cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

made up own towing system

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Have anybody seen people with made up tow bars? The other day I seen a A class getting reading to hook up to a full size chevy. rear of car had a receiver he slid is bar under under car past it raised it pushed it inti receiver and pinned it went to front raised it into channel and raised it and pined it to channel. on front I think 2 7/8 locker he had wife back up rv to latch it on. The back of the receiver on the A class as able to move up and down about 4 inches.I asked him how far as he traveled with this system he told me across the usa 3 time never a problem. His buddy built it for him for free on his spare time. anybody else seen things strange like this ti save money. The state he came from was Kentucky.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide
20 REPLIES 20

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Simplest and cheapest tow system. I've used it many times over the years....:)...Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
crawford wrote:
wish I did my wife aways yells that I forget it all the time.

Without punctuation this post can be read two different ways :W

:B :B :B

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
crawford wrote:

Without punctuation this post can be read two different ways :W
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I have made 2 tow bars for jeeps and I fabricated my own bumper with hitch on a 30' class A motor home that was stronger and better than any bumper I have seen since. The bumper was made from 4" x 6" 1/4" wall tube. It was tied back into the frame in several spots on each side. It had 3" solid steel wheels with greaseable pins for when the MH drug bottom going in and out of some driveways.

I have built flat beds for trucks and built trailers. It really depends on your skill level.

Some stuff I have seen that came from an Import factory scares me more than a well built home made project. I have also seen home built stuff that scares me.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
Homemade stuff scares me. Huge liability exposure IMO.

1 thing about it; If it is homemade you can be sure it was made to use. Most of what is manufactured is only made to sell. Of course, a lot depends on what home it is made in.
And mfg units have millions of successful miles of usage. Which one would you prefer to have when explainig your side to the insurance company or judge?

Liability is also a consideration for me and top of the list for a toad is the aux brake.

For serious accidents professionals hired by lawyers with equipped cars measure every aspect of road variations, vehicle setup, speed, etc.

First off, the post I quoted appeared to disparage "homemade" in general, not just towing systems. Most things that are manufactured serve there propose well. Others, as soon as money goes across the counter they have done all they are designed to do. Much that is sold is advertised as universal fit. Most think that always means it will fit all applications. But what it means is it is never a exact fit. Often a handy person can build something that does exactly what he wants, and will work better for him than store bought.
As for liability, the guy that lays the money down is going to assume that whoever built it did it right. Might even read the directions. If you are using something you built you know how it is supposed to look/work. If something is going wrong he is more likely to be aware if something is going wrong. This, IMHO, reduces the chance of accident.
Accident, you are using storebought. The injured party names you in the suit. You try to pass responsibility to the corporation that made it. Likely, if you are using defective equipment the injured party will win. But as most courts are likely to find in favor of the corporation.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Guess my $30 and 30 seconds to install braking system is going to scare and worry some of Yโ€™all. 2 more payments and it will be paid for. Again only been using it for 120K miles.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRscooby wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:

1 thing about it; If it is homemade you can be sure it was made to use. Most of what is manufactured is only made to sell. Of course, a lot depends on what home it is made in.
And mfg units have millions of successful miles of usage. Which one would you prefer to have when explainig your side to the insurance company or judge?

Liability is also a consideration for me and top of the list for a toad is the aux brake.

For serious accidents professionals hired by lawyers with equipped cars measure every aspect of road variations, vehicle setup, speed, etc.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Bruce_Brown
Years ago I made/fabricated the vehicle attachment for my '95 Dodge Stratus. I towed the car for years without issue.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
120K miles behind 3 different DPs. Advantage is I can backup and get to discuss with the toll booth person how many axles I should pay for.

Only 8K miles towing a Prius...itโ€™s not a dolly.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve never for got the movinโ€™โ€™ parts.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
It might be cheeper. Iโ€™ve saw them.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad