cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Books for first time RV owners?

KMLsquared
Explorer
Explorer
Good friends of ours just purchased their first travel trailer. They are total newbies, only tent camped their entire lives. They have two young children. I want to get them a book that covers the basics of owning and using and RV. They are not at all mechanically or electrically inclined. I also don't want to scare them with sky is falling type stuff.

Anybody have any recommendations?

P.S. I did search but did not turn anything up.
2002 Doge RAM LB QC 4x4 HO 6spd
2003 Rampage 33TB
2007 CRF80F
2006 TTR50E
2004 CRF70
2002 TTR125L
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja Bug
17 REPLIES 17

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the rv stuff is not that complicated. Help them buy a set of basic hand tools and show them how to replace a tire. I barrel jack is really handy if they have a trailer. Rv tire changes are a little different than on a car. Mostly get them to understand that if they don’t get scared of a problem and think they can’t handle it, just stop and look at it and think it through. They can probably do more than they’re giving themselves credit for.
They also might enjoy a subscription to trailer life or motor home life magazine. There are some informative articles on maintenance and just plain fun stuff, especially for a beginner.
I hope they enjoy the new toy. Happy Travels!!!

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the rv stuff is not that complicated. Help them buy a set of basic hand tools and show them how to replace a tire. I barrel jack is really handy if they have a trailer. Rv tire changes are a little different than on a car. Mostly get them to understand that if they don’t get scared of a problem and think they can’t handle it, just stop and look at it and think it through. They can probably do more than they’re giving themselves credit for.
They also might enjoy a subscription to trailer life or motor home life magazine. There are some informative articles on maintenance and just plain fun stuff, especially for a beginner.
I hope they enjoy the new toy. Happy Travels!!!

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Last week while camping a new TT pulled in alongside us in the evening. They unhitched the trailer, leveled front to back with the front jack, then put out the awning and turned on all the led lights, then got in and went to bed. No chocks, no stabilizers. Fortunately the site was only a small gradient. Was going to talk to them but we had to pull out early in the morning before they got up. They sure need some instructional info!
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Years ago, before we bought our first Class A, I purchased "301 ways to make RV travel safer, easier, and more fun" by Bernice Beard. It's a little dated and "leave it to beaver" but most of the information is still relevant and was a fun and quick read.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Let_s_Go_Explor
Explorer
Explorer
RV'ing for Dummies provides a lot of solid information. It is also something that they can take with / access as they travel, even when they are in areas with less than optimal cellular coverage.

You Tube also has some decent information.
April & Tom (and son Brian when he is in town!)

2021 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5
2021 Ford F350 XLT 4X4 Crew Cab w/ 7.3L Engine and 4:30 Rear.

Life is meant to be enjoyed. Find ways to make it happen! :B

Hiking and Geocaching Rocks!

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
People without mechanical ability did not get that way by accident. I doubt they are going to read a technically oriented book on RVs.

KMLsquared
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the responses!
I guess I should have stated that I will absolutely be a mentor/helper as our families are very close. And YouTube is of course a great help for all things in this world nowadays.

I was really hoping to them a book as a kind of "housewarming" present that they could thumb through at their leisure and keep in the trailer for situations that may arise.

I will check out the suggested titles.

On edit: I have already direct them to this website of course. Most of my knowledge is all from here anyway!
2002 Doge RAM LB QC 4x4 HO 6spd
2003 Rampage 33TB
2007 CRF80F
2006 TTR50E
2004 CRF70
2002 TTR125L
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja Bug

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Allworth wrote:
"RVing for Dummies" sounds insulting, but it is really a good starter.

After seeing some of the questions posted here and elsewhere I think the title is fitting.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two books I have long recommended Camping world should sell one of them

The RV Book
The RV Owner's handbook

Pick one. the major difference in them is the name and the publisher. Both contain nearly exactly the same info.

These are general "Owner's Books" for all RV's so no matter what you have (Other than a Tent) from Pop UP to Class A Diesel Pusher there is info in those books some times better than the factory manuals (only sometiems)

They are both written BY RVers for RVers.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I fact I do - From Amazon either as a book or kindle:

The ABCs of RVing:
Everything you wanted to know about RVing but were afraid to ask Paperback – October 19, 2020
by Chuck Woodbury (Author)

In case you didn't know, Chuck is the force behind the RV Travel news letter.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Amazon carries "the Idiot's Guide to RVing" and "RVing for Dummies"; plus they have trip logs, and guides like "The Next Exit", and National Park info books which are also nice to have.

This. These are good books for newbies although I do agree youtube is the best resource along with introducing them to THIS forum. The people here are full of knowledge and wisdom because there is LOTS of experience behind the advice.

Now, seeing you are on this forum asking then you must have some experience RVing. Be a mentor and help out by showing them things to maintain their trailer and inform them how to properly empty their tanks and such.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
"RVing for Dummies" sounds insulting, but it is really a good starter.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon carries "the Idiot's Guide to RVing" and "RVing for Dummies"; plus they have trip logs, and guides like "The Next Exit", and National Park info books which are also nice to have.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Youtube is great for just this as most can attest to, we did not know a thing about RVing when we got our first TT. Still, our maiden voyage was uneventful in terms of our rig's performance. For books I would think Amazon has it's share, other online book outlets should have some as well.