Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Books for first time RV owners?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Books for first time RV owners?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Allworth wrote:

"RVing for Dummies" sounds insulting, but it is really a good starter.

After seeing some of the questions posted here and elsewhere I think the title is fitting.

Ridgeway, SC

KMLsquared

Cotati CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for the responses!
I guess I should have stated that I will absolutely be a mentor/helper as our families are very close. And YouTube is of course a great help for all things in this world nowadays.

I was really hoping to them a book as a kind of "housewarming" present that they could thumb through at their leisure and keep in the trailer for situations that may arise.

I will check out the suggested titles.

On edit: I have already direct them to this website of course. Most of my knowledge is all from here anyway!

2002 HO 6spd LB QC 4x4. Edge Juice w/Att 4" str8 pipe AFE int Skyjacker D25 springs w/10" Fox Shox 2.0 Thuren track bar PSC Steering box w/DSS. Fox Steering Damper w/custom mount.

2003 Rampage 33TB
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People without mechanical ability did not get that way by accident. I doubt they are going to read a technically oriented book on RVs.

Let's Go Exploring

Mandeville, La

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV'ing for Dummies provides a lot of solid information. It is also something that they can take with / access as they travel, even when they are in areas with less than optimal cellular coverage.

You Tube also has some decent information.

April & Tom (and son Brian when he is in town!)

2004 Jayco JayFlight 29FBS TT
2006 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 Crew Cab w/ V10 Engine

40 Years and counting camping in tents, an '85 Jayco J pop-up and now a TT! ">

Geocaching Rocks!

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago, before we bought our first Class A, I purchased "301 ways to make RV travel safer, easier, and more fun" by Bernice Beard. It's a little dated and "leave it to beaver" but most of the information is still relevant and was a fun and quick read.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Martyn

Panama City Beach, FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/20 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last week while camping a new TT pulled in alongside us in the evening. They unhitched the trailer, leveled front to back with the front jack, then put out the awning and turned on all the led lights, then got in and went to bed. No chocks, no stabilizers. Fortunately the site was only a small gradient. Was going to talk to them but we had to pull out early in the morning before they got up. They sure need some instructional info!

2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/20 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the rv stuff is not that complicated. Help them buy a set of basic hand tools and show them how to replace a tire. I barrel jack is really handy if they have a trailer. Rv tire changes are a little different than on a car. Mostly get them to understand that if they don’t get scared of a problem and think they can’t handle it, just stop and look at it and think it through. They can probably do more than they’re giving themselves credit for.
They also might enjoy a subscription to trailer life or motor home life magazine. There are some informative articles on maintenance and just plain fun stuff, especially for a beginner.
I hope they enjoy the new toy. Happy Travels!!!

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/20 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the rv stuff is not that complicated. Help them buy a set of basic hand tools and show them how to replace a tire. I barrel jack is really handy if they have a trailer. Rv tire changes are a little different than on a car. Mostly get them to understand that if they don’t get scared of a problem and think they can’t handle it, just stop and look at it and think it through. They can probably do more than they’re giving themselves credit for.
They also might enjoy a subscription to trailer life or motor home life magazine. There are some informative articles on maintenance and just plain fun stuff, especially for a beginner.
I hope they enjoy the new toy. Happy Travels!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Books for first time RV owners?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.