Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: everyday truck ideas needed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> everyday truck ideas needed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
jukes

Aptos

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yeah the Cyber Truck def got him attention... we shall see [emoticon]

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/20 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“..lcurrent TT has a GVW of 7350 but we load it up...”

Won’t be fun in a midsize truck with lots of mountain camping.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

I cannot imagine a cg with a charging station for that electric p/u. Those may be great but I suspect will be limited to urban areas with charging stations. Rewiring a campground for charging stations would be very costly. And where is that Tesla truck that Musk was bloviating about, one and done?

Meh. Superchargers and DC fast charging is pretty widespread now. And you can get a decent overnight charge from any 50 amp RV site. EV charging is not really a big deal for most. Everybody has to assess their own use of course.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/20 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone know (for sure) if any all electric car or truck will be flat towable or or even dollied? I suspect one will need to use a trailer to tow an all electric.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jukes wrote:

Ha yes, the Excursion is 2003 but going strong with 375k on it...! So... we typically have to go over a big hill to get anywhere more than 20 mins away...We are in CA so lots of camping in the mountains to be done.. I read the new 1500 Diesel Ram has good towing power, double the gas version, I don't have to buy new though, but not totally against it (never have)... It's not that we have to use it to tow... but probably will eventually. but I need something for daily town/highway driving..

Stay away from the VM Motori diesels in the Ram 1500s.
You could get either of the other 2 new 1/2 ton diesels. Both will have sufficient power to tow your trailer and the best daily driver fuel mileage. Neither will be the best towing half tons though. More equivalent to the mid range gasser half tons for towing performance.
But any of the big engine gassers in the newer half tons, the Hemi, Ecoboost or 6.2 GM will pull that trailer VERY well.
Presume you want crew cab. That with a 5’ short bed will be big enough but smaller and more maneuverable than the Ex.

You mentioned mid size but those won’t cut it for your current trailer.

* This post was edited 10/26/20 07:02pm by Grit dog *

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Depending on your timeline there will be 3 or 4 manufacturers coming out with electric half tons in the next couple years. Depending on the trailer and how far you haul it might be something to consider.

Cheers

Mmmkkay buddy.
“ Depending how far you haul it....”. Lol
That’s a lot of extension cords. Guessing someone with almost 400k on their rig doesn’t stay within extension cord range of a charging station! But icbw.
It’ll be great to see when an EV can actually compete with a truck burning dead dinosaurs. But it ain’t going to be in 3-4 years.
And by compete, I mean total ownership cost, power, range, all of it.
A $49000 cyber truck will need new Duracell’s before you get out of some counties pulling a trailer!
However I’m personally waiting for them to break loose as well. I want to make money investing in what all the leaf lickers ( and there’s plenty of em) think is the best thing since beer in a can!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

Anyone know (for sure) if any all electric car or truck will be flat towable or or even dollied? I suspect one will need to use a trailer to tow an all electric.

That would be cool. Maybe make it drag and generate/recharge while towing it with a dinosaur burner!

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

Yep. Rivian announced last year that their truck will be 4 wheel towable. Neither Tesla or Ford has said anything. I know none of the existing Tesla’s can be towed four down so I wouldn’t count on the Cybertruck being towable four down.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what you are doing and going, I would bet ANY of the 1500's with a turbo motor, be it gas or diesel will pull a 7000 lb trailer just fine. Better yet or at least on par as a BIG V8 gas motor at elevation.
The GM 4 banger has IIRC about 320hp and 350 lb ft of torque with an 8 sp trans. 1st is 4.3-1, with 3.42 or if you can get 3.73 gears, should not have issues starting on hills etc.
Not recalling the HP/torque specs for the GM 6 cyl in the 1500 trucks, but I m recalling an 8 or 10 sp behind it. Mid 10-30 mpg.......Could be a good local driver, even if a bit slower on grades, the mpg may be worth it.
Fords Eco boost, especially the 3.5, with the heavy duty payload pkg, probably the BEST truck all around from an MPG, HP/torque, a turbo so the Sierra elevations should not hurt it power wise like you 7.3 in the EX.
I really doubt any of the newer 1500's are bigger per say than an WX. ford made it to be bigger than a GM suburban on purpose. While they will be smaller, not really "SMALLER" per say, talking inches, like no more than 6 maybe 8' length width or height! Altho a crew cab with a 6.5' box would probably be a bit longer.

Good luck on your choices.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/20 03:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

I cannot imagine a cg with a charging station for that electric p/u. Those may be great but I suspect will be limited to urban areas with charging stations.

At least you can always imagine. May as well write off any state or fed campgrounds though such as USACE. From what Ive seen any planned upgrades to sites, even the basics such as paving, restrooms, etc take years to come to fruition. One VA state park upgraded 8 sites to full hook up and it took 4 years of bloviating and another 3 to do the work. One we are familiar with in MD has been saying they're upgrading the overloaded 30 amp services installed in the early 80s to 50 amp for at least the last 5 years, no sign of any work yet.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> everyday truck ideas needed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.