Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Fifth Wheels with an onaboard Onan
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth Wheels with an onaboard Onan

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"I have the 6500 version"

Copy Cat

But...BUT... but. mine is NOT 240. [emoticon]

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

work2much

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Usually optional. Some dealers stock a few with the genset installed but typically you need to order the unit or have it dealer installed. Many people prefer a portable gas unit for cost savings, weight savings, noise reduction and efficiency. The propane unit has the advantage of simply hitting a switch to start it.

Look for units that have generator prep and the dealer can take it from there. This is a costly add on though whether you order the trailer with it factory installed or have a dealer/repair shop install it. You might also want to look at the weight addition and make sure you have enough cargo carrying capacity for it along with all the other stuff you load into the trailer. Some 5th wheels have a surprisingly low load cargo carrying capacity after filling up on propane and water.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2400 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"I have the 6500 version"

Copy Cat

But...BUT... but. mine is NOT 240. [emoticon]

Just move a couple wires around.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

PhilipB

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/20 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like others have said, it'll be propane, not gas like your Raptor.

2015 Ram 2500
2013 Raptor 310TS

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reason we went with a Montana High Country was because it was the only one in our price point that came with a gen prep option for the Onan. Grand Design Reflection, Jayco Eagle etc. did not, not even as an option. I think all the "higher end" ones do though... Montana, Solitude, Redwood. But sub-60k, Montana HC was it from what I could find. We had the generator installed ourselves after purchase from an authorized Cummins dealer/installer, it was a little cheaper than having the dealer do it.

We came from a toyhauler with the on-board gas Onan as well. This new one is propane, and honestly I liked the gas one better. It seemed more efficient. We're actually buying a 4500 portable generator for use when it's colder, because the onboard uses up a lot of propane.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

I think most any 5th wheel has a generator prep package.

We too thought that and found we were sorely mistaken.

edatlanta

Maplesville, AL Home Base

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 03:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JAC1982 wrote:

The reason we went with a Montana High Country was because it was the only one in our price point that came with a gen prep option for the Onan. Grand Design Reflection, Jayco Eagle etc. did not, not even as an option. I think all the "higher end" ones do though... Montana, Solitude, Redwood. But sub-60k, Montana HC was it from what I could find. We had the generator installed ourselves after purchase from an authorized Cummins dealer/installer, it was a little cheaper than having the dealer do it.

We came from a toyhauler with the on-board gas Onan as well. This new one is propane, and honestly I liked the gas one better. It seemed more efficient. We're actually buying a 4500 portable generator for use when it's colder, because the onboard uses up a lot of propane.

I have a 5500 Onan that was factory installed and it is gas. I like it a lot. Right now I'm using it to provide power since the entire town is dark after the storm passage a couple of hours ago. I find it a lot easier to fill a gas tank than a propane tank and the gas tank lasts a lot longer. I use non-ethanol gas in my rig and keep stabilizer in the fuel year round. I also run the generator 1 hour under load the first of every month. So far it hasn't failed me. Today's run will take the place of the normal run on the first of the month obviously. 2 hrs running as of right now and I would expect 6-8 hrs more to go. Lots of lines and trees down.

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" I use non-ethanol gas in my rig and keep stabilizer in the fuel year round."

Running non-ethanol gas I see ZERO reason to use a stabilizer.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

edatlanta wrote:

JAC1982 wrote:

I have a 5500 Onan that was factory installed and it is gas. I like it a lot. Right now I'm using it to provide power since the entire town is dark after the storm passage a couple of hours ago. I find it a lot easier to fill a gas tank than a propane tank and the gas tank lasts a lot longer. I use non-ethanol gas in my rig and keep stabilizer in the fuel year round. I also run the generator 1 hour under load the first of every month. So far it hasn't failed me. Today's run will take the place of the normal run on the first of the month obviously. 2 hrs running as of right now and I would expect 6-8 hrs more to go. Lots of lines and trees down.

My previous fifth wheel I ordered the Onan 5500 LP , IMO its great for emergency use like what you are doing, but running them long term is pretty impractical . We used ours a few times when the power has went off in a small RV park we stay at every summer in Montana, and a few other times during that 12 years .

We went to a Montana rally early on when we first bought our 2008 Montana, and it was called the circling of the Montana's . It was dry camping outside Quartzite ,Az. in January . We ran that Onan quite a bit, and I spend a few trips going to Quartzite for propane [emoticon] We very seldom go anywhere we need to run the air conditioner. Our annual trip in the summer in Montana, the weather is pretty mild. Now days with our present fifth wheel, it does not have a onboard generator, all we need if we use the fifth wheel for hunting or whatever with no power, is our Honda 2000, it takes care of any needs we have . I will probably never buy another fifth wheel, and install a onboard generator.

Just got back from a hunting trip, and we ran that Honda off ,and on for 5 days , my wife had it running probably a good 10-11 hours per day. I run it with a 6 gallon extended run tank attached to it , in those five days I went thru about 9 gallons of fuel. I added to the extended run tank the last two mornings before I left camp to make sure it did not run out before I got back to camp.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is yours a Bergs system, or do it yourself?

I had the Bergs dual feed system when I was dry camping at the tracks in the heat, what a great set up ! My 2 Honda's together runnngthe AC's could run forever !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth Wheels with an onaboard Onan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.