cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2021 TRIP PLANNING ?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Considering a camping trip from Portland Oregon going to Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore then Silverwood theme park in Idaho. Do you guys do your own route planning or use a service such as AAA?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
8 REPLIES 8

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
Do you guys do your own route planning or use a service such as AAA?

I do my own route planning, past 10 years or so I use the state & local maps on campground reviews.com, I like it as it's easy going back and forth between the maps and reviews.

Sometimes I will use my Google earth pro to get a better earth view or figuring out mileage which I like to keep my trips under 300 MI.

Because I tow a small TT most of the time for the main highways I will have an old fashion map for reference and use my phone GPS for the secondary roads approaching the campgrounds/Rvparks or sometimes a combination of both

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Something to ponder ...

I agree 100% with Dr. Fauci. COVID-19 restriction will likely be in place until 4Q21 or more likely 2Q22.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Stay off the freeway if at all possible. Only use the freeway if you are in a big hurry. The great sights and scenery are not need most freeways.

I use US 12 out of Lewiston, Wa. when I go East from Springfield, Oregon. KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Oasis Bob,

I am going to fire a big scatter shot at you, but be ready.
I do it all when planning a serious excursion.

I usually start with my go to with is Street Atlas 2015 (the newest but was out of date when new). If you can find a copy, it is great but it has a very steep initial learning curve.
ยฟยฟWhy do I do this??
Because I have laid in my speeds, perfered stopping time and tank range.
So, as soon as I say "Here" to "Here" it draws a path, tells me road hours and lays out marks for ONP and fuel stops.
So, I put in Portland - to Mount Rushmore and that is 1252 and 22 road hours.
So, I added Fishing Bridge at YNP an FHU park and now we see 1310 and 24-1/2 rhs.
Put in Silverwood south of Athol and we now have 1355 and 26 rhs for the whole run. So, the diversion to the amusement park was not a killer.

It is 397 to Silverwood. That is a long day.
Another 498 to Yellowstone. I would plan to break this up unless you can co-drive.
And 460 to Mt Rushmore. Ditto

I also have an address book full of stops I would like to make, some are dreams of someday.

In your case, you really should consider the Museum of the Rockies (Look up Jack Horner - you want to see that). It is about 6 miles off the planned track, a couple or 4 hour stop 6 hours from Silverwood and possibly a place to find a stop for the night.
From there it is 2 plus hours to Fishing bridge.
From Yellowstone it is 459 to Rushmore. There is also a good stop at the museum in Cody (You will never guess who that is about).
Crossing the Big Horn makes it a day.
You will want an ONP stop about Upton or Osage.
Rushmore is a good stop, but not a real time killer.
As you unwind from there, add Crazy Horse as a stop. It isn't cheap, but it is good. The restaurant there is great and tell them you plan that at the gate. They might give you a break.

This all took about 20 minutes for me to assemble. Before I commit to it, I will check all the individual legs on both AAA online (free) and Google Maps because SA is sooo OOld.

I will also use all the area guides and AAA guides (now online so unavailable on the road), and pull in paper maps also from AAA. Paper maps still work when the electronic stuff shoots *****....

Unfortunately, I have not found another - newer package that can do what I just did. Many can sort of do most of it. Some only want you to stop at cramp grounds that they know about. And none of the on-line can adapt when you make changes on the road. I keep looking.

I hope this was a help.

Matt

Silverwood in Athol

right there on the river and Silverwood just south of Athol and it cam back with 397 Miles and 7+ road hours.
Then I put in Old Faithful. Now it says 872 miles and 16 RHr.
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Oasis Bob,

I am going to fire a big scatter shot at you, but be ready.
I do it all when planning a serious excursion.

I usually start with my go to with is Street Atlas 2015 (the newest but was out of date when new). If you can find a copy, it is great but it has a very steep initial learning curve.
ยฟยฟWhy do I do this??
Because I have laid in my speeds, preferred stopping time and tank range.
So, as soon as I say "Here" to "Here" it draws a path, tells me road hours and lays out marks for ONP and fuel stops.
So, I put in Portland (right on the river)- to Mount Rushmore and that is 1252 and 22 road hours.
So, I added Fishing Bridge at YNP an FHU park and now we see 1310 and 24-1/2 rhs.
Put in Silverwood south of Athol and we now have 1355 and 26 rhs for the whole run. So, the diversion to the amusement park was not a killer.

It is 397 to Silverwood. That is a long day.
Another 498 to Yellowstone. I would plan to break this up unless you can co-drive.
And 460 to Mt Rushmore. Ditto

I also have an address book full of stops I would like to make, some are dreams of someday.

In your case, you really should consider the Museum of the Rockies (Look up Jack Horner - you want to see that). It is about 6 miles off the planned track, a couple or 4 hour stop 6 hours from Silverwood and possibly a place to find a stop for the night.
From there it is 2 plus hours to Fishing bridge.
From Yellowstone it is 459 to Rushmore. There is also a good stop at the museum in Cody (You will never guess who that is about).
Crossing the Big Horn makes it a day.
You will want an ONP stop about Upton or Osage.
Rushmore is a good stop, but not a real time killer.
As you unwind from there, add Crazy Horse as a stop. It isn't cheap, but it is good. The restaurant there is great and tell them you plan that at the gate. They might give you a break on entry - used to.

This all took about 20 minutes for me to assemble. Before I commit to it, I will check all the individual legs on AAA online (free) and/or Google Maps because SA is sooo OOld.

I will also use all the area guides and AAA guides (now online so unavailable on the road), and pull in paper maps also from AAA. Paper maps still work when the electronic stuff shoots *****....

Unfortunately, I have not found another - newer package that can do what I just did. Many can sort of do most of it. Some only want you to stop at cramp grounds that they know about. And none of the on-line can adapt when you make changes on the road. I keep looking. I like this because it keeps track of when we last fueled and suggests where to think about it again. (This is where Gasbuddy comes in.)

I hope this was a help.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
So far we plan our own way with the help of a gps. Iโ€™m in my 50s and been driving a truck locally for several years. So as long as we stay within a 6 hr radius weโ€™re pretty good.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
Considering a camping trip from Portland Oregon going to Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore then Silverwood theme park in Idaho. Do you guys do your own route planning or use a service such as AAA?

1st figure out how much time do you have for the total trip. 2nd. figure out how much time you want to spend at each of your destinations. Get a good Rand Mc Nally atlas map and start setting up alternative trips that best match #1 and #2.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I plan my own trip. Before RVing, did use AAA Trip Planner with destination.