cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rapid City, SD area RV park

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
I am the rally coordinator for our June 2022 rally. I know that is a long way off but you need to start early on these things. I am looking for an RV park in the Rapid City/Keystone/Hill City area.
We will need about 40 sites, a couple of cabins, pavilion or similar space and big rig accessibility. Back in sites are OK as long as they are long enough. Obviously some pull through sites are preferred. Most of our rally attendees will stay at least 7 nights.
Just browsing through RV park reviews I have come up with a couple of possibilities: Rafter J Bar Ranch in Hill City and Heartland RV Park in Hermosa.
I am open to any other recommendations and would appreciate comments on these two.
15 REPLIES 15

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
narcodog wrote:
Rapid City has one of their own, across the street form one of the first fish hatchery's in the country.

Thats not Rapid City, but is located in Spearfish, the city owned campground is adjacent to the hatchery and the city park. Very nice place but possibly not large enough for the type of rally the OP is referring to as many of the sites are tight and difficult to get a large rig into. I have stayed at Spearfish, it is quite nice.

https://www.cityofspearfish.com/DocumentCenter/View/207/Campground-Map-PDF

https://www.cityofspearfish.com/185/Campground

Rapid City has a fairground campground but it is a plain gravel area with pedestals, probably not what you are looking for.

Google map with fairground info.

RV parking is in the NE corner at the corner of Centre and Campbell Streets. Looks like nearly fifty sites in 24 back to back setups.

KOA on highway 79 at Hot Springs is OK but not super fancy, has some cabins and a pavilion area. This is on the south end of the Hills and about 45 minutes from Rapid City (locals simply call it Rapid).

KOA Hot Springs

Lake Angostura is a little far out, south of Hot Springs, and has about four campgrounds, all state owned.

Angostura Lake campgrounds Google Maps

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Mt Rushmore KOA will fit the bill. Hundreds of RV sites. Cabins from small to multiple bedrooms. Water park, Bar. Restaurant. Wine tasting. Horses. We were there last month and had a great time.

I agree...great place! We stayed here while visiting Mt Rushmore..Custer State Park and Bear Country drive-thru nearby.

justlou
Explorer
Explorer
Elkhorn Ridge near Spearfish is an excellent RV park. Not sure what you are looking for as far as facilities and price, but they have everything you would need for a rally.
justlou
2006 Monaco Diplomat
2014 Honda CR-V AWD

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Checkout Buffalo Ridge in Custer close to all the attractions and sites are not crammed next to each other.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Also Heartland is a nice resort, but it's literally in the middle of nowhere. It doesn't have the normal "Black Hills" scenery as it's on the east side of the hills. If your goal is to just sit at your campground the whole time, then it's good for that, but if part of the goal is to go view the sights in the Black Hills, I'd find something else closer to "stuff".
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
In June we stayed at Custer's Gulch in Custer that would fit the bill I think. When we arrived on a Saturday, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation was having a meet up there. Mostly Full hookups (some electric only, but they do have a dump station on site) and sites of all sizes, mostly back in but long, a few pull throughs, The sites are spaced out so you're not crammed in like you would be at the KOA and many other parks in the area. Clubhouse, and some cabins too. Only caveat is there isn't much for kids to do if that's a concern for your group.

Rafter J Bar looked really nice too. Just was more expensive than Custer's Gulch, probably due to having a pool etc.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drive a bit further west and stay in the city park in Spearfish. The creek comes out of the canyon there and there is a 'historical' fish hatchery right beside it. FHU and beautiful place
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
IDman wrote:
I forgot to mention that Custer has several parks that could work. You might also check with Custer State Park as I know they have a couple of group areas.

Narcodog (above) has the wrong town. Spearfish has their own RV park at the fish hatchery.

yup, your right.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Chris's campground outside Spearfish, SD is nice.
Heartland is nice in Hermosa, SD is nice.
I stayed at Southern Hills in Hermosa (almost next door to Heartland) and it was nice, too.

Not sure Southern Hills has cabins, tho.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have stayed at Kris' Campground just outside of Spearfish is nice. They have some sites with full hookup, some basic and cabins for rent. They owners are very nice and the property has always been clean and well maintained.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to mention that Custer has several parks that could work. You might also check with Custer State Park as I know they have a couple of group areas.

Narcodog (above) has the wrong town. Spearfish has their own RV park at the fish hatchery.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Rafter J Bar would be great if you could get an entire section of the park to yourselves. It is in 4-5 different areas. One in the woods, one in open sun/grassy area, one by pool and basketball, etc. It is close to many attractions.
Hermosa is not close to any attractions and if I recall correctly, it is just an open parking lot atmosphere.

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rapid City has one of their own, across the street form one of the first fish hatchery's in the country.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Mt Rushmore KOA will fit the bill. Hundreds of RV sites. Cabins from small to multiple bedrooms. Water park, Bar. Restaurant. Wine tasting. Horses. We were there last month and had a great time.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE