Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: everyday truck ideas needed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> everyday truck ideas needed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/20 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jukes wrote:

Hi, soon my Prius will go to our son.... I am considering a pick up truck, but it will be my daily vehicle, running kids around etc.
We'd also use it to throw our bicycles in, and maybe in the future for towing...
Husband loves diesel....worth the extra $?
Currently we use our 7.3L Diesel Excursion to tow our 30' 2007 Jayco TT. Not sure the smaller trucks would tow this, but we have the Excursion and plan to get a smaller TT in a few years once the kids no longer come along...
I don't really like driving the Excursion, would there be a truck that's a bit smaller than this, or not really? That could possibly even tow the TT?

Not sure if anyone makes small trucks capable puling large trailer
Nowadays,
Something like this would be perfect daily driver and TT hauler too Id think
https://youtu.be/KTwzXxVMB1w

jukes

Aptos

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/20 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

jukes wrote:

Hi, soon my Prius will go to our son.... I am considering a pick up truck, but it will be my daily vehicle, running kids around etc.
We'd also use it to throw our bicycles in, and maybe in the future for towing...
Husband loves diesel....worth the extra $?
Currently we use our 7.3L Diesel Excursion to tow our 30' 2007 Jayco TT. Not sure the smaller trucks would tow this, but we have the Excursion and plan to get a smaller TT in a few years once the kids no longer come along...
I don't really like driving the Excursion, would there be a truck that's a bit smaller than this, or not really? That could possibly even tow the TT?

Nowadays,

I could put a lift on the Excursion and it would beat the one in the video lol

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 12:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Nowadays,

Lol. Looks like that dill weed tried to pull it out with his front bumper first!!
On the upside I couldn’t think of a much worse TT puller than an old Blazer on 38” mudders....so you must have been kidding.
Even the small totally inadequate midsize new pickups the OP posed as suggestions would likely do a better job pulling a 7klb TT.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jukes wrote:

This is our 2007 Jay Feather LGT Floorplan 30 U
WEIGHTS
Unloaded Vehicle Weight 5875
Hitch Weight (lbs) 850
Gross Vehicle Weight (lbs) 7350
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 1475

Would these 3 trucks below be okay..........

Not unless you like to live life on the edge.

That hitch weight is empty. Full, you should be up around 800-900lb...add in 100lb for the truck hitch.

Those trucks with 4x4 and the biggest cab to fit the kids will have a payload of around 1500lb...that means you have around 500lb after you hitch up the trailer. That 500lb has to cover:
- Any bolt on stuff like running boards, truck caps, etc...
- The weight of people...say 4 of you at 150lb average is 600lb.
- Any cargo in the truck bed. Say 100lb of firewood, 4 bikes at 30lb each, a full cooler.

Start adding up and you are likely way over the payload of the truck.

At a minimum, you need a 1/2ton and it needs to be one of the 1/2ton trucks with a high payload rating (some 1/2 ton models have payloads down around 1500). Really, if you want to load up the truck with a bunch of stuff in the bed while towing, I would be looking at 3/4 ton trucks as you are at the upper limit of the high capacity 1/2 ton trucks already.

Keep in mind big cabs that hold plenty of people weigh more and eat up payload. These little trucks are just not suitable. The tow rating is based on a stripped out truck with just a driver pulling a flatbed trailer. In real life, it's hard to hit the tow rating without being over on a different rating.

If the hubby has a full size van, does it have sufficient seating for the family? A full size body on frame van has good potential as a tow vehicle.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

jukes

Aptos

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info! The excursion seats us all and tows the TT easily, it’s why we got the excursion. So we are good there for now.. in future we will get a lighter TT or even MH..so for now I guess what I need if I dont want to get a big truck that can also tow our TT, is either a smaller one that can just be my daily driver, throw the bikes in etc.
Or just get a car I can put a good bike rack on [emoticon] it’s the bikes that are a problem, I can get an EBike rack that mine will go on..it won’t fit in a regular bike rack.
I will go test drive some trucks though and see!
Now I am
Clear as to what will work and what won’t. Thanks so much everyone.

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The current 1/2 ton pickups are surprisingly fuel effecient.
My 2019 F-150 Super Crew 5.0 V8 gets better MPG than my 2008 V6 Explorer city & highway. Your TT GVWR is in the sweet spot for ful size 1/2 ton truck towing with factory to package. As was referenced, the Load Capacity can be a concern as the more luxury added takes away both Load Capacity and tow capacity.
Note: GCWR minus the truck curb weight, full tank, 150# driver equals the Tow Rating.
IOW, tow rating includes the tow vehicle load capacity minus the driver.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

jukes

Aptos

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boomerweps wrote:

The current 1/2 ton pickups are surprisingly fuel effecient.
My 2019 F-150 Super Crew 5.0 V8 gets better MPG than my 2008 V6 Explorer city & highway. Your TT GVWR is in the sweet spot for ful size 1/2 ton truck towing with factory to package. As was referenced, the Load Capacity can be a concern as the more luxury added takes away both Load Capacity and tow capacity.
Note: GCWR minus the truck curb weight, full tank, 150# driver equals the Tow Rating.
IOW, tow rating includes the tow vehicle load capacity minus the driver.

super helpful thank you. it's like a foreign language lol

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Nowadays,

You mean the Ford tow truck or the redneck mobile? lol

A lifted short wheelbase K5 would be the worst towing choice - short wb, high CG, and relatively weak powertrain.

I'm afraid there's nothing more "power dense" than an old Excursion or 8.1 Suburban. Both could pull 12k properly specced, and were relatively compact.

A 2020 F150 with HD payload and max tow, ext cab short bed (does that unicorn exist?) would be close in both payload and towing capacity. But you lose ability to seat 8 / 9 people.

chasbz20

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm new here, stumbled across this thread while searching for info on Jayco roof repair. I have a 30' 2006 Jay Flight and was in a situation similar to yours - wanted a smooth ride in a 1/2 ton truck. After researching, I settled on a 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Z71 4WD and have been very happy with it! Need to keep the speed max around 60mph in order to get 10-11mpg, tho. BUT - I live in relatively flat territory and haven't traveled the mountains with it yet. Still not sure if I'll use this truck to make an Alaska trip in 2022. Great daily driver and flat land TOAD, maybe not so much for mountains!
SO - here's the scoop - get a great education at https://rvtowcheck.com/ - or http://fifthwheelst.info/app/rvtc-v3/ - download their app and don't cheat the numbers. There's more to this than you'd think! I got lucky with this truck, actual rated GCWR of 15,000, GVWR of 7,200, payload 1,748, max trailer weight 9,200, weighed in at a CAT scale at 5,580 empty with heavy weight distributing truck hitch on and full fuel tank. 5.3L gas engine with 3.42 axle. Jayco rated the trailer at 5555 dry with hitch tongue weight of 755. Actual CAT scale trailer weight empty but with bedding, one 1/2 full tank propane, two batteries was 6,160, CAT scale tongue of 980. According to Real RV TowCheck with these real numbers plugged in, using the safest 15% tongue weight parameter my truck can handle a maximum trailer weight of 7,466 pounds with all real weights plugged in. Using the marginal 10% it can handle trailer weight of 8,920 pounds. Power was fine but fuel mileage sucked. BOTTOM LINE - RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY! DON'T GUESS!

* This post was edited 10/31/20 06:09pm by chasbz20 *

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jukes wrote:

Hi, soon my Prius will go to our son....

That is one way to make sure he doesn't have premarital sex.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> everyday truck ideas needed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.