2k.
I have tried a new one ton and did not notice much difference.
I am wondering if this is just something one deals with. I mean learns to tolerate. Maybe better off with a class a or maybe get the same suspension put on my truck?
20 REPLIES 20

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
If it's non-towing ride your having an issue with I've heard good things about Sulastic shackles.
My dually rides great when I have the Cameo behind it.
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Ah, but you cheat with that air ride suspension. LOL

I think that one could remove the overloads and add airbags and have basically the same as I do with the Factory Rear Air Ride.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ah, but you cheat with that air ride suspension. LOL
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Soft springs enable a vehicle to ride well, but you won't be hauling heavy loads with it. With a 1 ton dually, it's pretty much the nature of the beast. An aftermarket seat might help with the ride, but that would be about it. Perhaps a class A motorhome may be in your future.

I have soft springs but carry 6k pin easily. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve owned 8 HD 4WD trucks 4 being dual rear wheel trucks. THE Dodges from the 70โ€™s rode like no suspension. Our 2007 F350 Lariat rode rough empty and was still a little stout loaded. Our 2018 F350 lariat rides much smoother and is a pleasure to tow our Cardinal with.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
My experience has beenโ€ฆ Fix the trailer ride and the truck will ride much better. My current trailer has morride, shocks and an air pin box but it still needs a little more help. I am going to look into heavier springs with more arch when I get back home next spring. That is exactly what it took to fix my previous fiver. The 2600 pound springs were bottoming out and changing them to 3000 pound springs plus replacing the shocks made that fiver go from the worst riding trailer I ever had to the best riding. So, Iโ€™m thinking of going from the 3000 pound springs on my current fiver to 3500. As far as my Dooley truck goes, I had to have my springs rearched and add a leaf and that fixed the truck ride. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Soft springs enable a vehicle to ride well, but you won't be hauling heavy loads with it. With a 1 ton dually, it's pretty much the nature of the beast. An aftermarket seat might help with the ride, but that would be about it. Perhaps a class A motorhome may be in your future.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
My dually rides like a chuck wagon empty but like a Cadillac when it has a load. If you guys don't like the loaded ride it's time to wave the white flag.

I was going to say, a fifth wheel softens the ride considerably on my 3500 SRW short bed. Agree it would be time to change activities . Even with mine unloaded its fine with the rear down to 45 psi . It is a truck

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
My dually rides like a chuck wagon empty but like a Cadillac when it has a load. If you guys don't like the loaded ride it's time to wave the white flag.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Love my ride loaded or unloaded! RAM 3500 Factory Rear air ride. Truck sets nice and low for easier entry/exit. Run the rear tires 35psi unloaded. If you don't need a DRW same applies with a 3500 Long Bed.

I also have a 01 RAM so I completely know the difference.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Time to go to a Class A. Then, she not only has the comfort of the seat and the fantastic view through a huge windshield, but also the option of getting up and moving around when necessary (something no pickup can offer). My wife has a bad back and the ability to move around a little as needed makes her life a lot better. Face it, no pickup is going to ride like a Volvo!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
You could try one of these:Air ride seat

I watched the company video, but one thing I didn't see was the seats ability to oscillate. Do you know if it does? Some like it, some don't. In my semi, I like cuz it takes the jarring out of the ride IMO.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
You could try one of these:Air ride seat
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1 ton dually,long box, four door,HD. It's a large truck and doesn't ride like a Cadillac and never will.My wife and I have those horse shoe cushions on our seats. The truck is a diesel so it's a heavy beast. My wife calls it "the tank". I have Michelin tires on it and I inflate to 80 psi when towing the 5er. I drop that down to 50/55psi when not towing. It's our daily driver. My wife can drive it if needed but without the 5er. There is a noticeable difference in ride compared to my son's 1/2 ton. It has the stock shocks and suspension, but again, it's an HD truck and rides like one. It pulls a 35 ft 5er and that's why it was bought.We are both in our 70s and she notices the rough ride but we accept it for what it is. The truck is GMC Sierra, 2011 model.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF