cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Temp. go before freezing pipes on class a

shannon62
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, was wondering when full timing in a class a motor home & need to visit some one in the middle of winter how long or what is the temp. at when everything freezes? Do we need to get our motor home winterized for this purpose?
Thanks for any info.
11 REPLIES 11

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
-5 c (23 f) if the RV is occupied and the furnace is being used.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If using the RV, down to the mid 20's isn't a big deal as the heat will bleed out and keep the underbelly from freezing. (if there are exposed pipes, such as for the black/gray tanks, you will want those fully drained and if on a full hookup site, leave the valves open on cold nights)

If the RV is in storage (ie: furnace isn't heating the rig), even upper 20's gets questionable.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œSeriously?โ€œ Yes, seriously. Tooooo expensive to repair. Ruins a trip.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most any RV is fine down to 25 overnight while in use. Your Class A I would hope could go a bit lower. Unless the manufacturer gives a specific rating you will need to just go and find out. If you do have a minor freeze up you will need to add heat where needed, head for warmer climate, or find a heated service bay to winterize or add freeze protection.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
CarnationSailor wrote:
Seriously?

You have to worry about pipes freezing if you have the heat on and the temps drop into the mid-to-upper 20's?

I'm sure I've read on this forum where people have camped in single digit temps successfully.

Not all RVs put water pipes or tanks inside the heated space. Where they're located does make a BIG difference.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
If camped in freezing cold weather, it's a good idea to fill the fresh water tank as it acts as a 'heat sink' for the basement.

I've camped when the lows were in the teens in New Mexico. Of course I have basement heat so all was toasty.

Before I was able to secure indoor storage in TN, I had to put the coach in a RV park in February of 2015. It was a cold one too! I used the diesel-fired Espar furnace for 30 days and it used 100 gallons of fuel. I'm glad that I have a 230 gallon fuel tank!

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seriously?

You have to worry about pipes freezing if you have the heat on and the temps drop into the mid-to-upper 20's?

I'm sure I've read on this forum where people have camped in single digit temps successfully.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Any weather prediction of a low of 30F causes me to take safeguards. I donโ€™t want the hassle or expense of repairs.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a lot of latent heat in the water in the tank and lines. As a general rule you don't need to worry about lines freezing up unless you're facing a "hard freeze" which is defined by the temps dropping into the upper 20's (or below) for more than 2 to 3 hours. I've camped in the winter in my RVs and never had a problem following this rule.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
32 degrees F. It all depends on how long the RV will remain at the temperature. 28 degrees overnight should be OK. 26 degrees overnight I'd start to worry. That my $.03.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on lots of things. If you're going for a few days leave the heat on (disconnect the water). If it hovers around freezing the coach will gather heat during the day to keep it from freezing up, but do you want to chance that? If it gets down to like 28 then you had better have winterized!
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew