cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Albuquerque to Tallahassee

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
MapQuest show the quickest route going I-40 to Hwy 287 into Dallas then to Jackson MS on I-20. Then down Hwy 49 and Hwy 98 to Mobile (I-10). Anyone have an opinion on the overall route and especially Hwys 49 & 98 in MS/AL? Thanks
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC
12 REPLIES 12

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
US-287 direct to I-20 isn't so bad.

Traffic in Fort Worth on a bad day is still better than traffic in Dallas on a good day. Once you hit I-20, just pick one of the center lanes and head east...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used 190 to I-12. Was easy driving most of the way. Last 5 miles or so dropping down to I-12 was very busy.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Would Hwy 190 E over to I-12 a good road to miss the construction?

Yes, that is what I meant in an earlier post as an alternate: Turn at Opelousas onto 190 rather than going on to Lafayette. I often choose to go that way.

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
prichardson wrote:
I would avoid the I-10 stretch between I-49 and Baton Rouge. Major construction on the Lafayette end and east bound is a problem at Baton Rouge except on weekend early mornings.

Would Hwy 190 E over to I-12 a good road to miss the construction?
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
I would avoid the I-10 stretch between I-49 and Baton Rouge. Major construction on the Lafayette end and east bound is a problem at Baton Rouge except on weekend early mornings.

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
Great info guys. We really appreciate it!!!
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
Take 82 after Wichita Falls (actually at Henrietta) and avoid the DFW area.
x2

Taking US-69 south at Bells all the way to I-20

or US-82 to Texarkana then I-49 to I-220 on the north side of Shreveport

are both equally good routes.

Re- Going through Jackson MS on I-20/US-49 or I-10/I-12 through Baton Rouge

I-20 across north LA is a rougher road than I-49 to Lafayette and I-10/I-12 through Baton Rouge across the north side of Lake Pontchartrain.

It is a trade off because Baton Rouge can be a choke point if there is traffic. A city where you must avoid weekday rush hour.

US-49/98 is the preferred route of my first cousin. I haven't personally driven it in more years than I can remember. (EDIT - I figured it out - Southbound Feb 1979, Northbound - Oct 1982 - USN tour in the Caribbean between those two dates)

She drives it maybe a dozen times a year. Says the road from Jackson through Hattisburg to Mobile is a good easy drive. (Our mothers were sisters and the family home/ our high school was near the AR/LA border north of Shreveport, and she has lived in the Mobile area since 1968.)
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you take I-20 across Louisiana, take I-220 around the north side of Shreveport/Bossier City. Unless they have rebuilt/repaired that stretch of I-20 thru Shreveport/Bossier City, it is one of the roughest 15 miles of interstate I have ever been on. The rest of I-20 is not bad.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
49 is OK never been on 98 in AL

US 98 is fine until the very outskirts of Mobile. I have found several ways to get around some of the congestion (which is not that bad compared with many other metro areas). One key is to get on I-65 South and take it around to intersect with I-10 E.

49 to 98 in Mississippi is a route we often take to Florida.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
In Texas if after Wichita Falls you pick up US82 to Sherman then US69 down to I-20 you can avoid the Fort Worth Dallas metro area. These are both good roads.

This has been my recommended route for some time, but I have lately found a good alternative:

stay on US 82 to Texarkana then take I-49. You can either stay on I-49 to Lafayette (or Opelousas) OR take I-20 East from Shreveport.

The point is I agree with prichardson to take 82 after Wichita Falls (actually at Henrietta) and avoid the DFW area.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
49 is OK never been on 98 in AL
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
In Texas if after Wichita Falls you pick up US82 to Sherman then US69 down to I-20 you can avoid the Fort Worth Dallas metro area. These are both good roads.