Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Books for first time RV owners?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Books for first time RV owners?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
KMLsquared

Cotati CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good friends of ours just purchased their first travel trailer. They are total newbies, only tent camped their entire lives. They have two young children. I want to get them a book that covers the basics of owning and using and RV. They are not at all mechanically or electrically inclined. I also don't want to scare them with sky is falling type stuff.

Anybody have any recommendations?

P.S. I did search but did not turn anything up.

2002 HO 6spd LB QC 4x4. Edge Juice w/Att 4" str8 pipe AFE int Skyjacker D25 springs w/10" Fox Shox 2.0 Thuren track bar PSC Steering box w/DSS. Fox Steering Damper w/custom mount.

2003 Rampage 33TB
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/20 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Internet. Send them websites to the basics. Here’s one...

https://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-electrical.html

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Vw triker

Millboro, va

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I watched a LOT of tube...
You don't know what you need to know...until you need to know it

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These days there seems to be more information (and current information) on Youtube than in books and often it's easier to understand it with video than in print. Since you haveRV'ing experience, take a look at Youtube, find some channels that are giving good advice that makes sense to you and send some links over to your friends.

Since I'm usually not out of internet/cellular range when camping, I usually just look stuff up as I need it. Waste valve leaking? I look up waste valve replacement. Slide stuck? I look up slide repair.

Though sometimes I'll come here and ask for clarification or to get a second opinion.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Youtube is great for just this as most can attest to, we did not know a thing about RVing when we got our first TT. Still, our maiden voyage was uneventful in terms of our rig's performance. For books I would think Amazon has it's share, other online book outlets should have some as well.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazon carries "the Idiot's Guide to RVing" and "RVing for Dummies"; plus they have trip logs, and guides like "The Next Exit", and National Park info books which are also nice to have.

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"RVing for Dummies" sounds insulting, but it is really a good starter.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/20 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Amazon carries "the Idiot's Guide to RVing" and "RVing for Dummies"; plus they have trip logs, and guides like "The Next Exit", and National Park info books which are also nice to have.

This. These are good books for newbies although I do agree youtube is the best resource along with introducing them to THIS forum. The people here are full of knowledge and wisdom because there is LOTS of experience behind the advice.

Now, seeing you are on this forum asking then you must have some experience RVing. Be a mentor and help out by showing them things to maintain their trailer and inform them how to properly empty their tanks and such.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fact I do - From Amazon either as a book or kindle:

The ABCs of RVing:
Everything you wanted to know about RVing but were afraid to ask Paperback – October 19, 2020
by Chuck Woodbury (Author)

In case you didn't know, Chuck is the force behind the RV Travel news letter.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are two books I have long recommended Camping world should sell one of them

The RV Book
The RV Owner's handbook

Pick one. the major difference in them is the name and the publisher. Both contain nearly exactly the same info.

These are general "Owner's Books" for all RV's so no matter what you have (Other than a Tent) from Pop UP to Class A Diesel Pusher there is info in those books some times better than the factory manuals (only sometiems)

They are both written BY RVers for RVers.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Books for first time RV owners?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.