Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Fifth Wheels with an onaboard Onan
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth Wheels with an onaboard Onan

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started with a pair of Hondas, but for just a few hours in the evening I had to drag them out set them up and chain them so they could walk away, then after use had to wait for them to cool down before re-storing. They worked, but a PITA. On board, push the button and have power, when down just push the button again, don't even have to go outside. But will admit that good for long term usage.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

I have a factory installed Onan 5500 lp and it's a fantastic option.
I agree if your camping style involves hunkering down off the grid and using the gensets all day long for days in a row, gasoline is a better option.
However if you are a convenience user and use the built in for rest area breaks, lunch stops, overnighting, leaving the dog in the camper. The built- in Onan gives us lots of options vs. a portable genset or no genset at all.
There is no planning , no hauling ,no carrying no set up, no cord pulling, no carb issues, no stale gas or ethanol talk no security issues.
Just push button convenience and you can have full electric wherever you are.

I too think its a fantastic option ,if one needs it . In my case it was a pretty much wasted 4500 dollar option, that one Honda 2000 could have served "OUR" needs , and now does with my present fifth wheel without the onboard generator. For us it was live ,and learn [emoticon]

Very few actually need an onboard genset or must have one in order to camp. However the Onboard genset expands your camping options.
You can overnight most anywhere even in extreme hot weather because you have electric for AC available. You can leave dog in RV on a hot day while you go to lunch or tour an attraction.
You can boondock or visit places and have full use of your RV without planning.
The genset gives you the option to do more. Taking advantage of these options is up to the end user. However without the genset many of these options are unavailable.

We have all those same options with our solar/lithium system. Also with a propane generator you still have carb issues, planning for the purchase of propane and planning for normal maintenance. Just pointing out that having a propane generator (and I used to) isn't trouble free, carefree nirvana. Ours quit working more than once..

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2400 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

edatlanta

Maplesville, AL Home Base

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/20 05:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update:

My power came back on after the storm 2 days ago after being out 3 1/2 days. During this period I was not only keeping my batteries charged and making coffee, etc (OK a bit of TV watching too). I was providing coffee, etc. to several of my neighbors in this area. Total Onan 5500 usage for me over the past few days 31.8 hours. Total time on the generator since new 10 years ago 596.6 hours. I'm certainly glad I bought it.

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Toolguy5

Columbia Station, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have Jayco NorthPoint with a built in Onan generator. Runs off of propane and it came with 3 40 lb propane tanks.

Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

edatlanta wrote:

Update:

My power came back on after the storm 2 days ago after being out 3 1/2 days. During this period I was not only keeping my batteries charged and making coffee, etc (OK a bit of TV watching too). I was providing coffee, etc. to several of my neighbors in this area. Total Onan 5500 usage for me over the past few days 31.8 hours. Total time on the generator since new 10 years ago 596.6 hours. I'm certainly glad I bought it.

I sold my fifth this past spring with the Onan 5500 LP with 126 hours on it , it would of been 13 years old this month, I looked at my order sheet on it ,it was $4500 option. I suspect out of those 126 hours , a lot of that was just running it that hour a month, which I really didn't follow as well as I should have . If so that would have been approximately 150 hours right there on the hour a month, so as you can see, that 4500 for me was not a wise choice. The $600 choice was a lot smarter for "ME" for the Honda 2000, that I bought from a friend used .

My point is some rave about the onboard for good reason, others like me ,not so much .My advice is just don't order one unless you are sure . What you did with that Onan for 3 1/2 days , I just did in 5 days of hunting with that Honda 2000 ,enjoyed my coffee, watched TV when not hunting.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/20 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Is yours a Bergs system, or do it yourself?

I had the Bergs dual feed system when I was dry camping at the tracks in the heat, what a great set up ! My 2 Honda's together runnngthe AC's could run forever !

I have the 2 Honda's as well with the Berg tank. Worked well last November at the Charlotte Dirt Track. All we needed to run was the refrigerator and the furnace. We're thinking about Bristol and Martinsville this spring along with Richmond since we have left over tickets for Richmond and will be there. Bristol will likely snow rather than needing A/C. We have 30 amp at Richmond.
Martinsville who knows. Have you ran two 15K A/C's off the Honda's?

