Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Battery over charging
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Battery over charging

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Rwake901

Central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/20 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without changing the converter do they make something I can install in-line to keep from over charging my batteries. If I leave my 5th wheel plugged in all the time it will eventually boil my batteries unless I turn off the battery switch. I was hoping that maybe they make something that I can just install in-line to keep this from happening, but still keep the batteries charged. Thanks

* This post was edited 10/26/20 07:55am by Rwake901 *

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not believe anyone sells an "add on" device. The simple solution is to plug your 5er into a cheap, mechanical, lamp timers and set it to run only 4 hours per day.

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to say, yes, my buddy told me that he just installed something for this on his boat but I don't know the technical name for the device.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good 3 stage charger will not over charge batteries. Also load test the batteries to be sure they are not part of the problem.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/20 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please measure the voltage on the battery terminals. s/b 13.2 to 13.65 volts. Post the results.
The solution is to replace the defective charging device.

If your battery is going bad with a shorted cell it will have the symptoms of overcharging.
Only use distilled water for topping up the cells. Fill to 1/4" to 1/8" below the split tube that extends down into the cell. Just touching the bottom of the tube is absolute max. Overfilling can also push electrolyte out the caps.

Post the model number of your converter or inverter/charger for best options.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The converter on my friends 2002 trailer has a spot for an add on device. I remember the connector looking like an old phone line connection.

The device changed the charging pattern to work better when leaving the trailer plugged in 24/7.

Ed9824v

Agua Dulce, Calif. 70 mi N.E. of Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

The converter on my friends 2002 trailer has a spot for an add on device. I remember the connector looking like an old phone line connection.

The device changed the charging pattern to work better when leaving the trailer plugged in 24/7.

sounds like the wizard I have for my progressive dynamic charger for may trailer https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/charge-wizard/
made exclusively for the progressive dynamics charager

Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

Rwake901

Central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed9824v wrote:

wopachop wrote:

sounds like the wizard I have for my progressive dynamic charger for may trailer https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/charge-wizard/
made exclusively for the progressive dynamics charager

I’ll have to see what brand of converter I have to see if this might work. Thanks

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/20 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rwake901 wrote:

Without changing the converter do they make something I can install in-line to keep from over charging my batteries. If I leave my 5th wheel plugged in all the time it will eventually boil my batteries unless I turn off the battery switch. I was hoping that maybe they make something that I can just install in-line to keep this from happening, but still keep the batteries charged. Thanks

I was under the impression these newer converters maintained the batteries . I sold my previous fifth wheel this past spring ,had two group 27 batteries in it that I purchased in late 2009 ,still going strong , that fifth wheel was plugged in 24/7 for 10 years, and never had an issue with boiling the batteries dry.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plug the RV into a timer. Set it for one hour per day. Plug the timer into shore power.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Battery over charging
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.