cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Schwintek slide system.

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had experience with the Schwintek slide system on a superslide. I always heard and believed that they were designed for smaller, lighter slides but now I'm seeing them on larger slides. I'm just wondering if anyone has them, and if they've had any major issues.
Shopping for Travel Trailer
10 REPLIES 10

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:
We have this slide system on our Outdoor RV. The slide is about 6.5 feet wide. Two years of use and no issues.
A neighbor up the street has a motorhome (I won't give the name, but it rhymes with "Roachman") and he's had fits with the slide. The slide is a biggie, and I don't think there is enough mechanical advantage to move the slide safely.

Just so I'm clear, the biggie slide in the roachmen motorhome you mention is equipped with the Schwintek system?

Thanks all!

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
The big problem with the heavy slides is the tracks wear out. Eventually itโ€™ll jump a tooth, or worse, snap the pinion shaft, which is what did mine in the last go around. Itโ€™s great from a packaging standpoint, but itโ€™s simply not suitable for moving and supporting lots of weight. Next summer Iโ€™ll be adding extra tracks and support arms under my main slide. Like I mentioned a above, itโ€™s been ok on the small slides, although I did lose a motor on one of those as well.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have this slide system on our Outdoor RV. The slide is about 6.5 feet wide. Two years of use and no issues.
A neighbor up the street has a motorhome (I won't give the name, but it rhymes with "Roachman") and he's had fits with the slide. The slide is a biggie, and I don't think there is enough mechanical advantage to move the slide safely.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Both the slides we have use the Schwintek system. Interestingly, on the next model year the manufacturer went to a Lippert system on the large slide. And our large slide has always run slow.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
On the other hand......in my 2021 Grand Design Reflection, I have a Schwintek bedroom slide and one of the motors died after putting the slide out/in four times and had to be replaced. You take a gamble no matter what kind of system a slide-out has. If a manufacturer puts a specific type of slide system in, it can handle it but in my other three bigger slides, I have rack and pinion slide systems so there's reasons for that too.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchmen liked the Schwintek so well they quit using it in favor of cable. I've had nothing but problems with my main slide. I've seen plenty of full-wall slides using Schwintek in motorhomes. Spoke to a Tiffin rep who tole me the slide itself needs to be properly built first.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:

Beyond that, I don't know what your definition of a superslide is, but my TT has a schwintek slide in it that has worked flawlessly for 6 years, and it's a pretty big slide carrying a lot of weight.

The slide in question has a 7' u-dinette and a sofa, probably 12 at least feet long with a lot of storage space.

This brand also offers a heavier trailer of the same floor plan, it's also taller to accommodate the conventional rack and pinion slide mechanism. There is very little difference in the price.

We plan own using this trailer extensively and will go with the more heavily constructed slide system if the Schwintek would be problematic.

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Schwintek slide in our FunFinder. The mechanism has worked without incident for almost 10 years. I wouldn't describe our slide as a "superslide" though. It has a sofa in it so it is probably a little over 6' total length. We did have one issue with it that I was able to resolve myself: Under the slide are three rollers attached to the main frame of the trailer. The slide rides in and out over these rollers. One of mine was impacted with caulk during the manufacturing process, and so, did not rotate. As a result the slide skidded in and out over this immovable roller. The accumulating damage went un-noticed for a time because it was all under the trailer. When I finally discovered it there was some damage to the floor of the slide. I managed to free up the roller and repair the floor and have had no problem since.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Avoid it at all costs on a super slide!

Itโ€™s fine on smaller slides.
My Super slide 3.5โ€™ x 15โ€™. The system was rebuilt at the factory twice. Just had it rebuilt for the 3rd time, out of pocket, at a cost of nearly $5,000. I tried to upgrade to the new 3-track setup, and ORV agreed it would help with longevity, but Lippert said they would not warranty the hardware since it didnโ€™t come with the 3-track setup originally. So... Iโ€™m stuck with the 2 track setup.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Applying my observations from what I know to things I don't have any direct knowledge about, this is what I would surmise.
1. I would assume Lippert designs their slide systems for certain weight ratings (with a factor of safety built in).
2. Manufacturer's wouldn't install a slide system into a rig that would exceed the manufacturer's weight rating for that slide system. There is no upside to doing that and could be very problematic (along with getting someone fired).

Beyond that, I don't know what your definition of a superslide is, but my TT has a schwintek slide in it that has worked flawlessly for 6 years, and it's a pretty big slide carrying a lot of weight.