cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Bag Problem

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
My son recently got a truck that came with air bags. Somewhere around a 2013 Ram. They do not tow with it, but I'm guessing the previous owner did. The truck has started to squat in the rear, I'm guessing a couple of inches at the tailgate below level. Pressure at the airbag gauge is 50-60 psi. If you blow them up to 90+, the truck will level, but be back the next day. So, I'm guessing there is a leak somewhere, but it goes down on both sides. Would think the air bags are independent??? Also, shouldn't the regular shocks keep the truck from squatting without a load?? So maybe new shocks are the answer? Can't post pictures as the truck is a couple of hours away.
Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
Shocks only dampen the bouncing from hitting potholes and such.

SPRINGS hold up the rear end of the truck.

What you need to do is get under there and LOOK when the truck is sagging. Most likely you will find bent or broken springs.

Take the truck to a spring shop. They will diagnose and resolve the problem.

This^^^^^^^

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Shocks only dampen the bouncing from hitting potholes and such.

SPRINGS hold up the rear end of the truck.

What you need to do is get under there and LOOK when the truck is sagging. Most likely you will find bent or broken springs.

Take the truck to a spring shop. They will diagnose and resolve the problem.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible that the original owner lowered the rear of the truck to tow a 5th wheel and used the bags to control the weight. I've read many times about guys complaining that the truck is too tall in the rear for thier 5er and are told to lower the rear suspension then install air bags to level it out once loaded.
Agree need more info on truck.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, presume you donโ€™t mean factory air ride, because you mention a gauge which the OE systems do not have and you canโ€™t โ€œpump them upโ€ unless the system has been hacked into.
Assuming aftermarket bags and a (relatively) light/ no additional load in the truck, your post makes zero sense.
30psi, much less 50 or 90 will Jack the back of the truck up sky high.
Zero psi should result in normal operation.
So unless the springs are totally shot ( still not the issue as 90psi and NO springs at all would Jack the truck up ), you must mean aftermarket air ride like a Kelderman system or similar? (But you analysis still doesnโ€™t make sense.)
And shocks have virtually nothing to do with ride height. They donโ€™t support any appreciable load.

You n the son should take a good look at the truck and do a little research. Whatever the issue, it will be obvious once you spend a few minutes understanding the rear suspension.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2013 RAM??? Little more info plz.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree that shocks are not the issue unless they are seriously binding internally but then you would have a very rough ride. The air bags aren't the issue either, they only lift the truck and if it takes 90psi to get the truck back to where it should be with factory suspension and no load then the factory suspension has failed or has been altered.

It comes down to broken springs, hangers etc. Or, the truck was lowered intentionally and the air bags were added to keep it from bottoming out under load. You might want to find a similar truck and compare the suspensions.

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
If the truck is sagging the shocks arenโ€™t the root cause of the issue. Bent/damaged /fatigued springs would explain a sagging issue. If the truck goes down the road and continually bounces/oscillates up and down that is a shock issue.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
I just went through this with my 2013 Ram 3500. The bags on my truck were aftermarket not factory and because I have had some in older model trucks, I knew they were probably Firestone. I do not have an onboard compressor. If you have an onboard compressor it will complicate a bit to rundown the leak. Get soapy water in a spray bottle like you do to test for propane leaks for your BBQ. Run pressure into the suspension system either max with out a load, or halfway and connect a trailer on it for some weight. Get underneath and spray your fittings and look for the air bubbles. Mine was at the inflation valve fitting. Went to Michigan Truck .Com to buy new valve and changed it out. Problem solved.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
There is a leak somewhere. You didn't say if it was factory air bags, but I'm assuming it is based on the sagging. For aftermarket bags, the shocks/existing springs should maintain the ride height unless they were removed. A spray bottle of soapy water should let you find the leak pretty quickly.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Wether they are independent of each other depends on how the were installed. Proprely they should be tied together.
Most importantly is what the heck an unladen truck is sagging for? Start by putting on proper new shocks. If they do not get and keep it back up where it belongs, then you have another problem. Do you know the history of this truck, how it was used? I suppose that it is possible that someone destroyed the springs,the mere fact that the air bags exist point towards overloading and abuse.
I installed these on my '13 instead of bags.https://www.tuftruck.com/product/ttc-1211-rear-suspension-coil-spring-kit/ In one step I increased the capability if not the RATING of my truck

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Shocks aren't the problem. Probably an air leak. They are not independant of each other.