Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Exploded Battery!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Exploded Battery!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/20 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A battery at 9 volts is probably bad and should have been replaced. Do you ever check the water in the batteries? I'd bet they ran dry.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 11:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can afford them consider SiO2 batteries.

As others have said one cell shorted. That probably caused all the other cells to gas (not boil). Once the hydrogen so created got exposed to an ignition source. *BOOM*

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same for your car battery. Keep the water topped of and use distilled water only.

Agree on two 6 volt batts if you have room. Marine 12v batts are not the right choice for an RV, they are an ideal compromise for a boat to start the gas motor, and be able to run the electric trolling motor a little, then start the gas motor again. Otherwise they are not great.
I dont know why the RV industry uses them, or how that got started...

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Co-worker was sitting in a golf cart at work when one its batteries let go. The bang sounded like a bomb. Turns out our golf carts aren't properly maintained.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Shorted cell - boom!

Replace the other battery also. Might be educational to have it load tested but it's toast.

Yep! To the OP, you don't state if your batteries are inside a box or not. If they are inside a box, make sure that there is adequate ventilation.

Chum lee

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a small boat sailor and a licensed ship's engineer that retired and has been doing work on other people's boats for most of the last twenty years. Most now have a house bank that is a pair of GC2s (golf kart batteries). Some still have pairs of 12V jars. I have seen and cleaned up after many more battery explosions that were pairs of 12V jars. If you believe the convenience of two 12V is worth it, carry backing soda on hand as a precaution.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

frankwp

Calgary, AB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I experienced a hydrogen explosion when I connected a jumper cable to the battery post. I was a dumb teenager at the time, but also a lucky one because I didn't get hurt. It wasn't a major event, but it sounded like a gun shot, blew all the caps off the battery, & scared the **** out of me. That was a lesson learned.

2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would recommend mixing a good solution of baking soda in water and spray the area all around the tongue and front of camper to neutralized the acid that was sprayed on the camper from the battery explosion.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

I am... I have seen and cleaned up after many more battery explosions that were pairs of 12V jars. If you believe the convenience of two 12V is worth it, carry backing soda on hand as a precaution.

Matt

I have never seen any RV on here call anything a jar...

Are you saying boaters use golf cart batteries more over marine? or are you saying it is exactly half and half 50/50 and most of the issues are with GC batts, not marine?

It's like the news saying, there are more cases, but ignoring that there is also more testing to reveal more cases that were not revealed when there were less cases. Stop testing, we will have zero cases...

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

I am a small boat sailor and a licensed ship's engineer that retired and has been doing work on other people's boats for most of the last twenty years. Most now have a house bank that is a pair of GC2s (golf kart batteries). Some still have pairs of 12V jars. I have seen and cleaned up after many more battery explosions that were pairs of 12V jars. If you believe the convenience of two 12V is worth it, carry backing soda on hand as a precaution.

Matt

So a 12V has some inherent propensity to explode that a 6V doesn’t??
Roflmao

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Exploded Battery!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.