cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30 amp vs. 50 amp question

kopy_kat
Explorer
Explorer
I have a spot reserved at an Rv park, but all they had available was a 30 amp hookup.

So...

-do I still put my 50 amp EMS In line after the 30/50 converter?

-I know I canโ€™t run both a/c units, but can I still run the heat pump?

So much to learn with this new unit!

Thanks, Larry
2013 Flagstaff 8528ikws---"Camp MiMiPaPa"
13 REPLIES 13

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
EMS and heat pump OK, you just can't exceed the 30A pedestal CB limit with all of your loads.

Actually, you can hit 30A for a few seconds but the circuit is limited to 80% of the rating for continuous loads (ie: 24amps).

This explains a lot of burnt up sockets and cable ends. For a couple seconds, pushing to 30amps when the air/con compressor kicks on, won't be enough time to overheat anything but 4hr of continuous draw right at the 30amp limit and it can burn up a plug (particularly if it's an old and worn outlet).
Good point, 30A or more like motor starting. The NEC recommends 80% load for sustained use which seems to be largely ignored by RVers.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
CA Traveler wrote:
EMS and heat pump OK, you just can't exceed the 30A pedestal CB limit with all of your loads.

Actually, you can hit 30A for a few seconds but the circuit is limited to 80% of the rating for continuous loads (ie: 24amps).

This explains a lot of burnt up sockets and cable ends. For a couple seconds, pushing to 30amps when the air/con compressor kicks on, won't be enough time to overheat anything but 4hr of continuous draw right at the 30amp limit and it can burn up a plug (particularly if it's an old and worn outlet).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
A/C and Heat pump is the same unit. A heat pump is just a phrase for a reversing valve to reverse the direction of the gas in an A/C system.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ed_Gee wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Yes.

Shore power-->adapter-->ems-->rv

Limit your loads to 24 amps if that is possible.

If you are lucky enough to have a hybrid inverter/charger, then turn on the load support feature.

Not really --- You'll do it this way:
shore power pedestal >> eMS >> adapter >> rv cable.

He is plugging in a 50 amp rv to a 30 amp shore power. Therefore the adapter comes first.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
How you going to push a 50a EMS into a 30a pedestal?
Not much escapes time2roll. :B

Bob

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed_Gee wrote:
How you going to push a 50a EMS into a 30a pedestal?

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Yes.

If you are lucky enough to have a hybrid inverter/charger, then turn on the load support feature.

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

kopy_kat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses.

Larry
2013 Flagstaff 8528ikws---"Camp MiMiPaPa"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Make a chart of starting and running amps.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I have been able to run everything inside on 30amps, including the fireplace and microwave at the same time. Like you said just not two A/C's.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You can live well on 30 amps!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.