cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue water in black tank - does it freeze?

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our camper in the spring and have not put water in it at all. The black water tank has some blue water in it from the previous owner.

It's cold now. Does that blue water have any anti-freeze properties in it or should I put some potable RV antifreeze in the tank? I'm not using the toilet. Would it be better to just drain it and leave it dry?
1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"
20 REPLIES 20

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If I couldn't dump I would just add some antifreeze - just in case.
Kevin

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
d3500ram wrote:
Color me ignorant, but... what is "blue" water?

I know what black water is, I know gray water... I know what is meant by "pink stuff." I have used blue windshield wiper fluid in my black tank and cassette reservoir (but I don't think that is what we are talking 'bout here.)

Is blue water just another term for regular potable water in the domestic pluming?

Blue water probably = tank deodorizer in the water. He’ll be fine...

I’m afraid I’m just as ignorant. It’s been so long since I’d used the blue holding tank chemical that I forgot that the most widely used one is blue :S

“With all things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the right one.” — William of Ockham

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips. It is water with deodorizer I am sure based on the scent in the bathroom. For now, I put some RV anti freeze in it until I get home from an elk trip for a few days. After that, I'll drive it somewhere and drain it properly and winterize with RV antifreeze.
1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dump the tanks, winterize the water system with pink RV antifreeze and don’t forget to winterize/flush the toilet.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
d3500ram wrote:

I know what black water is, I know gray water... I know what is meant by "pink stuff." I have used blue windshield wiper fluid in my black tank and cassette reservoir (but I don't think that is what we are talking 'bout here.)

Is blue water just another term for regular potable water in the domestic pluming?

Blue water. The stuff the chit sucker puts back in the tank in the blue room after he removes the baby Ruth’s and corn!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
d3500ram wrote:

Blue water probably = tank deodorizer in the water. He’ll be fine...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blue water makes me think its got whatever the base water quantity plus the standard Tank stink solution (which is generally blue) in it. If the tank is predominately, empty, it won't cause damage, but it will freeze.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago when I bought a 33ft travel trailer from Nelson's RV,there was work that had to be done with it before I took ownership and we lived 100 miles away in McCall Idaho..So they let us stay in it on the lot while they took acre of mostly outside minor problems...

The guy took a 3# coffee can full of rock salt and poured it down the toilet..The black never froze there in the lot or the long trip back home in freezing temps..

Simple and cheap as well as RV anti-freeze..If in doubt,put something in it and be safe..They will crack and break..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Bedlam
mkirsch wrote:
Unless the tank is right full where the water has nowhere to go when it expands it won't cause a problem when it freezes.

The freezing temperature of blue water is lower than regular water but nowhere near as low as the pink stuff.

You may find your dump valves frozen solid and will not move till thawed if water is in your waste tanks. This is not a problem if you plan to wait till Spring to use the camper again or you have access to the valves with a hair drier.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it could freeze. Use the pink!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
Unless the tank is right full where the water has nowhere to go when it expands it won't cause a problem when it freezes.

The freezing temperature of blue water is lower than regular water but nowhere near as low as the pink stuff.

Depends on who's blue water it is....I've heard no splash at well above zero and close to freezing sometimes! lol

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wow, that stinks (not literally) bought a new camper and didn't get to use it once?

If it's blue juice like porta pottys, it freezes in Idahoo.

I use windshield washer fluid generally for all my tank/p trap winterizing on boat and camper. Usually because it was cheaper.
Just walking through the farm supply yesterday, both were on display for the same price, lol.

Since you don't know how much blue juice is in it, I'd dump it first to be safe, although you escaped the arctic blast this weekend, but not tonight maybe.

Unlike the post above, hopefully they didn't fill your water lines with pink stuff, yuck, but have you confirmed that it's winterized?

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect the previous owner winterized the P-traps and black tank with windshield washer fluid (the sub-freezing type). If you can contact the PO and confirm that, I’d just leave it.

Hopefully the fresh water lines have pink RV antifreeze in them.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!