cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

charge house battery from TV

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer
What do I need to do to be able to charge my house battery from the TV generator while traveling during the day
5 REPLIES 5

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Charging is fairly slow. If you are really relying on getting a full charge while you drive 4 to 6+ hours consider a DC-DC charger to get the right voltage on the trailer battery.

https://www.renogy.com/12v-dc-to-dc-on-board-battery-charger/

Almost all vehicles manufactured after 2000 use some kind of "samrt charging" system. This LOWERS the output of the alternator to about 13.2V (after a few minutes of starting) which is not high enough to recharge your house batteries. It is usually adequate to prevent them from discharging further.

If you really want your house batteries recharged, you MUST use a DC-DC charger. There are a few manufacturers who make such devices.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
DReisinger wrote:
What do I need to do to be able to charge my house battery from the TV generator while traveling during the day
Assuming all is working as designed just connect and drive.

If you want to verify all is working get out your voltmeter and observe if the trailer battery voltage rises as you plug the connector into the running truck.

Charging is fairly slow. If you are really relying on getting a full charge while you drive 4 to 6+ hours consider a DC-DC charger to get the right voltage on the trailer battery.

https://www.renogy.com/12v-dc-to-dc-on-board-battery-charger/

Best to get the 20 amp.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I believe Ford is the only one that has a factory relay to disconnect power.
One of these using installation diagram works very well for this purpose.
Battery switch
Installation instructions

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Your 7 pin plug should have a full time hot wire on both the TV and trailer. The battery kill switch on the trailer must be in the on position. Make sure the truck has a solenoid that prevents the trailer from draining the truck battery when not running.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Not positive on Ram trucks, but GMs you need to connect the charge wire in under hood power center.
Check your owner's manual. You may need to replace a dummy fuse with a thirty ampere fuse.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker