cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outdoor Storage and Snow

atrerice
Explorer
Explorer
We live in southeast Michigan and normally I store the camper in a barn. This winter it will likely be outside. Do I need to be concerned with snow building up on the roof at all? I do have a fabric cover for it - will that help at all? Or do I need to plan to clear the snow off every time it snows? Thanks in advance!
12 REPLIES 12

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't bother with a cover. They trap moisture and can also rub up against the walls and roof when the wind ripples them and dull the finish or damage the caulked seams.

Never had a problem with snow loads in NE Illinois. I do keep the roof on a slight angle (tongue up) so the snow-melt can run off the back gutters.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

atrerice
Explorer
Explorer
When I store it, I normally lower the tongue so the water will run off the roof so that should help with the melting snow. I do have a cover for it - will it help, or is it not really necessary?

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
We get 120"-300" per season here in central/northern NY. Never heard of anyone having a snow load problem. Now mice or tree branches, that's a different story! The trailer is never going to be "too" level that water doesn't run off it. The only thing I'd ever worry about is exposed OE vents that get brittle and can break. Maxxairs take care of that problem.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, Iโ€™d put a plastic tarp over the soft cover. A bit bigger than the roof minimum.
Snow slides off it easily with a push broom then.
Also helps with puddling, ice build up and ice sticking to the soft cover.
Ripped a nice cover from use build up.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m wondering if the vents in the A/C unit will leak with the snow on top.
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA
2022 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2023 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
There are thousands of trailers stored outside over winter in heavy snow areas and they seem to be ok. Just look at all the trailers sitting on dealers lots all winter and they are not cleaned off. You could do more damage clearing the snow off than just leaving it alone.

There are hundreds of thousands of trailers out there with leaky roofs too.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
I have had up to 2 feet of snow on my TT roof which I removed after the storms with a plastic snow rake. The snow was dry and so it was light. Not sure I would want that amount of wet snow up there though. I clean any amount of snow if the snow event is followed by mild weather or rain. Freeze/thaw cycles and wet weather are also a concern.

The local RV dealers were not worried about it, though--I do not recall them ever shoveling off a roof.

The only issue that I ever had was tearing the TT cover when the rake caught a wrinkle........ I don't use covers any more. LOL.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

atrerice
Explorer
Explorer
When I parked it at the storage lot the other day, I was thinking the same thing - there are hundreds of these campers here all parked outside with no issues.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to remove, be very careful or you'll break something.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
In SE Michigan snow will not be an issue.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I would park it so there's a bit of an angle to let water run off (so you don't have a combined snow/water load sitting up there all winter). My neighbor, who knew how to shrink-wrap boats, used to shrink-wrap a little "cap" on his trailer roof....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
There are thousands of trailers stored outside over winter in heavy snow areas and they seem to be ok. Just look at all the trailers sitting on dealers lots all winter and they are not cleaned off. You could do more damage clearing the snow off than just leaving it alone.