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toolguy5 wrote:

We have Jayco NorthPoint with a built in Onan generator. Runs off of propane and it came with 3 40 lb propane tanks.
I am curious how all three are connected at the same time.
Have only seen regulators with two inputs.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

I had the Bergs dual feed system when I was dry camping at the tracks in the heat, what a great set up ! My 2 Honda's together runnngthe AC's could run forever !

I have the 2 Honda's as well with the Berg tank. Worked well last November at the Charlotte Dirt Track. All we needed to run was the refrigerator and the furnace. We're thinking about Bristol and Martinsville this spring along with Richmond since we have left over tickets for Richmond and will be there. Bristol will likely snow rather than needing A/C. We have 30 amp at Richmond.

I have NOT run the 2 15k AC's on the twin 2200's.. Just never tried to do so...

As far as the race goes... We are thinking about the Dirt Bristol race but that will be a lot of talking DW into as she does not like the cold.. I know that Bristol March race has already been delayed due to snow and sleet.. last year I think??
My Richmond 2021 season is paid in full and I was looking ta the schedule... ONLY the Big Boys in April, no other race is scheduled.. ALL 3 (Big Boys, Xfinity, trucks) in September again..

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/20 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

TxGearhead wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

I have NOT run the 2 15k AC's on the twin 2200's.. Just never tried to do so...

As far as the race goes... We are thinking about the Dirt Bristol race but that will be a lot of talking DW into as she does not like the cold.. I know that Bristol March race has already been delayed due to snow and sleet.. last year I think??
My Richmond 2021 season is paid in full and I was looking ta the schedule... ONLY the Big Boys in April, no other race is scheduled.. ALL 3 (Big Boys, Xfinity, trucks) in September again..

We just got off the phone with Bristol and Martinsville. One ticket for me for Bristol. Wife can't handle the near vertical grandstands. Two camping spots side by side. Two tickets in turns 1/2 at Martinsville and 2 camping spots. Then our leftovers for Richmond.
Yeah it might have been 2 years ago. Rain, sleet, and snow at Bristol. Dang it was cold. If you go there is a private CG on Copperhead Road that's decent. "Start Your Engine" CG. FHU. $400.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

work2much wrote:

Lantley wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

I have a factory installed Onan 5500 lp and it's a fantastic option.
I agree if your camping style involves hunkering down off the grid and using the gensets all day long for days in a row, gasoline is a better option.
However if you are a convenience user and use the built in for rest area breaks, lunch stops, overnighting, leaving the dog in the camper. The built- in Onan gives us lots of options vs. a portable genset or no genset at all.
There is no planning , no hauling ,no carrying no set up, no cord pulling, no carb issues, no stale gas or ethanol talk no security issues.
Just push button convenience and you can have full electric wherever you are.

I too think its a fantastic option ,if one needs it . In my case it was a pretty much wasted 4500 dollar option, that one Honda 2000 could have served "OUR" needs , and now does with my present fifth wheel without the onboard generator. For us it was live ,and learn [emoticon]

Very few actually need an onboard genset or must have one in order to camp. However the Onboard genset expands your camping options.
You can overnight most anywhere even in extreme hot weather because you have electric for AC available. You can leave dog in RV on a hot day while you go to lunch or tour an attraction.
You can boondock or visit places and have full use of your RV without planning.
The genset gives you the option to do more. Taking advantage of these options is up to the end user. However without the genset many of these options are unavailable.

We have all those same options with our solar/lithium system. Also with a propane generator you still have carb issues, planning for the purchase of propane and planning for normal maintenance. Just pointing out that having a propane generator (and I used to) isn't trouble free, carefree nirvana. Ours quit working more than once..

I can't speak for anyone else's experiences, only my own. My Onan has been Nirvana. No carb issues in the 8 years I've owned the trailer. Just oil changes.
Are you able to run 2 A/C's all day long with your solar set up?

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth Wheels with an onaboard Onan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.